Is DTV support now 10000x more horrible than a few years back?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JMCecil, Mar 22, 2018.

1. JMCecil

JMCecil Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I've been a D* customer since the early 90s. I have never had a problem with support before. But, I just tried to drop a few premium channels. It took me over an hour and 5 different people over 3 attempts to call. Disconnected the first time, CSR couldn't call up my account the 2nd time said she would transfer me, but instead it put me onto the AT&T phone service call system. It took almost 20 minutes just for me to figure out the dude on the other end wasn't with D* but AT&T as he fumbled around trying to find my account info. 3rd time finally had to go through a bunch of the sales pitch crap, only to have her cancel the wrong services ..

I have always had good experience with D* support up until this call. I'm just curious if this is now the norm?

Steady Teddy likes this.
  2. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Pretty much the new norm with AT&T.

3. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Called 2 weeks ago to drop some premiums - took about 15 minutes and got half off premiums for 6 months instead.

ericknolls likes this.
  4. Visman

Visman Legend

Feb 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I bundle my DirevTv and Internet but I always call the DirecTv number to make changes to my servers. I never call the AT&T number because they don’t know Sh#t. Next time call 1-800-Directv.

5. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    I've actually had the opposite experience, but I never call anymore. I just use the chat function on the website and it's been smooth as silk every time. From package changes, to discounts, to equipment orders, to a temporary suspension, to sports subs, every interaction has been pleasant and - most importantly - without confusion. I'll never call again.

ericknolls likes this.
  6. JMCecil

JMCecil Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I did call the directv line. The CSR transferred me to the AT&T line when she couldn't load my account to make changes.

7. JMCecil

JMCecil Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I didn't even know that feature was there. Thanks for that info.

sangs likes this.
  8. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    You're quite welcome. I'm a stickler for having things in writing and the chat has an option to have the entire transcript emailed to you when it's concluded. It's the only way I roll when I need to contact Directv anymore - for anything. They've never once told me I need to call instead.

JACKIEGAGA likes this.
  9. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Why didn't you just go online? Sign in to your DTV account and do it yourself. You have the option to do that. I have been a customer since about 2009. I have known to do this over nine years.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

10. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    At least when you use chat you’re communicating with a rep who understands English. I think.

11. JMCecil

JMCecil Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    I tried, but it said I had to call to remove premium channels when I clicked the x to remove the programming. And, the number it tells you to call is NOT D*, it is AT&T that is completely separate to D* and those guys have no idea or access to your D* account.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Call this number 1-800-824-9077, customer loyalty department. They are usually good. Do it during USA normal business hours.

13. JMCecil

JMCecil Godfather

Jan 20, 2007
    It's all done. I don't see a point in calling that number. I was just curious if this was the norm. I don't use support often. I think the last time I did was a little over a year ago when we moved. I think I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've call support in the 20 years we've had D*. I just had never dealt with anything like wrong phone numbers listed in the popup, being forwarded/transferred to AT&T, being transferred to the wrong department, having the stupid voice agent forward you to the wrong agent even though it recognized "cancel HBO", getting dropped during a transfer, having the wrong programming changed etc...

It was a total FUBAR and really shocked me to be honest. I got asked 3 different times if I was interested in AT&T phone services. This process cured me of ever having the remotest interest in AT&T for anything. Even the Bill is now totally obfuscated like an AT&T phone bill. The old bills could be confusing, but at least everything was on there. Now everything is under "programming" with no way to see what you are actually paying for anything.

Anyhow, rant over.

14. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Good luck with that. I have a transcript with an AT&T rep that said i qualified for a special promotional deal. When it didnt show up on my bill, i used that transcript to try to convince them i should be getting that deal. "Doesnt matter what the Chat said, the CSR was wrong and we're not going to honor it."

15. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Worked for me. I was getting a hardware upgrade for free, they had charged me for it, I showed them the chat transcript and was given a refund. Couldn't have been any easier.

16. Duke Sweden

Duke Sweden Active Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Yep, same here. I always use the chat function. Smooth as silk and you can keep them on while you check to see if they did what you asked them to do (within reason, of course).

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Monterey...
    Some just like to ***** and moan, or to create drama where none need to exist. C'est la vie!

Rich likes this.
  18. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    Ok... Maybe they changed the way you drop certain channels or programming. I know sometimes they advertise making upgrades, downgrades and reviewing your account online. Meaning - Bypassing the 800 number. I forget AT&T has taken over DIRECTV.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

19. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    I have found the best way to get true customer service from DIRECTV is to make sure you call between 10AM and 5PM then you will usually always get someone in the USA, not the Phillipines or India, who do not know what they are doing when you call about discounts,etc. The number I call is 1-866-678-9471 and they know who I am by my phone number that comes up with my account.

20. techguy88

techguy88 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    As long as I can remember DirecTV never allowed customers to cancel premiums (like HBO) via directv.com. Clicking the X button directs you to call them the only exception I have seen is with the Movies Extra Pack (formally known as HD Extra Pack).

I usually call the 1-800-531-5000 number and tell the IVR I want my "Contract End Date" or "Disconnect My Account" and it will route me to a Loyalty CSR. With Loyalty I always get a US based CSR. If you say "billing", "remove premiums", "technical support" you will most likely get an overseas CSR. In my experience its best to give the CSR the account number if the account didn't automatically pull up for them.

Rich likes this.