1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Charlie selling vacuum cleaners now???

Discussion in 'The OT' started by STXJim, May 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. May 9, 2002 #1 of 24
    STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    Today I received my Billing Statement for my Credit Card Auto Pay.:)
    I couldn't believe what accompanied it. There was an insert soliciting me to buy an Oreck Vacuum Cleaner. And if I purchase one I will (FOR FREE) receive a $100 cordless iron and a $165 portable vacuum...you know; the one that picks up a bowling ball!
    Since when did Charlie start selling vacuum cleaners???
    I wish he would go door to door........
    I'd invite him in to see if the Oreck could suck the bugs out of my Dishplayer.:D
    I guess this is 'Plan B' if the merger falls through.:hurah:

2. Ronmort

Ronmort Godfather

Apr 23, 2002
    Hey wasn't this banned on the other forum? I couldn't believe that a funny little comment like this could actually be censored. Is the moderator Charlie's brother-in-law or what?

3. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I am not sure I can figure out that lock either. Especially with some of the things that are allowed to go on. But this is why we need two forums. But why some people over there think they need MORE moderation baffles me.

4. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Some people need a sense of humor, other need just need a good stiff drink. :)

I was trying to figure out the lock myself.

Hey guys I would rather a Orek Vacuum ad in my bill then an Enerex or Blusaunt ad. :D

5. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The other guys buy their padlocks in large quantities at Sam's Club. What good is having all that awesome power if you don't wield it with a heavy hand.

Here is the other moderator's initial assessment of the offending thread.

"Oh man,this thread looks harmless,sounds harmless,smells harmless and probably is harmless."

Probably IS harmless? :confused:

Then, with the prescience only a forum moderator can possess, he peers into his predictive-text enabled crystal ball and says

"...But for some reason I see disaster right around the corner."

I need to take this guy to Vegas with me!

To preempt the possibility of the chance of a problem is just a wee bit premature. But then, the guys over at the other place never did have much of a sense of humor, IMO.

Nick :smoking:

6. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    My opinion is that all threads are considered innocent untill proven guilty. :D

Of couse now in their admin forum they will say we are picking on them, which in this case we are :p

7. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Yeah, I feel the flames hitting my butt already. :)

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Not to fear, guys. Here on Nevele, the eleventh planet, we have developed a new virtual asbestos butt-shield that will ward off the flames of wrath.

I'm uploading a six-pack as I speak.

The Nickster :smoking:

9. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Topic made me laugh as soon as I read it......personally I enjoy these type of threads. :lol:
    No need to be serious all the time. :)
    I'm not sure Jim, but I think I got one of those adds in my bill once before.

10. Guest

That forum is incomprehensible.

They just don't understand that it is not a question of more moderation or less moderation.

The concept of REASONABLE moderation is lost on them.

Reading the "tattle whines" in the Administrators Forum would be funny if it weeren't so pathetic.

11. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    wouldn't "reasonable moderation" be considered an oxy-moron????

12. minnow

minnow Legend

Apr 25, 2002
    Actually, I've noted that the activity here is greater that at "the other place". People just get sick and tired of the big brother atmosphere over there. It just seems like things are going along smoothly and someone with a title comes along and feels the need to assert his manhood. In my opinon, unless a topic degenerates into name calling or threats, leave it alone. Those with an interesting theme will continue and those lacking will die out on their own. :)

13. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Actually you pretty much summed up what we try to do here. Of course, it always doesn't work out that way but we do the best we can.

14. Guest

How about moderate moderation?

15. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    Well, E* DOES insert these very ads on some of their basic channels, where they allow the local cable systems to "drop in" local ad avails. I know this, because several times, I've had the same channel up on E* AND on my local cable system. On my local cable, the national ads continued to run, usually with a promo for that channel, while E* ad was for Enerex, Blousant, etc.

16. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002

To me the tattle tale stuff is clear violation of their code of conduct and really hurts the sense of community. But at this point even their mods seem to think it is OK and I see we are allowing it here too. So be it I guess.

I even tried to start a thread about what is and is not OK in the admin forum but did not get too far.

But maybe I am the only one that sees it that way.

17. Frapp

Frapp Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Most of the mods over there simply remind me of a young store manager with a huge ring of keys on his belt. He is the same as everyone else, but the keys ( in this case, keyboard ) seem to give him control over the world. Or so he thinks.

Some of those mods appear to be a bit older than i am, but they sound more and more like children all the time.

18. Guest

>"No explanation owed to you, nor is one going to be given to you."<

Huge ring of keys, indeed.

19. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I believe that they wer afraad of an obvious bad joke. I guess civilization as we know it would have ended if someone had gone there. But you know what---no one did!

But we all know what the philosophy is there. And when we go there we are accepting it.

20. STXJim

STXJim Legend in my own mind

Apr 22, 2002
    Geronimo,
    Actually, my thread was based on fact. I really did get an Oreck insert in my bill.
    Did anybody else?
    I just made fun of it and turned it into a joke.
    Peter...was it really that 'bad'? :(:crying:...:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.