1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a 4K TV required for Genie2 (HS17) Installation.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gordon1fan, Mar 10, 2018.

1. gordon1fan

gordon1fan AllStar

Jun 27, 2007
    Talladega,...
    Is it required to have 4K televisions in your house to upgrade to the Genie2 (HS17)?

Last week I talked to a DIRECTV rep about upgrading to the Genie2. Since I had the protection plan I would qualify for a free upgrade. I ask her if it was required for me to have 4K TVs with the install of the Genie2 and she said that it was not required. I said good because later I’m planning on upgrading my television to a 4K TV.

So this afternoon I had a DIRECTV tech (AT&T) to come out to my home. The first thing he asked me do I have 4K televisions, and I said no I do not. He says that the Genie2 will not work unless you have a 4K television. I told him that the DIRECTV rep said that I did not need a 4K television for the Genie2 install, and he said that she misinformed you. He also said that the Genie2 (HS17) was junk. I ask him was it the hardware or software and he said software. So I canceled and sent the tech guy on his way.

They need to fix this or they going to have a lot of truck rolls that not necessary.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    You should have a 4k TV before the HS17. The 4k TV takes a different mini and it has to be setup and activated by the tech. If you did not do it this way then you would be charged for the mini and the installation after you got the 4k TV.

They do need to educate the CSRs.

gordon1fan likes this.
  3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The installer was wrong. The Genie 2 can run any TV off a C61K. It's their policy, though, to not install unless you have a 4K TV in house. The CSR should have known the policy.

gordon1fan likes this.
  4. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    I had the HS17 and two C61Ks installed in August. I made it clear that only one of the sets was 4K. No problem with the CSRs I spoke to and no problem with the installer who only showed up with one C61K and had another installer drive over and bring the second.

gordon1fan likes this.
  5. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Since when? The genie 2 works just fine in a non 4k system. When was it reported it’s for 4k customers only? Ive never seen that before...

gordon1fan likes this.
  6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    since for new customers

gordon1fan likes this.
  7. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I think limitation is due to limited supply so far - that would also be why only for existing customers. I could understand that a while ago but HR17 has been out for a while and you'd think they could build all they would need

gordon1fan likes this.
  8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They could, but that doesn't mean they are. They may have intentionally limited its quantity with the intention of ramping up production with future models. Learn what its flaws are, make sure they are fixed with the HS27, then release the HS27 and produce it in higher numbers to allow it for both new and existing customers (and maybe, eventually, more than one per account)

gordon1fan likes this.
  9. gordon1fan

gordon1fan AllStar

Jun 27, 2007
    Talladega,...
    Thanks for the reply. I’ll guess I’ll just wait until I buy a 4K TV and they work all the bugs out in the HS17 software. If I remember right when they come out with the first DirecTV DVR it took them a while to work out all of the software bugs. Should’ve stayed with TiVo, it was much better!

The tech guy said that my current TVs would not work at all on the HS17 Genie2 then he went on a rant about the Genie2 being a piece of junk. When he arrived around 12:30 he already look like he had a bad day, was not friendly at all looked to be in a bad mood. When I ask him did he have a bad day already and he said no just trying to beat the rain.

10. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Installers are hit or miss. I've been quite lucky and have had wonderful and professional installers. No way I'd put any weight into what someone with the attitude you're describing is saying.

gordon1fan likes this.
  11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    He was flat out wrong.

No need to wait for a 4K TV if you're ready for it now- the HS17 is all right.

gordon1fan likes this.
  12. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    But they won't (generally) install the unit unless you have a 4K tv on premises. There are good reasons for this, won't try to elaborate, but it's not a lame policy at all.

13. gordon1fan

gordon1fan AllStar

Jun 27, 2007
    Talladega,...
    Had to call DirecTV back last night because my DirecTV online status had me down as having a Genie2 with one genie mini. I was told by the tech that he would cancel the order. I called back to DirecTV to ensure that the order had been canceled and I did not have a Genie2 install. Also came to find out that they discontinued my protection plan without my consent. They canceled my protection plan for some reason I don’t know. They had my account all messed up. They said that I would be fine next time I called to have my free upgrade scheduled. I sure hope so!