1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is It Standard Practice For Customer To Pay Postage To Return Equipment?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kinhin, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sep 1, 2011 #1 of 18
    kinhin

kinhin New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Long story short the wife & I have decided to cancel our Directv service early. We were aware that we would have to pay a cancellation fee.
    Was talking to a Directv representative and they stated that because we are canceling early that we would have to pay to return the receiver also? I was under the impression that we would receive a Recovery Kit for no cost so we would be able to return the receiver. They stated we would only receive one if we fulfill our contract. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this? Again, after reading the contract, etc I was under the impression we would receive the Recovery Kit regardless of when we canceled service. If I happened to overlook something please feel free to point it out for me.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sep 1, 2011 #2 of 18
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

Alas, I haven't read about anyone quite in your situation.

And sorry to see you leave DIRECTV.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Sep 1, 2011 #3 of 18
    kinhin

kinhin New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks Tom for the welcome!
    Yeah. I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Have thought about calling back and talking to another representative to see if they would say the same thing because we had an issue a while back about trouble them not receiving a faulty receiver. We ended up talking to 3 different reps. One stating they couldn't help/s.o.l., one saying wait another week, then the final actually helping us get the tracking number (our bad) off the box to help us track it down. Luckily they called back a few hours later to tell us they found it at their recovery center.

4. Sep 1, 2011 #4 of 18
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It of course depends on the situation, but have you considered suspending your service? It's useful for people that switch to a different service to make sure it's going to work for them, and they can switch back to DirecTV without having to pay for new equipment. It's also useful for people who have run into a tight money spot to see if things improve in six months.

Just wanted to make sure you knew of the option.

5. Sep 1, 2011 #5 of 18
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    +1

6. Sep 1, 2011 #6 of 18
    kinhin

kinhin New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks for the suspension idea. Forgot you could do that. If anything, that'll save us from having to pay monthly until we could get the money together for the cancellation fee ;). Still holding out hope that with another rep we'll get a Recovery Kit and not have to pay out of pocket to go down to USPS and send the receiver off.

7. Sep 1, 2011 #7 of 18
    dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Yep that too. Your months under contract don't go down, but does make it easier to pay the fee. The whole thing on having to pay the shipping is goofy. I've never heard that before.

8. Sep 1, 2011 #8 of 18
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Changing to a less expensive package may be another option.

The return shipping charge should be less than $20. I suppose it's worth another call to DirecTV to see if you can get that fee removed. Fee or not, I suspect you'll have to travel to mail your package. In any case get a receipt.

9. Sep 1, 2011 #9 of 18
    kinhin

kinhin New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    I'd be willing to pay 20 dollars but I have a problem with paying the price it would cost me to send it off. @billsharpe I have no problem dropping the package off :p
    I'm just glad the wife and I are planning on taking a honeymoon soon so we have a viable reason to suspend service.

10. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Congratulations! Is this a newly married honeymoon or finally taking the honeymoon that you couldn't take then? Or best of all, a second/third/fourth honeymoon?

Cheers,
    Tom

11. kinhin

kinhin New Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks Tom! It'll be our actual Honeymoon. Got married back in Dec and had received a Honeymoon package from a relative for July but it fell through :(. Luckily we have been able to save some money back just in case :)

12. snowcat

snowcat Legend

May 29, 2007
    I had 3 months left on my contract, and I cancelled DirecTv. I received two prepaid boxes in the mail last weekend to ship the receivers back, so it didn't cost me anything.

So you shouldn't have to pay anything.

Note: I cancelled DirecTv to give Uverse a try (and save a little money), not because I was unhappy with DirecTv. But I am pleased so far with Uverse and its picture quality is just as good as far as I can tell.

13. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The OP hasn't been on here (at least logged in) since the second. Maybe it's amount of time left on the contract, or just the CSR.

Glad UVerse is working out, it doesn't for everyone with the stream limits. That's why we generally recommend suspending to try another service instead of cancelling.

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Your contract only states that you need to keep DirecTV SERVICE until the required number of months have been realized. It says nothing about how many RECEIVERS you need to keep active!

You can do one of two things depending on your situation.

If you have any OWNED (not leased) receivers, keep one of them active and tell DirecTV you want to disconnect all your other receivers (including, of course your LEASED receivers). They will send you pre-paid recovery kits since you are continuing the service. Then, after you verify they have the LEASED receivers back disconnect your account.

If you don't have any OWNED receivers (all are leased) call DirecTV and disconnect all of them except the primary on your account. If you have a combination of DVR's and regular receivers, disconnect all the DVR's and keep just one RECEIVER active (a receiver is smaller and lighter and costs less to ship). When you verify that they have received the equipment back, disconnect and send them back the remaining receiver on your dime.

Also, the contract just says you have to maintain SERVICE. It doesn't specify which PACKAGE you need to keep (except to get some of the first-year discounts or "HD for life" offers). So while you are on the phone disconnecting all but one of your receivers, drop your package to "family" which is $30 a month.

The ETF (early termination fee) is based on how many months are left on your subscription so keeping one receiver and the FAMILY package will only cost a slight amount more than suspending your account (which stops the clock on months you must subscribe to avoid an ETF) and at least you get to watch DirecTV and can save up for the ETF.

Meanwhile, when you finally do disconnect, put your dish and any other hardware (multiswitch, etc.) up for sale on eBay. They are yours and can generate a little money towards your ETF payment.

And don't tell them where you got this advice... ;)

15. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I have cancelled Twice and then come back twice(move alot) and both times recovery kits were sent, no questions asked

16. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    There is no cost to return LEASED equipment. If for some reason you want to return OWNED equipment there is a charge of $20.00...

17. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    Now why on earth would anyone want to return "owned" equipment.

There is a $20 fee if "owned" equipment is replaced if the person does not have the "protection plan" in order for it to be replaced. The customer would cover the shipiing of the free replacement receiver (which would be converted into a new 24-month commitment and slated as a leased receiver from that point. In that senario, they also typically want thr eold unit back and provide a free pre paid postage recoever kit.

However they don't want nor accept "owned" equipment back at the end of a contract or at cancellation for that matter.

18. Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5 Legend

Oct 20, 2010
    In some cases (certain MDU properties) some customers are given owned equipment but also have an agreement. In those cases they can choose to return all the owned equipment instead of paying the cancellation fee...