Is AT&T Charging $7/Mo for Suspended Directv Accounts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by RACJ2, May 22, 2019.

1. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    AT&T just charged me $7 on my suspended account. I suspended it for 6 months and am using YouTube TV until NFL ST starts. When I called to get the charge removed, the CSR said that is what they charge per month for a suspended account.

Is anyone else paying $7/mo for their suspended account?

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Yes, it's the standard charge now.

3. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    Thanks for the confirmation. It would be nice if they disclosed that, when I suspended the account in March. Not that it would have made a difference, but they should make you aware of it.

4. Spoonman27

Spoonman27 Cool Member

Jul 12, 2009
    I just suspended mine Monday and no mention of this fee to me either. I've never heard of it before. I would have suspended anyway but just another example of how bad ATT is. I've never really considered dish too much but may have to reconsider. Trying the streaming services and I'm impressed how bad their guides are.

5. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    You may not see the full $7 charge on your first bill after suspending. Mine appeared on the second billing after I suspended my account.

Not sure if you meant Directv Now streaming, but its overpriced now that they changed the plans. YouTube TV is a much better value with unlimited DVR recording. If you don't care about sports, Philo is a very inexpensive streaming service. And the guides are much different on all of these streaming services vs Directv satellite guides.

6. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    This is precisely the strategy a company should use to win back those suspended customers....charge them $7 a month for nothing (other than storing your company's crappy equipment for you). These guys are utterly clueless and the sea change that continues to build is going to continue to eat them alive.

7. Spoonman27

Spoonman27 Cool Member

Jul 12, 2009
    I haven't bothered with Directv Now due to the price. Tried Hulu live and PS Vue and was done with them within a day due to the poor guides. I'm with YouTube TV for at least the next month. Might just go with sling at that point. Not much in terms of sports after middle of June that I need and can't get with Sling until football season.

8. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    If your account hasn't migrated to the AT&T system yet (i.e. still receiving the DTV style billing/managed by DTV.com) then there is no charge. If the DTV account has been converted to AT&T system (i.e. managed by AT&T.com, new 9-digit account number) then the $7/mo suspend charge applies.

9. rccoleman

rccoleman AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    Interesting, thanks everyone for pointing this out. I suspended my account through the automated voice assistant last month (customer since 1999) to evaluate YouTube TV as a primary television source and didn't see or hear any verbiage about a monthly fee online. I hadn't yet migrated to AT&T, so that could have been why. In any case, I just canceled yesterday. I called earlier this year to see if they could offer me any discounts and they just flatly said "no" despite escalation to cancellation.

For now, YouTube TV + the free Comedy Central app + HBO Now on an nVidia Shield gets me everything I need, plus I added Plex and an antenna for better-quality locals and automatic commercial skipping. All for $30 less per month than I was paying for DirecTV.

crkeehn likes this.
  10. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I suspect the charge is there due to the "fraudulent / abusive" abuse from people gaming the system.

11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You should have tried again. Earlier this year, they were being EXTREMELY stingy with discounts. I had to play CSR roulette 5 times before I got it put back on. April / May time frame is a whole new ball. They are back to handing out discounts like candy. I got one of my biggest discounts EVER on my first call and I didn't have to argue at all or point out competitor prices. I just said I was looking at cancelling due to the price and the lady says, "here... have $40/mo off for a year.".

dreadlk likes this.
  12. rccoleman

rccoleman AllStar

Oct 10, 2007
    Good to know, I suppose. Seems like a terrible way to run a business, though.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It is a terrible way to run a business. Kinda looks like they're trying to run it into the ground.

Rich

dreadlk likes this.
  14. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I think what really happened is that AT&T wanted to get out of the discount business. Kind of silly if you think about it to offer huge discounts lol. Then the drop in subs on the last ER was a wake up call for them.

My parents have Time Warner and they don't negotiate at all, so my parents dropped their package. Believe me, TM had the last laugh. My parents are now getting BRUTALLY r-word. Their internet went from 220 to 100 and they literally get about 20 channels in the package. They are paying about the same as I am... for 1Gbps + Preferred Xtra :eek:.

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I think ATT is in panic mode. They have an alibi for everything.

Rich

16. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I doubt they are in panic mode. Don't they have 22M subs? If they continue losing subs at the current rate, it'll still take them about 11 more years to get to zero lol.

Me personally, I still like the traditional service experience (though I'm hedging my bets by investing in streaming companies ;)): trick play, no buffering, etc.

Now that I upgraded my POS HR24 to the HR54, I've gotten used to the new UI and the speed issues have gone away. I actually LIKE a few things in the new UI that are easier for my OCD usage patterns to use. I.e. how they group upcoming airings by season. Before, I had to scroll through all the eps and either know what time the new eps come on, or kind of memorize the episode titles. Which worked fine, but the group by season way is faster.

I did also try to watch a few shows on the free VOD service through the HR54. WOW. How can people watch that? You can't FF through the 5 minutes commercial breaks. That wouldn't be so bad if they didn't play the same 4 commercials over and over.

By the 3rd episode I watched, I wanted to smash my TV every time the girl needing a whole village to help her graduate college ad came on, or the one where the phone addicted guy gives his wife his phone when he steps in the car. I gave up on VOD.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I gave up on D*'s VOD years ago. I do check it out from time to time and it hasn't gotten any better. Wonder how Dish's VOD is?

Rich