1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it my LNB, Multiswitch or both?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by dstout, Jun 22, 2009.

1. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I have an R-15(that I activated Saturday) and an R10 that I have had for about 3 years.

I am using an old DISH 500 dual lnb dish on just one side. The LNB is at least 8 years old.My multiswitch is about 7 years old.

We had a bad storm today. When I came home today the R-15 was only getting signal on 1 tuner. The R-10 appeared to be fine.

Now the R-10(that did have both tuners working) comes and goes. It was lose the satellite signal on both tuners.

Seems like it is affected when I hook the coax to turner 2 on the R-15. When I do the R-15(the one with only 1 tuners that works) looses signal on both tuners.

Any ideas?

2. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Your using a Dish Network dish for Directv?

3. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I understand some components do interchange, especially on older systems.

4. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Yep. It has been working fine for almost 8 years. Till tonight.

5. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    Hmm, I always wondered if it was possible to do something like that. I guess now I know!:D

6. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know anything about dish network dishes or LNB's, but what you need for both the dual tuner R10 and the dual tuner R15 is (a) a dish and LNB assembly that has/is a "dual" LNB (i.e., can tune both left and right hand circular polarization at the same time), and has two coax outputs (one for each side of the LNB). This needs to feed a 2x4 or 3x4 (or larger) multiswitch. Then from the multiswitch outputs you need two coax to each DVR (one coax for each tuner input).

You can test your dish/LNB by taking the multiswitch out of the system and connecting the two lines from the dish directly to one of the DVRs, seeing how it works, then to the other DVR and seeing how it works. If both DVRs work properly with dual tuner functionality while connected directlly to the dish, then you appear to have a multiswitch problem. If both DVRs do not work properly this way, and both have the same symptoms, I would suggest a dish/LNB problem. If one works properly adn the other does not, then you most likely have a bad DVR (or maybe a bad coax). Swap the location of the two DVRs and repeat the test to rule out a coax or connector problem.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A "legacy" (i.e., 1st Gen) Dish LNB is electrically identical to the LNBs used on the basic and Phase II DirecTV dishes, so they interchange just fine.

Most likely, the OP is experiencing either a cabling problem or (more likely IMO) a multiswitch failure. Fortunately 3x4 multiswitches are cheap and readily available.

8. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    If the problem turns out to be the multiswitch, I have two 3x4s that I have no use for since upgrading to HD. OP, PM me if you are interested. One is an RCA and the other is a Terk.

9. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    get this:
    when I am checking the signal on the R-15, the R-10 says checking for signal on both tuners.

I also had the phone company out today. My house got hit by lightning or close by, they said the modem in my R15 is fried.

10. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    I have one tuner each working on each dvr now.

When I had one of the lines from the lnb to the multiswitch removed, my directivo had full signal on one tuner and about 30 % on the other. The R-15 had nothing.

When I hooked the other line back up the R-10 went to full signal on one tuner and 0 on the other. Same deal for the R-15.

Does that mean one of my lines from the LNB to the Multiswitch is bad?

11. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    As I noted above: You can test your dish/LNB by taking the multiswitch out of the system and connecting the two lines from the dish directly to one of the DVRs, seeing how it works, then to the other DVR and seeing how it works. If both DVRs work properly with dual tuner functionality while connected directlly to the dish, then you appear to have a multiswitch problem. If both DVRs do not work properly this way, and both have the same symptoms, I would suggest a dish/LNB problem. If one works properly adn the other does not, then you most likely have a bad DVR (or maybe a bad coax). Swap the location of the two DVRs and repeat the test to rule out a coax or connector problem.

What you've done so far doesn't tell us much.

12. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Carl,

I replaced the LNB and multiswitch last night.

I have to pick up some connectors to run the coax straight to the receiver from the dish. I will try that tonight and report back! :)

Thanks

13. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    It was the receiver. I have hooked up the R10 I had retired and moved the R10 I was still using to where the R15 was. Both the R10s are working on both tuners.

14. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Glad you were able to diagnose the problem.