Is it feasible for me to get DTV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jmudukes07, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jul 8, 2009 #1 of 13
    jmudukes07

jmudukes07 AllStar

Jul 8, 2009
    Considering DTV won't let me talk to the installer before he comes out . . . I was wondering if any of you knowlegable folks on this forum could help me out:

I moved into a new apartment this week that has 3 cable outlets: 1 living room, 1 bedroom, and 1 loft. I want TV service to all 3 outlets and I also have cable internet coming from one of them.

I am trying to figure out if it is feasible for me to get DTV and not have wires running all over the apartment and while still keeping the cable internet and 3 TV's hooked up.

Any advice or opinions would really be appreciated. :mad:

2. Jul 8, 2009 #2 of 13
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The short answer is: no one can tell you for sure.

The long answer is: DirecTV has a new type of multiswitch called a SWM (Single-Wire Multiswitch) that they've built into versions of the LNBs used on the Slimline dish (the big dish required for HD service). With a SWM LNB, it is likely possible to reuse your existing coax and get receivers in all rooms, and the SWM will run both tuners of a DVR from a single coax (up to a total of 8 tuners).

It may or may not be possible to diplex in the cable modem; that's something no one can answer for you because different systems vary on the frequencies they use, and not all will be compatible with the SWM's frequencies. It's essentially a trail-and-error thing. Many folks switch to DSL if they can't use cable for Internet.

Here's the potential problem:

DirecTV's ordering system only adds SWM LNBs to jobs that meet ALL of the following criteria:

- New customers ONLY
    - At least one HD receiver
    - 5-8 tuners in the system
    - No International programming
    - Subject to equipment on hand

Thus, there is no guarentee that you'll get SWM equipment (but you almost certainly won't if you don't meet the criteria above), so to get it, you may have to buy a SWM LNB kit (with 21v power inserter and SWM-rated 4-way splitter) on your own, and have them available for the installer.

And, of course, you'll either need a balcony with clear Line-Of-Site to the southwest (and likely pay for a tripod or other custom mount) or written permission allowing you to attach the dish to the building.

3. Jul 8, 2009 #3 of 13
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Diplexing the cable internet to the same outlet as DirecTV tv service is on is not going to be done by any installer. It is something you would have to try on your own after the install is done, and there is no guarantee it would work (as noted above).

How the three outlets are wired back to the cable entry point, and where splitters are located, will also impact whether or not that wiring could even be used. If the three rooms have independent coax runs back to a common location, it would be easier than if the splitters are spread around the apartment.

The other major concern is how to get the DirecTV coax from the dish to the common point where the wiring to the three rooms originates.

4. Jul 8, 2009 #4 of 13
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Carl is right - this stuff is going to be non-standard work, so you'd be better off ordering your DirecTV through a local dealer and working with him to get your install done. Regular DirecTV installers aren't allowed to diplex anything, and have little flexibility regarding SWM equipment. Retailers have much more leeway, as they have to accept responsibility for your system working.

5. Jul 8, 2009 #5 of 13
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You need to find out just how your three outlets are distributed. Do they go to a common location? Or are there splitters buried in the walls? Do some homework before the DirecTV installers arrive. I'd forget about diplexing the internet. But, if you have access to the cables, you could decide which room you want to have internet. If the cable internet line is accessible, you could put a wireless access point at the point of entry. Then the three lines can be used for DirecTV.

6. Jul 8, 2009 #6 of 13
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Feasable, yes
    Difficult, yes
    Complicated, yes
    Done by a HSP, very unlikely
    Done by a dealer, more likely

7. Jul 8, 2009 #7 of 13
    KhurramA

KhurramA AllStar

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm actually in the exact same situation. I want to use the existing coax cables in the rooms..but don't want to lose my cable internet ( and I don't want DSL).

8. Jul 8, 2009 #8 of 13
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Try what I suggested above with a wireless access point at the location where your cable internet enters the house. That will free up the other coax for DirecTV.

9. Jul 8, 2009 #9 of 13
    KhurramA

KhurramA AllStar

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm trying to find where it enters my apartment.
    Could it be possible that it enters from outside or in the hallway?

If I put my wifi router at the entry point them does the single coax coming from the swm connect to one of the bedroom coaxes?

10. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Not knowing how your apartment complex is laid out, I can't say. My guess would be that the cable coax is located in a utility closet for your apartment. It is also possible that there is a box outside your apartment where the lines from various rooms are terminated. In that box would be where those cables are connected. This utility closet or box is where the single line from an SWMLine dish would be run.

Good luck.

11. KhurramA

KhurramA AllStar

Jun 16, 2009
    So it's located outside my apartment it really wouldn't be feasible to run the coax from the dish to an area outside my condo.

Well..hoping for the best..I can always get that tracking that hides wires.

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You may have to contact the apartment management to find out where the cables are located. There may be in a centrally located utility closet that serves all of the apartments. If this is the case, you will most likely need to contact management to look inside.

Put your sleuthing abilities to work. :)

13. JB292

JB292 AllStar

Apr 24, 2009
    I would also suggest talking to your landlord. Many apartments in my area have restrictions in place that make it almost impossible.