Is AT&T Hedging their bet with NFL ST?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Athlon646464, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Mar 9, 2019 #1 of 42
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    From a story at this blog:

"In its promotion that permits new customers to get the Ticket for free in 2019 if they sign a two-year agreement, DIRECTV now states: “NFL Sunday Ticket subscription will renew automatically in 2020 and each season thereafter, provided that DIRECTV carries these services,(italics ours) at the then prevailing rate unless you call to change or cancel by the date specified in your renewal notice.”

According to the blog, the phrase "provided that DIRECTV carries these services" was recently added to the agreement.

2. Mar 9, 2019 #2 of 42
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Not sure about all the behind the scenes... but I just can't see NFL ST on cable

I feel like att / D* would loose like 10M customers and restaurants and bars

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

3. Mar 9, 2019 #3 of 42
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There has been some discussion of the NFL leaving DIRECTV. It is good for AT&T|DIRECTV to acknowledge the possibility, especially when committing new customers to a two year contract when they cannot promise that the content will be available. There is a standard disclaimer that covers the possibility of losing channels, but Sunday Ticket is unique enough that it deserves special mention.

NFL Sunday Ticket on cable would be difficult but not impossible if streaming is used. I could see Xfinity trying to deliver Sunday Ticket - I can also see that attempt fail if they try to serve commercial establishments who put every game on some screen and expect full HD quality.

4. Mar 9, 2019 #4 of 42
    compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Wasn’t here just a thread on this?

5. Mar 9, 2019 #5 of 42
    Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    I thought so too - and searched and searched, but could not find one about the wording change.

6. Mar 9, 2019 #6 of 42
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It has been a while since we discussed the possibility of the NFL ending the deal with DIRECTV. The disclaimer change is new news to me.

7. Mar 9, 2019 #7 of 42
    Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    Massachusetts

Don't you know it. I go to the store today to end my 21 year romance with AT&T wireless and hop into bed with Xfinity Mobile. Then March Madness continues in a few weeks with a 30 day trial of their full blown tv package and 1 Gig internet vs. my current D* Xtra package and the one big change will be me getting MLB.TV instead Extra Innings. All 3 of Xfinity's sports packages (MLB, NHL, NBA) have 2-4 HD games a night, the rest in SD. All 3 sports have "beta" products that show all games in HD but with no rewind or pause functions. They have been in beta for THREE, yes, THREE seasons.

If they do get NFL ST, open your windows, you'll be able to hear the screaming from miles away. They do SOME things right. Sports and full blown HD (premium movie channels) are not 2 of them.

And this discussion doesn't even go down the 1080 vs 720 road.......

8. Mar 9, 2019 #8 of 42
    dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Yea cable is hot garbage

Only 3 HD games a night , also com crap is compressing all channels down to 720p

Some politics person needs to step up get rid of POS cable and everyone should have access too FTTH

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

9. Mar 9, 2019 #9 of 42
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Actually, Xfinity could VERY easily now do this (in full HD quality on ALL games), as they are already now doing it on their other season ticket packages (MLB-EI, NBA-LP, NHL-CI, etc.) via their IP-based linear TV offerings. The only catch is, you have to have X1 boxes to view...which they are not installing in commercial establishments yet. But that's supposed to be changing very soon, as they are wanting to get as many people off their old legacy EPG platforms, & onto X1. As someone else mentioned, there's no DVR or trick play functions on these season pass channels...but obviously you DON'T need that in a bar.

They also have added 3 new IP-only HD cable channels to basic TV packages, Newsmax, i24 News & Z-Living...along with a whole slew of a la carte international channels, many that are in HD as well. Of course, you must have X1 boxes to receive any of these new channels...HOWEVER, unlike the season pass channels, at least the 3 basic channels above, CAN all be recorded &/or trick play functions used; I've seen it firsthand. (not sure on the internationals, as I don't know anyone that has them...)

These initial IP-only channel offerings appear to be "beta tests" of a much larger IP-only offering; once they get the vast majority of their TV sub base on X1, they would most likely start migrating lesser viewed &/or premium channels to their IP-only platform (think premium channels, etc.) which would then enable them to free up more bandwidth by needing less & less QAM-based channel capacity.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  10. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Sunday Ticket disclaimer?

Legalese here, nothing more.

Since there is even a remote chance DirecTV may lose ST, they must protect themselves from lawsuits from customers claiming they signed up because of ST.

Not much to see here if you ask me.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Xfinity X1 is "full HD quality"? Not by recent reports. Channels are being reduced in resolution and bandwidth.

dtv757 likes this.
  12. Athlon646464

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Except that this 'legalese' changed just this week. Couple that with recent rumors and the speculation has heated up.

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The NFL's chance to opt out of the contract with DIRECTV comes at the end of 2019. This is good timing for the disclaimer to be added.

14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Since the NFL is able to end the contract early after the upcoming season if they want (otherwise it ends after the 2022 football season) Directv has to put that language in there since they can't absolutely guarantee they will have it the following season.

Realistically the NFL couldn't afford for Directv to not have it unless they had a LOT of other partners. Neither cable nor streaming offer the reach Directv does to cover all the bars and restaurants that currently carry it, which are an important part of the NFL's strategy to maximize viewership.

So while it is possible the NFL could decide to renegotiate and offer it on a non-exclusive basis, both the NFL and Directv have very strong incentive to make sure Directv continues to carry it. Dish is the only possible option for a partner to carry it on an exclusive basis, no single cable company nor anyone's streaming has enough reach for the NFL to offer it to them as an exclusive.

15. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Those reports are re: the (legacy) QAM based HD channels...which DID most definitely started happening a couple years ago. The IP-only offerings, are on a separate part of their network, & because IP takes up less space, shouldn't need the level of compression to save space, like the QAM service does.
    Unfortunately, because those X1 boxes have NO native pass-thru capability...as well as the fact that there really isn't any duplication of the (HD) IP-only channels in QAM, it's going to be more difficult to judge just how much reduction is being done on the IP streams. I don't have an X1 box, as I have Tivo's, so I have not had a lengthy amount of time to judge any of the IP-only channels myself.
    And to be honest with you, because Tivo's DO have N/P, the (more compressed) QAM HD channels, IMHO, don't look all that much worse, than DISH does. (since I have both it's easy to readily compare them)

16. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    The NFL is never going to give a provider the exclusive rights that only a subset of their customers (aka only those who have a X1) will even be able to access. It would be like if DirecTV made Sunday Ticket a HS17 exclusive or if Dish got it and made it a Hopper 3 exclusive. Not to mention having the X1 requires that you also get internet from Comcast, so it isn't available to their television only subscribers who rather use fiber via their telco provider since it's faster than Comcast in many areas, or people living in areas where the X1 isn't available at all, since Comcast has a history of neglecting some acquired areas. Plus the X1 "exclusive" channels are usually limited to things that tend to be distributed OTT like Cheddar, or lesser channels who rather take the limited X1 only availability vs not being carried at all on Comcast like I24 News and some international packages, they wouldn't do it for something major like the NFL.

Not to mention, Comcast does NOT have a nationwide footprint, there will be major cities, including NYC, Dallas and most of Los Angeles, where it won't be available at all, along with other NFL cities like Buffalo, Charlotte,
    Cincinnati, Cleveland, Green Bay, Indianapolis, Kansas City, New Orleans, Phoenix and Tampa. Even if they do it via iNDemand, who handles the NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS packages for digital cable and telcos, they would be at the mercy of individual systems, since there's tons of systems who still don't offer the out of market packages in HD, or don't offer out of market packages at all, including systems lagging behind on upgrades owned by the 3 major providers who co-own iNDemand Comcast, Cox and Spectrum. Not to mention to consolidate their C-Band transponder space, iNDemand recently switched to 720p only for their HD feeds, even for games that originate on 1080i networks.

The NFL is its own monster that requires dedicated feeds, so for satellite it isn't just remapping RSNs they already carry with some bonus feeds of non-carried channels. For Dish, they would need the bandwidth set aside on Sundays for 15+ additional HD feeds on both arcs and 15+ additional SD feeds for the western arc (since the NFL won't let them make the package HD only). While each cable system would need additional dedicated feeds since many systems do not support IP/switched delivery for their entire subscriber base, if they support it at all, and because of the schedule overlap iNDemand can't just repurpose their existing GAME and TEAM channels for NFL.

dtv757 and TheRatPatrol like this.
  17. wxman2003

wxman2003 New Member

Feb 28, 2015
    I can see Apple or Amazon driving truckloads of money to the NFL HQ to get them to opt out after the 2019 season.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I agree. If the NFL walks away from their exclusive contract with DIRECTV I expect them to sell to everyone like the other single sports packages (NFL, NBA, NHL) and probably offer their own streaming service. Not being exclusive will lower their value to DIRECTV, so (as I like to say) there is math involved. What choice would make the NFL the most money?

If for technical reasons Xfinity can only offer the package to X1 subscribers the NFL would still be making money off of other providers. I doubt the NFL would go exclusive with any other provider than the status quo DIRECTV.

19. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I wouldn’t say there was reports. It was pretty much confirmed fact. And how many exact markets are they offering IPTV. I suspect the number is small right now

20. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Xfinity can do it With X1 just need to rush that out to commercial establishments. But they may also risk some big cable card laws issues even more so if the FCC changes in 2020.
    QAM can be done as well.