1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anything good about the Premier package anymore?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by CarolinaGuy79, May 22, 2012.

1. CarolinaGuy79

CarolinaGuy79 Legend

Sep 9, 2009
    So right now I have choice ultimate so I have the Encore channels and I also have shotime, but was thinking of upgrading to premier but in the age of netflix is anything really good about premier? I have netflix and if I upgrade didnt know if I should cancel or keep netflix.

2. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    this totally depends on your viewing habits.

I frequently want to downgrade, but the family does watch alot of encore, showtime, and HBO/Cinemax so we keep it...

3. bigglebowski

bigglebowski Legend

Jul 27, 2010
    I have premier because for the most part i would rather watch movies then the content on other shows. Watching edited movies on amc etc. is no interest for me. I noticed that i almost never watch movies on encore channels for some reason or another i always can find a better movie on another channel. HBO is worth having for hbo go alone for their vast library of series.

I ended up dropping netflix because i found that i had run out of the movies they had available on streaming and this was back when starz was part of it. The docs on netflix were good but at some point you run out of them too.

4. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    I watch movies on HBO fairly frequently, haven't used HBO Go much since I can only use it on my laptop or cell phone (my desktop PC is old and the processor is slow enough that the vid is a little "jerky"). Seems like with just my wife and I in the house, our viewing habits are varied enough that Premier seems to be our best fit.

I WISH I could hook up a Roku to my system and watch HBO Go, but......:)
    I do like having HBO and the other pay channels on my VOD too.

I don't watch much (if anything) on Encore, only one of the Encore channels is in HD.

Netflix is a different animal for me. I used it's DVD service and the local library to backfill my "library" with titles I'd bought on VHS and couldn't transfer to dvd because the tape had degraded badly. I'm down to 5 or 6 dvd's in my queue and most of those haven't been released yet. On the other hand....I've got about 150 titles in my streaming queue, MANY of those are TV series. prior to my retirement a few years ago I worked many years on night shift and so missed "everything". :lol:

5. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    The ONLY really good thing about it, is if you are a grandfathered Premier sub, which included (at NO extra charge) the DVR service as part of the package.
    Of course, if you do/did watch VERY little of those premiums, then it (was) still a waste of $$$.

6. swyman18

swyman18 Legend

Jan 12, 2009
    For me, premier is the best choice because I mostly watch movies and sports. There has been a few times I've looked into getting rid of Showtime and TMC because ever since they lost the agreements with some of the major movie studios, their selection of movies has been quite weak. But by downgrading to Choice Ultimate, I would lose the sports pack too and it would end up almost costing more to add that back on along with HBO, MAX, Starz and Encore. If I ever did downgrade to save money, I would probably just keep HBO and Starz.

7. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I agree with BAHitman, it depends on your viewing habits. If you are a movie buff and like sports then upgrade to Premier. Throw in HD Extra Pack and you'll have it all minus the Sports packages.

8. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    As noted the grandfathered DVR fees, but for us we don't usually rent many movies and there are movies I want to see and she doesn't and vice versa. So we have a DVR that just records movies. No limits on when we can watch them or how many times. I know I run the risk of that DVR going down etc, but we will never get to watch them all anyway, so I would just start a new collection.

9. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    This is one of the reasons I upgraded to Premier years ago and one of the reasons I'm reluctant to change packages. If I ever lose grandfathered status I will probably downgrade.

10. Carolina

Carolina AllStar

Jan 19, 2012
    I used to think that the Premier Package had all channels included. I'm not talking about special things like MLBEI, ST, etc. But I wanted to record a movie on a channel, but I got a message that the channel was not part of the Package I had. I called D* about this and they said the only way I could get that channel was to downgrade my package????? I said, of course, I didn't want to lose a bunch of channels to get one channel. I didn't think to mention that I didn't think D* wanted me to downgrade my package because they would lose money. But I did think to mention that I thought the Premier Package being the top Package should already have that channel! The CR said she would pass along my request to have the channel to the programming department. But I still don't understand why the channel isn't there already :confused:

11. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What channel?

12. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    The only thing good I like about it . Its free for 3 months!

After that, I will keep Starz and maybe Cinemax or HBO. Bye Bye sports pack and Showtime.

13. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    It was probably a channel in the HD Extra package. There are no channels in the lower tiers that are not in Premier. If it was a movie it could have been on Hallmark Movie HD, MGM HD, HDNet Movies, Sony Movie Channel or Universal HD.

14. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    He wouldn't need to downgrade to get those channels in the HD extra package.

15. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I don't have Premier any more but I signed up for Netflix about 3 months ago and I couldn't be much more disappointed with their streaming movie selection. Most of it is b-rate and/or many years old.

There are a few nuggets but it doesn't take long to work through those.

They have a nice selection of the George Carlin HBO specials but my wife really hates stand-up so there isn't much there for the two of us to sit down and watch together.

16. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    I love Premier. I tried to downgrade but I only lasted a few weeks. I don't do Netflix and I love the original programming on HBO, Starz and Showtime. As long as I am a D* customer I will always have Premier.

17. TomK

TomK Godfather

Oct 18, 2010
    I happily downgraded from Premier to Choice Extra because I wasn't watching any of the movie channels. I can get my tv needs from the local network stations, MLB Extra Innings, and Fox Soccer Channel and GOL TV.

18. scott0702

scott0702 Member

Nov 25, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I try to downgrade to another package but D* keeps giving me credits to keep it every time I call in so i keep it. I think it's worth it if you plan to have choice extra or above and subscribe to at least 3 premiums including HBO. Premier doesn't cost that much more.

19. Carolina

Carolina AllStar

Jan 19, 2012
    No I have the HD Extra Package. Another case of a CR that hadn't a clue what she was trying to talk about. The movie was on a DNS channel. And, of course, since I have my local channels I don't have DNS channels. I didn't even know that I had this channel :lol: In the Search Guide the movie was only listed on the DNS channel so that is why it wouldn't record.

20. Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation Mentor

Apr 16, 2012
    same old movies playing over and over again, a crippled GOL TV, blackout in RSNs unless you have EI/CI/LP, yea, nothing much left...