Is Dish protect a waste of money?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by carl robbins, Sep 18, 2018.

1. carl robbins

carl robbins Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Portland oregon
    I'm a new Dish customer and got six months free of protection plan and wonder if I should keep it at end of trial or cancel and take my chances.

2. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    I would say it's 50/50. I recently got a new remote at no charge. Without the protection it would have been $49.99. However, that's only a few months of protection money. Since you are a new customer I would say it's not worth it. After a year or so revisit the topic.

carl robbins likes this.
  3. carl robbins

carl robbins Member

Sep 5, 2018
    Portland oregon

I think I'll cancel at the 6 month point before I have to pay.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    It used to be that you could call Dish, add the protection plan and on the same call, use it for a problem you were calling in (needed to keep the protection plan 6 months). I'm not sure if that is still the case.

carl robbins likes this.
  5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    That is still true. No do not keep the protection plan past the six months. If you have a problem that would cost you money to have them come out, you start the plan in the same call you have them come out. You must keep the plan for a few months I don't remember how long then can drop it. Most often that cost is less than the service call, AND you are protected for a few months if anything else is needed.

carl robbins likes this.