Is it me, or is DirecTV going down hill?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tylorert, Sep 18, 2019.

1. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Back before AT&T took over Directv I used to tell everyone how great it was. Now after the merger... I cant. I see a lot of issues and read a lot of issues. I see people leaving all the time. Im I the only one noticing this?

APB101 and pds3 like this.
  2. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    This is a "cord cutting " era and Intel in general tv industry is changing

I do feel a little that att is hurting DirecTV image with all these recent disputes

But a lot of companies are not the same any more and unrelated but retail is dying and jobs are being cut

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

APB101 and YCT like this.
  3. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Yeah, Your right. Im just sad to see that R&D is going down hill. Wish the merger never happened

pds3 likes this.
  4. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    What's really gone down hill is the customer service.

tbranan, APB101, moob and 5 others like this.
  5. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    I think that AT&T finds itself in a changing dog eat dog world where they have too many component parts to be really effective in any one area.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Since purchasing DIRECTV AT&T has repeatedly demonstrated how they excel at turning gold into lead.

APB101, moob, Athlon646464 and 4 others like this.
  7. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    It's hit rock bottom. Everytime I call the first 5 mins of the call are a sales pitch for ATT cell service.
    Customer service is so bad know I will not do anything that starts a new 2yr contract. I want the option to cancel at anytime .

I have been with D* since 1998 and never ever considered dropping D*, so new 2 yr contracts were never a concern before ATT.

APB101 and Mauiguy like this.
  8. avonabudget

avonabudget Cool Member

Aug 1, 2008
    South Jersey
    It's not you. AT&T's customer service is severely lacking and it's costing them subscribers.

pds3 likes this.
  9. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Heres my thing tho. Did they buy them to destroy them? D* has amazing picture quality compared to any provider. They had a great loyal subscriber base. Why would they want to destroy it. Its like if a small burger joint was bought by Mc.D's. Im experiencing this at work. We got bought by Kroger and now things are going south.

wilbur_the_goose likes this.
  10. Mauiguy

Mauiguy Cool Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Darned shame i cannot "like" your post about one hundred times......

Rich likes this.
  11. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    I've been with DirecTV since about day one, and I think I have dealt with "customer service" about six times. The only complaint I have is the same no matter who owned the service, the CSRs do not understand the sports blackout rules and, rather than having a system that will essculate the call to someone who does, will argue you that whatever your situation is, is correct.

What exactly are all of you calling customer service all the time for? They come install it, it works perfectly, package changes can be done on-line.

YCT likes this.
  12. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    Stop telling me you appreciate me "being a loyal customer" and act like it or sell the unit off to someone who might give a damn.

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

13. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Accurate

14. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Well I have every sport season ticket, end of each season you have to cancel,then if you dont you call because it auto bills...So thats minimal 4 times a year for that....I have also had many problems with the RSNs so each time I have to call on that....being disconnected for no reason at all and missing watching sports programming adds up.
    This year RSNs have been good, but last year I called 5 or 6 times, got so fed up I canceled because there was no reason why it would get shut off...

15. NashGuy

NashGuy Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I think AT&T bought DirecTV because they didn't want to be a "dump pipe" but rather wanted to combine entertainment services with their existing connectivity services (mobile and home internet). And DirecTV was the biggest cable TV provider in the nation, and also regarded as the most premium, highest-quality one. So it seemed like a good acquisition target.

Obviously, no one pays billions of dollars for a business with the goal of destroying it. But I don't think AT&T ever had the idea that they were just going to let DirecTV exist as-is. The whole idea was to somehow take its assets -- including all those customer relationships and cable network carriage contracts -- and combine them with the rest of AT&T to grow the overall business and create something new, something internet-based that would outlast satellite-based TV.

Unfortunately for AT&T, they bought DirecTV pretty much right at the point in time when traditional cable TV subscriber numbers were peaking in the US. Talk about bad timing. And unfortunately for DTV customers, their beloved TV service got a bit lost in the shuffle of getting incorporated into a much larger corporation with a different culture, different skill sets, and different priorities than had been the case at the old DTV. My understanding is that most of the key DTV leaders left after the acquisition and did not join AT&T.

I think what AT&T is doing lately is to renegotiate all those cable channel carriage contracts, driving a hard bargain based on the fact that they have over 20 million total TV subscribers (most of them on DTV satellite). In the coming weeks or months, I predict that we'll see a new set of slightly skinnier, more flexible channel packages offered across DTV as well as their new streaming cable TV services, AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now. Most customers will find the new packages, in terms of which channels you get for how much money, to be a better deal than what DTV currently offers.

Then the game plan for AT&T will be to transition as many of their customers as possible from DTV over to AT&T TV in the early 2020s. The pricing they assign both products will do most of the work, since the same channel packages will be a little cheaper on AT&T TV vs. DTV (with greater savings the more TVs you want service on).

There's growing pressure on Wall Street for AT&T to somehow dump DTV but I honestly don't know who would buy it. And if they could sell it, it's projected that it would only fetch about half what they paid for it 4 short years ago! The most logical buyer would be DISH. Its owner, Charlie Ergen, had in the past wanted to combine DISH and DTV to create the sole satellite TV service but that got slapped down by the government. Such a tie-up might pass muster now but, frankly, would Ergen even want DTV at this point? He's got his own declining satellite TV service to deal with, plus a lot on his plate trying to build out a 5G network while taking ownership of Boost Mobile if the T-Mo/Sprint merger actually happens.

Some investment bankers are instead trying to sell AT&T and DISH on the idea of spinning off both satellite TV businesses into a jointly-owned subsidiary where they could benefit from cooperation rather than competition, with cost savings from combined operations. I've pitched that very idea in forum posts earlier this year. It's probably the most logical end-game for both satellite TV services. But I don't think AT&T will be ready to do that without first shepherding as many of their DTV subscribers as possible over to AT&T TV.

APB101 and ThaPhenom like this.
  16. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    The cost savings from combining Directv and Dish would be small. Basically the same as the cost savings from combining Dish and Cox or Directv and Altice - combine billing, CSRs and other back office tasks but get no synergy at all on satellites and maybe some on hardware a few years down the road.

17. grover517

grover517 AllStar

Sep 29, 2007
    No details on what ISP they are using, etc, but if the new AT&T TV service has more "reviews" like this one, AT&T will have a LOT of work to do executing their game plan. Sorry, couldn't resist. LOL

Rich likes this.
  18. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    ISP Would be ATT. Seems like AT&T is going to ditch DirecTV :)

19. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    A little off topic but I say the telcos should combine and build out FTTH . Then they can really put a hurting on the cable cos

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

red hazard likes this.
  20. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    But is it worth it? There is a massive decline in subscribers on almost all providers.