1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to disable the front panel record button?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Deathknight, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Deathknight

Deathknight Cool Member

Aug 24, 2007
    We have twin babies that think the greatest thing in the world is to mess with all of daddy's toys. I have found some interesting shows recorded due to how easy it is to kick off a recording on the HR20 from the front panel of the box. On some occasions we get season passes because they hit the record button twice.

Yesterday was the last straw as one of the kids got a season pass for tennis coverage on ESPN, which recorded 12 hours of tennis. We lost a handful of shows that we never got a chance to watch.

Is it possible to disable this (or any) of the buttons on the front panel of the box, short of physically disconnecting/removing the buttons? Does anybody honestly use these buttons?

I have only been able to find a way to turn off the lights on the front of the box, but not the buttons themselves :(

2. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Nope, I'm afraid not. To disable them requires opening the box and unplugging stuff - of course this violates any number of provisions of your Directv contract and terms of service. You're gonna have to just teach the little ones not to mess with your stuff. As the parent of three (now teens and almost-teens), I can saw from experience that you'll be better off doing that anyway unfortunately.

3. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Icon

Aug 16, 2006
    Go to Target or Home Depot and look in the child proofing section for some small strips of plexiglas that stick over buttons on TV's, etc. Not sure what they were called. I put one over the buttons on the TV that my son loved to push. It is clear plastic, so it does not impede IR signals.

Or just do what I did and move all of your equipment into a closet and use IR repeaters to control everything. He can't even open the door, because I keep it locked! The only thing my son can touch is the TV, which is protected as I indicated.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Need to childproof the Entertainment center until they are old enough to know better. Nothing bad against you or your kids but that's like Baby 101, out of sight out of mind for toddlers.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Mark your shows as KUID.

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You're looking for a VCR/DVD Guard. I'm guessing something like in the attached picture. Just search for "VCR Guard" or "VCR Guard Kids" and you'll find lots of them out there. They usually sell for about $10-15. Worked well with my kids.

[​IMG]

- Merg

7. Lanthom

Lanthom Legend

Aug 6, 2008
    I had something similar when my 2 year old learned how to change the TV channel. What I bought was a piece of plexiglass that bent at about a 45 degree angle. Worked wonders and didn't mess with the IR at all.

8. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I just used whooping's as a deterrent.

If I was feeling generous, I'd let them pick their own switch.

9. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    OT, but related, I have a beef with my TV that I thought I'd just share...Its a Philips 30 inch refurb I got a few years back, and they got it almost right, where they had the channel change, volume controls etc on top of the TV, but left the power on/off switch on the front right next to the IR eye, exactly at the height for my 2 year old to reach it. Argh! :)

10. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Yeah, I have had that happen on one of my DVRs where my 5 year old decides to press the record button on front every time he likes whatever he is watching. I just have to keep going in once in 10 days or so and clean them up.

Luckily, that's not our primary DVR or else I would have lost a lot more shows

11. 408SJC

408SJC Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Sounds like my parents! Seemed to work pretty well for them

12. goober22

goober22 Godfather

Sep 8, 2004
    Sunny...
    Wow, does that bring back memories. Being told to go get a "switch" off a tree and then getting a whooping with it!!!

I often wondered what would happen if I didn't come back with one?! Too afraid to find out however! :p

13. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Hot glue gun.

You can squirt litle puddles of hot glue over the buttons you want to immobilize (I'd suggest unplugging power/inputs/outputs and standing the unit up so the front panel is parallel with the floor first), and peel them off later (warm with a hair dryer for 20 seconds) if you ever want to send it back. No permanent damage.

Invisible 5-cent fix in 5 minutes.

14. Deathknight

Deathknight Cool Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Thanks for the tips guys! I will probably have to do something temporary to get them to stop. I am not moving everything. I was looking at getting a tv stand that had doors, but things are tight now so I cannot really afford to do that. I probably won't do any moving of equipment since that is my end goal.

I figure the probably is most likely a temporary one. I never had a problem teaching my oldest not to touch the stuff. Babies don't really understand and if you make it a big deal they think it is a game.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    We know these pieces of furniture as ovens for cooking DVRs.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My father seemed to get a lot of satisfaction beating the living daylights out of me every day, at least once. Didn't do any good, I just got used to the beatings. I thought that was normal. My one son is 19 and has never been hit and is just about a mirror image of me. He had his own VCR and TV when he was just past his second birthday and has never done anything that would cause problems to any of his electronic equipment.

I've got a one year old granddaughter running around the house and she has quickly learned not to touch any of my HRs. None of them are protected in any way, none are in locked cabinets, we just keep telling her not to touch anything that is not hers. Smart kid, she doesn't touch anything she has been told not to.

They can be taught and they will learn quickly. Kindness, patience and an explanation that they can understand seems to work. And one and two year olds are not too young to learn. Seems to work for us, anyhow.

Rich

17. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My father used his belt until I was old enough for him to use his fists. He actually knocked me out a couple times when I was in my late teens. Not much fun getting hit by a 6'4" 230 pound man with no discernible body fat. I'll never forget being held up by my feet and getting smacked with that leather belt. On my bare butt.

Rich

18. gnahc79

gnahc79 Godfather

Jan 11, 2008
    I used an XT gate + extension set when we were at our old apartment:

[​IMG]

However, it is not 100% foolproof, just a deterrent :)
    [​IMG]

In our new townhouse I put everything WAY up :)

[​IMG]

19. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    if your receiver works in RF (radio frequency) mode, you could just hide the unit in question out of site like I did with our little girls room.

It still sits behind her dresser. Out of site; out of mind.

20. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Great job gnahc79, you can tell you are someone who knows how and why to baby-proof the house. I wish more parents would step up and do the right thing.