1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is CBET being added to Detroit locals?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DS0816, Jan 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    Hello,

Thursday night, at about 8 pm/ET, I was flipping through locals on DirecTV. Weird thing happened. Lots of the channels were listed, but did not appear, at least twice. My locals are as follows: WJBK (DT2 -- Fox); WDIV (DT4 -- NBC), WXYZ (DT7 -- ABC); WDWB (DT20 -- WB); WXPD (DT31 -- Pax); WADL (DT38 -- Ind.); WKBD (DT50 -- UPN); WTVS (DT56 -- PBS); and WWJ (DT62 -- CBS).

I went to Ch. 62, and five versions of the channel appeared -- DT 62, as well as WWJ62[*]001, followed by ...002, ...003, and so on.

Surprisingly, CBET popped up. No programming. But it made me wonder if DirecTV will be adding this Canadian channel -- it's CBET, Ch. 9, in Windsor, Ontario (CBC affiliate) -- which I would like to see happen.

Don't know if this was some testing thing. But it was weird to encounter. Kind of got me excited and wanting to see if anyone here could shed some light.

Thanks, D.S. :grin:

2. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    What receiver were you using? Is it an HD receiver with OTA capability?
    Maybe you picked up the digital OTA of 62 and those were subchannels.

3. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    I have DRD450RG, RCA 450. It still shows those channels. In fact, with CBET, there is no programming but there is programming information. In fact, the only programming I'm getting are on channels with the Detroit DT prefix -- such DT2, DT4, DT7. But I'm not getting any programming on channels with the call letters.

jdspencer, what are subchannels?

4. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    I called DirecTV about this. To whomever I was speaking was stumped. This person asked me, What exactly is your question? to which I responded, Sir, I've been clear in telling you what's going on, and that I was trying to find out if there was additional programming.

I asked this person why I'd have five separate channel listings for WWJ, Ch. 62 (CBS) in Detroit. Programming appears on channels with the Detroit -- DT -- abbreviation. But there's also WWJ, WWJ62-001, WWJ62-002, WWJ62-003. I'm like, What the hell is this?

What really piqued my curiousity was seeing CBET, Ch. 9 (CBC) from Windsor, Ontario pop up. No programming. But there was programming information.

So this is what I was asking the DirecTV customer service rep. Unfortunately, it's issues like this one for which these employees aren't properly trained. He was probably in an entirely different area of this country, looked at this listings I get from Detroit, and didn't think to give this one to, say, engineering. In fact I asked him, Do you have someone there who can answer my question?

I'm just really curious as to what this all is. (Anyone posting here at DBSTalk.com -- also from the Detroit market -- has to be wondering as well.)

5. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I wonder if CBET and WWJ have some broadcast agreement for their digital signal? This is what I would do: call CBET and ask them.

CBC Windsor
    825 Riverside Drive W.
    Windsor, Ont.
    N9A 5K9
    TEL: (519) 255-3411

http://www.cbc.ca/windsor/contact/index.html

6. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    Here's the current listing of my locals on my DRD450RG -- RCA -- receiver (Friday, Jan. 14, 2005, short of 8 am/ET):

DT2

WJBK

2-001
    WJBKDT

2-002
    WJBKDT

DT4

WDIV

WDIVDT

4-001
    WDIVDT

4-002
    WDIVDT

WXYZ

DT7

7-001
    WXYZDT

7-002
    WXYZDT

CBET

DT20

WDWB

20-001
    WDWBDT

20-002
    WDWBDT

DT31

WXPD

DT38

WADL

38-001
    WADLDT

38-002
    WADLDT

WKBD

DT50

50-001
    WKBDDT

DT56

WTVS

56-001
    WTVSDT

56-002
    WTVSDT

WWJ

DT62

62-001
    WWJDT

62-002
    WWJDT2

62-003
    WWJDT3

62-004
    WWJDT4

62-005
    WWJDT5

This is awfully weird. The programming that actually shows up are the ones with "DT" -- which stands for Detroit -- preceding the over-the-air channel number (DT62, for example).

7. jimisham

jimisham Legend

Jun 24, 2003
  8. ramcm7

ramcm7 Legend

Aug 1, 2002
    DT also stands for digital transmission. These are the digital broadcast signals, as opposed to the analog broadcasts. Does your STB scan for OTA ATSC channels, like some of the HD receivers? I might expect this from a reciver that is scanning for OTA locals. In that way, you might expect to receive Canadian broadcasts within range. Do you have an OTA antenna or cable feed going into that receiver, either directly or through a multiswitch? Can you see if you have received a software upgrade recently? Very interesting.

Alternate hypothesis: Perhaps the Detroit locals will switch from feeding an analog signal to DirecTV to feeding a digital signal?
    :confused:

9. mattsarz

mattsarz AllStar

Jan 14, 2005
    I've had that happen on my RCA boxes before. It means absolutely nothing. If you reset your receiver, they all go away.

10. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Your receiver must have OTA cabability and you scanned for the channels or something (or it did it on it's own if it rebooted or lost power). Even if not an HD receiver, many SD receiver have OTA capability (my way old 2nd gen Sony receiver did, don't remember if there was guide data though for the OTA channels).

I have the Hughes E-86 and I have always had what you describe. For example, channel 8 which is NBC I'll have in the channel list:

DT8 - From DirecTV
    8 - Analog OTA
    8-1 Digital OTA (NBC HD)
    8-2 Digital OTA (UPN)
    8-3 Digital OTA (Radar)

I can choose to have any combination of this in my guide. Since this is my HD only box I only have 8-1 appear in my guide.

Same will appear for all other channels as well. DirecTV channel first, then analog OTA then Digital OTA and subchannels.

11. ramcm7

ramcm7 Legend

Aug 1, 2002
    I was under the impression that only the HD receivers supported OTA ATSC reception. Perhaps your old Sony had an NTSC tuner for analog signals, but I doubt it tuned in digital channels, HD or SD.

12. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    This is not HDTV. I have an RCA -- since January 2002. It sounds like mattsarz's explanation may be the one that applies to me. I would have to reset the receiver.

I was hoping this meant that CBET was coming to me -- though I wasn't betting on it, because it's outside the U.S. (but within antenna reach and on cable systems; it's a fringe channel).

As for testing, that's what I was also thinking about. Detroit is the number-ten market, and is apparently going to be amongst the first of a group of TV markets in which DirecTV will have local HDTV stations made available (this year or next, I guess).

Again, I'm going to drop this issue; but it's apparent to me I should reset my receiver as a test to see if these extras go away. (You should know that I counted 38 listings when there's just 9 DirecTV-delivered, Detroit-DMA listings.)

13. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Correct. Digital channels didn't exist in 1996. ;)

14. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    I think Dish Network and DirecTV would be smart to include some of those Canadian stations (and Mexican stations, for that matter) in the qualifying DMA's.

15. DS0816

DS0816 Guest

Mar 29, 2002
    UPDATE At 9 pm/ET Friday, Jan. 14, 2005, I unplugged my equipment and plugged it back in just minutes later. This prompted my RCA to reset. The result: All those excessive listings went away. mattsarz's suggestion for me worked -- and I thank that individual. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.