1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Dish slowly adding sub networks to it's channel line up?

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by pjs344, Jan 19, 2017.

1. pjs344

pjs344 New Member

May 21, 2014
    Idaho
    I have notice 3 local sub networks added on Dish. Some say this is not the same channel as ota. (Get, Grit and Laff) But the viewed programs and listings match with the ota networks? So how can they be different networks. Hopefully MeTV, AntennaTV, comet, Retro and Cosi will be added when my contract with Directv is over so I can make the switch to Dish. It would be a big plus with me to have these networks. My parents live in a big city and they get all these ota channels on there TV. But I don't get any ota tv in the rural resort town that I live in and I have no choice but cable or sat to get TV. The available internet is really to slow for streaming HDTV at this time.

Adding these ota network to the Dish line up would help to deal with the ota tuner cost and listings issues. Most of these networks would cost Dish little to nothing to add them to the line up. It should not be a local station rebroadcast
    problem if you cant get your local stations ota and if they don't carry
    any these sub networks.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Why pay little or nothing for a channel when you can get the channel to pay you? DISH carries infomercial and shopping channels for a fee (or other compensation, such as referral payments and commissions). When one looks at the diginets one has to remember WHY the local stations carry any content: for filler between their commercials. The bottom line at most stations is to make money. "Serve the community" is not a bad idea - but the stations want to make money. And the diginets provide content that is popular enough that people watch it (and the commercials).

It is sad to think that a station can make more money off of an infomercial than commercials in a show but there are a lot of channels that play infomercials during off-hours. They would not do that if they were not making money.

cielohajames2005 likes this.