Is directvprotectionplan@mcmgo.com a spoof?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by huzbo, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Mar 7, 2015 #1 of 56
    huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI
    I received an email from directvprotectionplan@mcmgo.com titled Directv Protection Plan.

It seems to indicate that I have signed up for the Protection Plan, which I haven't. On some of the links in the message I get a warning that mcmgo is blacklisted, do I really want to go there? I don't see anything in my account that says I signed up.

Is this just a spam? It seems to have my correct acct# shown as Plan Number.

2. Mar 7, 2015 #2 of 56
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    This should be your first clue . . . do all the links in the mail go back to them? or some .ru or .jp . . .

3. Mar 7, 2015 #3 of 56
    huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI
    They all seem to go to email.mcmgo.com

4. Mar 7, 2015 #4 of 56
    Mgibsoj

Mgibsoj New Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Palm Bay, FL
  5. Mar 7, 2015 #5 of 56
    huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI
    Well, I just learned from D* that this is in fact a client of theirs. I also learned that the PP is automatically enrolled for me whenever a replacement or technical service is required. I can cancel it, but then I'll be charged the full price of the receiver.

6. Mar 7, 2015 #6 of 56
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    There is something not right there, receivers are always covered. All the PP does in regard to receivers is it waives the $19.99 shipping and handling for a replacement and if you own your receiver the replacement will be owned. Without the PP the replacement for an owned receiver is now leased. Where the PP really comes into play is service calls. $49.99 without, free with PP. Auto enrollment never happens

1 person likes this.
  7. Mar 7, 2015 #7 of 56
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have the Protection Plan. It's strictly customer's decision to enroll, not automatic. Sounds like a scam.

8. Mar 7, 2015 #8 of 56
    Mgibsoj

Mgibsoj New Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Palm Bay, FL
    Thanks for the update - I stand corrected. Not a good way to run a business - can't tell their clients from the scammers. Glad to hear that your plan number wasn't accessed through some other means though...

9. Mar 7, 2015 #9 of 56
    huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI
    I just got off the Live Chat with D*. They informed me that was the new policy. I also thought it was as mentioned above, but apparently it's been changed. Nice that they don't tell about it, eh? Probably buried in the new fee structure.

10. Mgibsoj

Mgibsoj New Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Palm Bay, FL
    Starting to sound like an AT&T company.

11. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Still doesn't sound right. Did you get the person's name and ID number you talked with?

12. huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI
    No

13. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Call back (1-800-531-5000). Get them to confirm in writing that this is legit and get names and ID numbers from everyone you talk with.

14. huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI
    Ok, so now off the phone with D*. Talked to someone named Taylor (couldn't understand his accent to get #) who confirmed that that was the policy. Got transferred to Technical, Tammy 416175. She seemed pretty knowledgeable. According to her, this has been the policy for at least as long as she's been there, 2 yrs. Offered to cancel the PP. Said they wouldn't charge the $99 for the H24 since it's already been provided. But since I'm also still having another issue with HD on an H20, ( I decided to keep it for now until that's resolved in case I need a service call. She didn't have any knowledge of mcmgo.com since that's not in her area. The reason they automatically add PP is to save us the cost of the replacement receiver and the shipping. She did add 3 mon free HDMovie pack for the trouble.

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Something is still wrong. What exactly is going on that you needed replacements and such. They don't charge full pop for replacements.

16. huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI
    One H20 had distorted video from the composite outs and nothing from the component outputs. I called and explained the problem and they sent me an H24 as a replacement at no charge. I was a bit surprised that there was no shipping charge. On the same date they signed me up for the PP, allegedly to avoid the replacement and shipping charge. However they never told me about it at that time. I found out about it today and at least 3 CSRs told me the same thing. I'd inquired about getting that receiver replaced a few months ago when it first started acting up and was told that they charge full price for replacements plus shipping without the PP.

I have no idea if anyone else has gotten a replacement recently for just the shipping without the PP.

17. inhd40

inhd40 Mentor

Jan 26, 2013
    I recently got an HR34 replaced for free with no shipping. I just checked my account online and could not find anything but my new statement should come out tomorrow so I should know then if I have been enrolled. They said nothing about PP when they told me they were shipping a replacement for free.

18. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I know this is a little off topic to the thread topic. But, the distorted video could be due to bad RGB cables. These are analog signals, so the quality does matter. The ones supplied with the receiver are crappy.

19. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  20. huzbo

huzbo Member

Feb 20, 2015
    MI