Is anyone having problems with Amazon's Prime Membership 2-day delivery?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Lord Vader, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Jan 11, 2014 #1 of 168
    Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Along with a few friends of mine, I have been having some problems with Amazon's Prime Membership, specifically its guarantee of 2-day delivery. It seems that Amazon often uses SmartPost or SurePost, which is a method whereby a Prime package is shipped via UPS or FedEx, then turned over to the USPS for final delivery. While this may not seem to be a big deal, it has resulted in my packages being delivered in 3, 4, or 5 days and not the guaranteed 2. What makes it more irritating is that when this happens, I no longer receive the Email/text updates about tracking, because once the item is turned over to the post office, the tracking service that tells a recipient like me the delivery status of their package(s) no longer works. It only works when UPS or FedEx maintains the package at all times.

I normally wouldn't get that upset about a package being one day late. However, I pay $79 + tax for Amazon Prime, and one of its benefits is supposed to be "guaranteed 2-day delivery of millions of items." I am not getting what I paid for. The fact that this has happened to no fewer than a dozen of my packages during the last 2 months doesn't help.

I complained to Amazon about this, but the only thing they can do is apologize and issue me a $10 promotional credit. I'm now wondering if [a] I'm making a big deal of nothing, should be just satisfied with the $10 credit and move on, or [c] pursue something more serious against them because this has been happening quite a lot lately and doesn't seem like it will stop. After all, if I am purchasing a product or service that isn't what it is advertised and guaranteed to be, I feel like I'm a victim of false advertising and deceptive trade practices. Yes, my friends and I have discussed possible legal action against Amazon, even though I'm loathe to go down that route for multiple reasons.

IMHO, this SmartPost and SurePost method is a sham to us Prime members, but are we the only few experiencing this, and are we--or am I--overblowing this?

2. Jan 11, 2014 #2 of 168
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    We have had no problems and we buy lots of [strike]crap[/strike] valuable items. Personally, I'd wait a day or two to get the ten bucks. :grin:

3. Jan 11, 2014 #3 of 168
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Well, if that's for every package that's late, I have no problem with doing that. :D

4. Jan 11, 2014 #4 of 168
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    If they have to do that 8 times a year, and that would be a low percentage of our orders, I'd be happy but they wouldn't.

5. Jan 11, 2014 #5 of 168
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    True

6. Jan 11, 2014 #6 of 168
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I order quite then from Amazon and have never gotten anything Smartpost, and things pretty much have arrived on time, including on Sunday, after Christmas. I do know someone that has had things smart posted.

I am not a fan on Addon items, particularly since they can still be shipped separately, which seems to not be the point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Jan 11, 2014 #7 of 168
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I agree with the add-on items, but that's not part of what has been happening to me lately. Like I said above, I can deal with a package being late occasionally, or late because of weather or similar reasons; but when numerous Prime items are delivered in 3, 4, or 5 days but "guaranteed" in 2, I feel as though I'm getting screwed after paying $79 + tax for something that ends up NOT being what I paid for.

8. Jan 11, 2014 #8 of 168
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Most of my prime orders come UPS. Always on time. Not sure of any benefit to have an add on to any prime order. I guess it just take a little longer to get to the Galactic Empire. :grin:

9. Jan 11, 2014 #9 of 168
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Perhaps. Add-on items aren't an issue here, because I'm not talking about them. I'm referring to regular Prime items, many of which have been delivered via this "SurePost" and "SmartPost" method for some stupid reason. When my Prime items come the normal route via UPS (or even the occasional FedEx Home Delivery), they always arrive in the guaranteed 2 days, but when they come via SurePost or SmartPost, they never come in 2 days. They arrive in 3, 4, or 5 days,usually 4 or 5.

10. Jan 11, 2014 #10 of 168
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Here I go again...

This week alone I awaited two packages, the second of which was more time critical. The first one was supposed to arrive yesterday. It arrived today. The other package, a gift for someone whom I am going to see tomorrow, was supposed to arrive yesterday as well. I still have not received it!!! This is NOT "guaranteed" 2-day delivery! SOMEthing must be done, because I am not going to put up with having paid $79 for Prime but not getting its benefits.

11. Jan 11, 2014 #11 of 168
    dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Smart Post is actually working for me. I've ordered the past two weekends, Sunday afternoon last week and Saturday night the week before. I got both on Monday. Both were Smart Post.

I ordered a Limeade battery today, waiting to see when it comes.

I get everything in 2 days at worst, but more and more I'm getting things next day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

12. Jan 12, 2014 #12 of 168
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I found out a little trick. If they don't deliver an item by the promised date, start an online chat with them, and ask them to extend your prime membership by one month. There is a limit of 12 times that they can do that too.

Of course, it helps if the package is delivered to a commercial address rather than a residential address. :)

13. Jan 12, 2014 #13 of 168
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    You're lucky then, because it's not working for me. I don't mind receiving packages via the USPS, but when 2-day delivery is changed to delivery of 3, 4, or 5 or more days solely because the USPS is involved, then that changes the service. That's also not what I paid for. With these two delayed deliveries this week, that makes for a total (I just recounted everything) of 13 packages in 7 weeks. that were delivered later than "guaranteed."

14. Jan 12, 2014 #14 of 168
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I think I'm going to give that a try. At this rate, I'll be calling every month! :p

15. Jan 12, 2014 #15 of 168
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    We had around 12 orders through Prime in December. All on time. So no problems here.

16. Jan 12, 2014 #16 of 168
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    lisening intently with my apprehensive view to the idea of the cost of Prime.

go on

17. Jan 12, 2014 #17 of 168
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    In the 18 months I have been a Prime Member, I am probably averaging at least a package every two weeks being shipped.
    In that time, I have only had two shipments that miss the 2 day.

1 was a straight out miss, no reason for it, came in 3 days. Amazon gave me $7 credit
    The other, the package was flat out lost by UPS.. never arrived.

Everything else has shown up in 2 days or less.
    I even had one show up the SAME day. (Ordered about 8am, and I had it that evening)

18. Jan 12, 2014 #18 of 168
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Earl, I honestly don't mind an occasionally late package; stuff happens as they say. But when it happens as often as it has to me recently, then there definitely is a problem.

I'm chatting with someone from Amazon right now. You should hear what this person's trying to tell me. OMG! It's ridiculous.

19. Jan 12, 2014 #19 of 168
    Blurayfan

Blurayfan Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Illinois
    In the last few months I've had multiple packages shipped through SuretPost. The expected delivery date UPS shows is usually one day later then Amazon Guaranteed. Fortunately for me I have a UPS MyChoice account and when a package is shipped using SurePost I'm given an option to upgrade it to UPS Ground for $3.50. When I have multiple items in one order I do upgrade the package and receive it delivered by UPS a day earlier than the estimated date, about 8 out of 10 came even a day earlier than the date Amazon showed. Essentially giving me one day delivery for $3.50 per package instead of $2.99 - $3.99 an item.

20. Jan 12, 2014 #20 of 168
    Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I have a MyChoice account as well, but I'll be d---ed if I'm going to pay a $3.50 fee to get my package delivered a day earlier than Surepost says WHEN I ALREADY PAID $79+ FOR 2-DAY DELIVERY THROUGH AMAZON PRIME!

Sent from my EVO using DBSTalk mobile app