1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is "ESPN College Extra" Going Away?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cmasia, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Apr 6, 2018 #1 of 33
    cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    ESPN launches their "direct to home" streaming service, called ESPN+, next Thursday, April 12. It will cost $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year prepaid.

ESPN+ to Launch April 12, Bringing Sports Fans More Live Sports, Exclusive Originals and On-Demand Library – All for $4.99 Per Month - ESPN MediaZone U.S.

Parsing the press release, I'm guessing ESPN College Extra ( Channels 788 - 798 ) will probably go away, with all that content moved behind the ESPN+ paywall.

It also appears much - or all - of the content on ESPN3 will move behind the paywall as well.
    In the press release, they say all the SANZAAR rugby, currently available on ESPN3, will be carried on ESPN+.
    As the Super Rugby season is nearing the half way point, I wonder if they will immediately move coverage to ESPN+ before the matches of week 9, beginning April 13.

Also, I have not seen a list of the platforms ESPN+ will be available on at launch. I'm guessing it should be on all the usual suspects.

2. Apr 6, 2018 #2 of 33
    golfnut-n-nh

golfnut-n-nh Legend

Mar 26, 2007
    In my opinion, the introduction of this service is the reason that the ESPN app on the HR44/54 stopped showing ESPN3 content last December. Will it come back to our receivers? Time will tell.

3. Apr 6, 2018 #3 of 33
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    ESPN College Extra and ESPN3 are not going away. I'm looking at the master schedule that was last updated 2 days ago, ESPN College Extra has events well past the April 12th launch of ESPN+, while the ESPN3 schedule has things on tap for the rest of the year.

It's just that some events like the Rugby you mentioned will now require ESPN+. Plus not all things will be exclusive to ESPN+. ESPN3 will still have a lot of college sports, Formula 1 practices, the Commonwealth Games, Boxing and other things.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    I WANT MORE likes this.
  4. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    Just saw that the entire schedule of NDSU Bison football was moved from ESPN3 to ESPN+.
    I fear this is only the beginning folks.
    Greedy Bastards!

jimmie57 likes this.
  5. jw_rally

jw_rally Active Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Ohio
    While agree I agree with this post, there is a lot of content for sports fans on ESPN+ for $4.99 per month or $49.99 per year. I don't like that some or most of it used to be free, but I am paying for ESPN+ and enjoy it.

I have followed rugby for years from New Zealand, Australia and South Africa and I get all of the matches on ESPN+. Canadian football (CFL) is on ESPN+, MLS soccer matches are on ESPN+, there will be Serie A soccer from Italy, there are cricket matches and will be numerous NCAA college football and basketball games as well as many other college sporting events.

I don't like paying either, but nickel and diming people isn't going away with streaming services.

6. cmasia

cmasia Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    Las Vegas
    The link below allows you to look at all of ESPN's live and upcoming events for all their channels, both linear and streaming, except ABC for some reason.

WatchESPN: Live Sports, Game Replays, Video Highlights

You can look at specific dates up to a month out, and you can narrow your search by channel, sport, date, etc.

For the first big day of NCAAF, Saturday, September 1, they have 9 games listed for ESPN3.

ESPN+ has no listings populated for that date yet, although they have 4 games on Aug. 30, and 1 game listed on Aug. 31.

7. jle1639

jle1639 Member

Apr 15, 2013
    dothan al
    It get worse more games move to ESPN+.

I WANT MORE likes this.
  8. sangs

sangs AllStar

Apr 2, 2008
    NE New Jersey
    Isn't this what everybody wanted? A' la carte? That was the be all, end all remember? Enjoying it so far? :)

SamC likes this.
  9. Microphone

Microphone AllStar

Jan 30, 2007
    I don't get why seeing obscure D1 and plentiful D3 football, basketball, hockey & baseball (plus the CFL, MLS Rugby mentioned above) should be free. 5 years ago we weren't even having this discussion or were watching choppy feeds on line

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Yeah ESPN was nice to make that stuff available for "free" for a few years, but that doesn't mean they become obligated to make it free forever.

I put "free" in quotes because ESPN3 might have been free to the end user, but ESPN still made some money off it. It came along as part of the agreements that TV providers would make to carry the other ESPN channels, which is why subscribers of certain ISPs that don't have much TV (like Centurylink) or chose not to include it in their contracts couldn't receive ESPN3. I've never been able to stream ESPN3 at home, because Centurylink is my ISP. I'm sure NDSU fans that are customers of Centurylink are cheering the fact their games have moved to ESPN+ so they can finally see them.

I think ESPN viewed ESPN3 as a testbed, where they could work the bugs out of live streaming sports to large(ish) audiences for a few years and not have to worry about paying customers complaining about choppy streams or downtime. Now they're ready to make it a real product that they charge for. I expect ESPN3 to go away completely before long.

11. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Companies are in business to make money - colleges conferences are charging the broadcasters more to cover games. etc. Everyone wants to make money and we pay. ESPN isn't making a lot of money these days - they have laid off a lot of staff this last year.

AngryManMLS likes this.
  12. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE CowboySooner

Oct 3, 2006
    Northern plains
    I should have been more clear in my post.
    I was more referring to ESPN College Extra.
    I am assuming that these games that are moving to ESPN+ will also no longer be available on ESPN College Extra.
    Perhaps I am mistaken.

13. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    can you get ESPN+ for commercial places or will that be on ESPN College Extra to cover that?

14. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The terms and conditions for ESPN+ say it is for personal use only, with the usual warnings about using it for commercial use. I don't know the situation as far as Directv packages, but there were basketball games on ESPN3 that you couldn't get on Directv regardless of package. Same thing with BTN+ (the streaming only 'add on' version of BTN that ESPN is basically aping)

I don't think the streamers have figured out what to do about commercial use yet. I saw today that Amazon was among those reportedly interested in buying the Fox Sports Nets that Disney is going to have to sell. If those go streaming only it could really throw a wrench into stuff like MLBEI that rely on carrying those feeds...

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Do you think AT&T is interested in bidding on those as well?

16. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    Amazon may be able to do streaming + cable / sat. Also they will need to work in things like in market only and teams being part owners (and they have some to say about being streaming only) Or even the rights for commercial use.

17. JoeTheDragon

Jul 21, 2008
    Comcast can take some
    Att can take some
    Spectrum can take some
    YES Network goes back to Yankees owning it all?

18. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Even if a team isn't a part owner, if their contracts with the team say something along the lines of requiring traditional cable/sat distribution, they still have to honor the terms of the contract, as well as existing carriage contracts.

Basically, if Amazon wanted to make them streaming only, they would either have to disolve the channels entirely and start from scratch. Or wait for the contracts for every single team to expire and get them to agree to terms that allow the team to be streaming only in market, with the risk of all of them signing with rival NBC/AT&T/Charter/Independent RSNs or someone willing to create a new RSN, and wait for every one of their existing carriage contracts to expire and flat out refuse to negotiate new ones. (Which opens up another can of worms) Either way though, the leagues require them to make their games available to traditional providers for out of market packages since the RSNs only have in market rights to their games, the league have the rights to out of market coverage.

As for ESPN College Extra, it is returning this season. The specific schedule isn't released until a few days prior since it depends on what other networks and syndicators are doing. ESPN also has the internal schedule up for their confirmed regular season games, there's a LOT of ESPN3 games listed, so not everything moved to ESPN+.

Going by the Home Team's conferences as of 8/9:
    ACC: No ESPN+
    American: No ESPN+
    Big 12: No ESPN+
    Big South: Split between ESPN+ and ESPN3
    Big Ten: No ESPN+
    Conference USA: Split between ESPN+ and ESPN3
    Independent: No ESPN+
    Ivy: Mostly ESPN+
    MAC: Split between ESPN+ and ESPN3
    Mountain West: No ESPN+
    Pac 12: No ESPN+
    SEC: No ESPN+
    Sun Belt: Split between ESPN+ and ESPN3

(Keep in mind this only applies to games produced by ESPN's networks)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  19. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    DirecTV has often times used backhaul C-Band truck feeds for MLS Direct Kick games that are available on ESPN+ (ie: Chicago Fire) or YouTube TV (ie: Los Angeles FC). So I could see the same thing happening with other packages such as MLBEI.

20. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I saw an article suggesting that AT&T might buy the ones in its footprint, and Comcast the ones in its, or that Charter might buy them so it could own some programming assets to help it keep pace with Comcast and AT&T. Another suggestion was that Sinclair might be interested.

I think everyone expects the Yankees to buy back the rest of YES since their contract allows for it, so they have control over the distribution channels for their games. The risk is that without other channels to be part of a package and give them negotiating leverage, they will end like the Dodgers Channel and many distributors will choose not to carry them at all (because you know the Yankees will believe they should charge more than the Dodgers do, because they're the Yankees) People like Rich will choose a provider based on being able to watch YES, but most people would be happy to avoid tacking on an extra $5/month in RSN fees for a single channel.