1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Dish HD really worth the price?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by cablewithaview, Dec 27, 2009.

Is Dish HD worth the price?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    81.1%
  3. Undecided

14 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. cablewithaview

cablewithaview Cool Member

Jul 22, 2007
    I've been thinking going to Dish HD after a hiatus for a few years now. What is your over all view of the pricing and programming?

2. JeffChap

JeffChap AllStar

Feb 10, 2007
    99% of the content I watch is HD. Definitely worth it to me.

3. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    HD is deffinately worth the price no matter who your provider is. Check to see who offers the programming you like in HD. It does vary greatly between companies.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    HD is great.

Dish has very competitive pricing, particularly for bad economic times.

Depending upon your preferences Dish has
    • ALL the programming you could need and want
    • OR the programming you need but not everything you want
    • OR none of the programming you need.
    Every provider can be described similarly. Fortunately there are options for every taste.

You didn't mention it, but Dish does have some great equipment - equipment I complain about here - but great equipment nonetheless.

Oh, and did I mention, HD is great! But no broadcast or cable TV offers quality higher than 1080i/720p, so if you're used to BluRay on a 108" plasma forget watching TV.;)

5. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    I know a lot has been said about Dish picture quality vs DirecTV but I was at my Sister/Brother in law's house over the holidays and their picture quality with DirecTV left a lot to be desired, with an HR21. And their TV is almost identical to mine, same Panasonic Viera class, theirs could be a bit smaller, but not by a lot. I would have had to mess with their config and look behind the media cabinet to be sure everything was setup and wired correctly, so it might just be that, but things looked much grainer than they do on my VIP722. So this is not fanboy evidence for Dish, I just found it interesting after how I have heard so much about the Dish PQ vs DirecTV

6. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I've been with Dish for years, best equipment, best programming, best HD, and best pricing.....service on the other hand is nominal, much like Direct or any other cable/whatever supplier.......and to be clear I have no financial affiliation with Dish.....except I pay them.....

7. cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 22, 2004
    I gladly pay for the HD programming. I went to my in-laws last week, they have a Dish SD receiver (301, I think) hooked up to their 37 HD LCD and I thought it looked terrible, but they don't mind it. There's no way I could sit and watch TV like that.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Dish is best for HD bar non.

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    What a waste! No offense to your inlaws. I try to avoid SD channels, but TCM has many great movies.

10. cablewithaview

cablewithaview Cool Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Is Dish offering HD only programming?

11. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Yes the Turbo packages are still available, just not advertised.

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    What a crock. They dont offer a ton of sports programming I want. Nice try though.

13. ibglowin

ibglowin Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 10, 2002
    They offer all the HD Sports programming I want at a price I want to pay!

Thank you Dish Network, your the best!

14. CoolGui

CoolGui Icon

Feb 8, 2006
    I think you missed the point of what he was saying...

15. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Actually he didnt really hit me in any of this.

Depending upon your preferences Dish has
    ALL the programming you could need and want
    OR the programming you need but not everything you want
    OR none of the programming you need.

They dont have all the programming I want, They dont have anywhere near all the programming I need or want, and they do have some of the programming I need so miss on all sections. My response would be that they have part of what I want but not alot of what I need.

16. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    Do we know what channels are in these packages?

I had the HD bronze way back when but when FXHD came out it was in silver and it required you have the corresponding SD silver package in order to get it so I switched(but later dumped all HD and went to dish family to save money). Any chance it's in the HD only package now?

17. fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    I like hd better than SD content. Who wouldn't?

18. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Take the HD listings online for the addons. Drop FOX News, MTV, Nick and VH1 from Bronze, BET, FX, MSNBC and Speed (Maybe NBATV also) from Silver and Fox Business from Gold, and forget the Platinum HD channels too.

19. archer75

archer75 Godfather

Oct 13, 2006
    Any idea what the prices are?

20. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    $30/$40/$50 for Bronze/Silver/Gold, before locals.