1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a Joey required?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by dbconsultant, Mar 10, 2013.

1. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    We currently have a 622 that has performed well for many years but the hdmi output has now died and we are starting to see other anomalies as well. The one receiver feeds the living room tv (TV1) and the rest of the house gets TV2 output (TV2 used for bedroom, den, office and spare room TVs) via coax off some sort of splitter attached. We're one of those odd couples who don't watch different shows from each other and don't need to control the dvr from other rooms so no need for a second receiver of any type.

My question - can we have this same setup if we upgrade to the Hopper? Or will Joeys be required to receive tv in each of those rooms?

Another question, we are currently paying 74.99 for AT250 and 7.00 dvr service fee. Are there additional fees that will apply with the Hopper?

I would love to upgrade to the Hopper - looks like a great receiver but don't want to have to go the "Joey" route.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Long time no see-a-post...

I could be wrong, but I think you will need a Joey. I do not believe there is a coaxial distribution option on the Hopper.

3. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Hi Stewart - guess a satisfied customer means a "non-posting" customer! But I always know that when I have questions, this is the place to be!

Bummer about having to get Joeys. Didn't want the extra expense for rooms where we rarely watch tv. Guess I'll consider a 722 instead.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is no coax output on the Hopper but RF modulators are easily available that can be connected to the SD outputs and feed RF to another set. I would not give up on having a Hopper simply because of the lack of an RF output.

All outputs should be hot and showing the same program ... so HDMI to the local TV and SD via RF to the second TV would be similar to what you are getting on TV1 of the 622. If you want TV2 to be different a Joey would be required.

5. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    I'm wondering if that (RF modulator) is what I already have on the 622. You're allowed to giggle at my non-tech terms: There is a little box where the dual satellite antenna cables go in and then there is another little box where the lines go out to the other TVs. Do you think one of these is an RF modulator or is it simply a splitter? Would have to dismantle my shelving to look at it!

6. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Huh. Well, the whole reason I was entertaining the idea of the upgrade was because I thought my 622 was approaching death. I've been experiencing a "lockup" issue (black screen, no response to remote control) for the last few days. Now I see that this issue has been being experienced by people on various units, 622 included, for the last year. So I'm hoping it's a software problem and that they will fix it! In the meantime, I am backing up all my recordings to my EHD, just in case.

Thank you, James and Stewart, for your input and assistance!

7. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The current box is likely a type of splitter (called a separator) that allows the TV signal and satellite signal to be carried on the same coax. It does not create the RF signal ... that is done by the modulator inside the 622.

A modulator would be a separate powered box with RCA inputs and coax output.
    Here is an image of one (styles vary):
    [​IMG]

8. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I hadn't thought of James' idea... I always forget about RF modulators.

That would be a possible way to go, especially if you don't need the bells/whistles you get from a Joey.

9. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Thanks, guys! If the DIRT that contacted me can't resolve the problems we're having with our 622, this may be the way I can get a Hopper with all its wonderful memory and some new bells & whistles!

So, if I do go this direction, the cable that would normally go to the Joeys would connect to the input of the modulator and then my TV2 cabling would connect to the output of the modulator so the modulator would push the signal to the rest of the house - is this correct?

I appreciate the clarification, the images and the assistance!

10. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Ok, wait a second, I just re-read your post. So the rca outputs from the Hopper would go into the modulator and the coax output would then transmit the signal to the rest of the house with my TV2 coax that I now use.

So now I would only need to split the rca outputs because they would need to feed both the modulator and the dvd recorder I use for recording old movies to take on our camping trips! And that's no big deal because there are tons of rca composite splitters out there!

Thanks again for your help, James!

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just a reminder (and it seems you are on the right path) that the "TV2" cable needs to be separate than the coax feeding the Hopper. If you will be feeding OTA to the Hopper (using a OTA module) that needs to be separate too. Hopper wiring does not allow combining OTA/TV2 signals with the satellite feed.

12. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Thanks, James. Yes, the TV2 coax is separate so I plan on running the RCA composite from the Hopper into a composite splitter that will feed both an RF modulator and our dvd recorder. Then I'll output from the modulator to the coax that feeds the rest of the house. We live out in the hills so OTA is not a factor unless you really like watching static! :lol:

If DIRT can't resolve my 622's issues, I'm really hoping that this will work!

13. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Ok, well, I called Dish and, on Monday morning, we will be the proud new lessors of a Hopper and one Joey. Didn't get the sling version because we just don't need the sling abilities - where we camp there isn't any wifi and no cellphone service either! We did get the Joey because the rep I did the order with said they don't charge extra for the Hopper & one Joey - $10 a month period. No charge for the Hopper and no charge for the install so looks like all I'm paying to switch from our 622 is $36 more a year so I'll be happy with that.

I did get my rf modulator and splitters for the rca composite but I'm thinking that I'll just use that Joey - we can always move it to where we need it for as much as we watch tv in other rooms. So I may be taking back the modulator and splitter but I'll have it on hand in case I change my mind once I talk to the install tech. The rep I spoke to indicated that the tech might be able to "suggest" a way that I can have both so we'll see.

Again, thank you, James and Stewart for your input!

Now that I'm getting a new receiver about which I'm sure I'll have questions and I'm over cancer and hubby's recovered from heart surgery (change our names to "Lucky"! :lol:) you'll probably be seeing more posts from me again!

14. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    There is no charge for the 1st Hopper but the Joey should run you $7 a month. The dvr charge of $10 for the entire account.

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm with garys... that is the first time I've heard of a Hopper and a Joey with no extra charge. IF that makes a difference in your decision, I would definitely double-check that because I too thought it was $7 for the first Joey.

16. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    What a run-around! I was told when I called Dish to ask for the Hopper that I would automatically get a Joey since I was replacing a 622 but that there would be no extra charge since it was only one Joey - the representative I spoke with said that my bill would only be $10 a month not $17. I can't tell you how many times or how many ways I asked him to verify this. Since I'm already cabled to mirror my 622 and I could mirror the hopper via an rf modulator, I didn't really need the Joey but the rep said it would be sent anyway and that I could just stick it in a closet and not use it. He also told me that I didn't need the protection plan to waive the install charge after I told him that I had AT250. Before the installer arrived, I started thinking that having the Joey might be nice because we could get hd on the other tvs but we'd have to move it from room to room and only one other tv at a time would work (couldn't have hubby watching in the office while I watched while changing linens in the bedroom). But at this point I was considering having the Joey hooked up so we'd have HD on the patio.

The installer showed up with a work order for just the Hopper, no Joey, and the installer didn't have any on his truck. After he left, I called Dish to see about the Joey and found out that they had also signed me up for the protection plan which I would have to keep for 4 months to avoid a penalty. The person I spoke with this time not only told me that I had been signed up for the protection plan, but that there would be an additional $7/month for the Joey and that, since I'd signed off on the work order when the installer left that I was now locked into a two year contract and couldn't change anything!

On top of that, the mirroring isn't working well because the cables under my home are rg59 not rg6. The tv in the office looks crystal clear but the rest of the house is snowy and staticy (rf modulator works well - we ran a line straight out of it to the tv on our patio and the picture was wonderful so we figure the cables going to the other areas are not good or there is a bad splitter under there somewhere that just can't handle the Hopper's output even though it worked for the 622).

So now my options were to re-cable under my house with newer cables to get the rest of the house working or give up the hopper and get a 722 to replace the 622 that had been taken away. The guy kept trying to brush me off with a "Sorry you're dis-satisfied but you signed off on the work order so have a nice day and thank you for calling Dish" so I demanded a higher level rep (and he was a higher level to begin with) and, at this point, being irate but trying to remain calm, I had him remove the protection plan, scheduled a visit to replace the Hopper with a 722, and flag my account to not be penalized if I don't stay the entire 24 months. I felt like a victim of "bait and switch" and was fed up with the whole situation.

The 722 is scheduled for next week. Now that I've been watching the Hopper for a couple of days, unfortunately, I really like it. The picture is better and the interface is great. So, I'm in a quandary at this point since my remaining TV's no longer work - pictures on all but one are snowy and I have an extremely unhappy husband. I have a cabler coming to tell me what it would cost to re-cable with newer cables under the house and hopefully it's not too much but I still feel like I was totally mis-lead by the Dish reps that I spoke to.

I spoke with three different reps and they all told me that my bill for dvr service and equipment would be $10 not $17 (and I asked them just that several times, "Will it be a total of $10 or $17?"). It will be expensive to re-cable but at least all my TV's will work again, even though they will only be SD (which hasn't been that big a deal for us as long as the picture was good), and I won't have to shell out $84 per year for a Joey that I would have to move from room to room for the once in a blue moon that I wanted to watch TV elsewhere in the house and that would only work for one room at a time.

Not real pleased with Dish at this point. If I didn't have tons of recordings on an EHD that would be lost, I would change to DirectTV in a heartbeat. That statement is not made lightly; I am a 17 year customer with Dish and was with EchoStar before that.

Mike, the DIRT that had been trying to help me with the 622 pm'd me when he saw that I'd scheduled a Hopper installation. I just pm'd him back with this entire saga as well.

Not much can be done but I'm not a real happy camper with Dish at this point.

17. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Try picking up a signal amplifier from Radio Shack. This worked for me back when I had a 622 with long runs and splitters.

18. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Debi,

You really haven't figured out the correct Dish ssytem for your TVs. You have 5 TVs? If they are all SD except for the primary, 622/722/922 give you one HD TV and whole home distribution to the SD sets. With a Hopper/Joey system, designed for all HD TVs, you would need 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys and you would have a fee for each additional HD TV (as with any other provider). The Hopper was not designed for whole home distribution to SD TVs. If you like the interface, get a 922.

19. dbconsultant

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Thanks. Any specific recommendations on the signal amplifier?

20. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

If you were adding Joeys or another Hopper to the mix under the DISH Service Protection Plan the DISH tech would come out and run new cables(coax) or a new dish,whatever you would need, to make it work for $15.