Is it worth switching my HR22-100 to a HR10-250 ??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BertCooper, Jul 24, 2019.

1. BertCooper

BertCooper New Member

May 7, 2015
    Mooresville NC
    Hey guys, hope all is well with you. I have my HR22-100 in my wood shop and I'm happy with it's operation. My neighbor down the road is moving and dropped off his HR10-250 with Tivo (whatever the heck that is). He purchased the unit years ago. It does have the HDMI output. Do any of you think there's any performance advantage in making the switch from the HR22-100 to this free HR10-250 ? I'm not looking to complicate my life, but I'd like to know what you think before I send it to the Mecklenburg County Recycling Center. Thanks for looking and have a great day.

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    The HR10 has an ota tuner, so that's a plus, but IIRC the HR22 has a larger hard drive, so more storage. Bottom line, they are both very old.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  3. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The HR10-250 won't even work anymore. It doesn't support MPEG4.

MysteryMan and compnurd like this.
  4. BertCooper

BertCooper New Member

May 7, 2015
    Mooresville NC
    "Bottom line, they are both very old". Ha! Just like me. Thank you for your thoughts, Studechip.

studechip likes this.
  5. BertCooper

BertCooper New Member

May 7, 2015
    Mooresville NC
    Thank you for the reply, SledgeHammer. The way I understand it, MPEG4 is only an issue when streaming content from the internet. I'm just interested in the Dish signal. Sounds like the advantage is the OTA tuner and a larger disc storage. Have a great day.

6. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    No. You will not be able to view HD (or 4K) Sat channels with the HR10-250, they are all MPEG4. Has nothing to do when streaming. The HR10-250 only supports the older MPEG2 sat channels, ALL of which are going away. The HD ones are mostly gone already. The SD ones will go away soon. The HR10-250 is a brick at this point. I'd be surprised if they even let you activate it since it won't even work. It also doesn't know anything about some of the new dish setups.

7. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Michigan
    Oh the memories! I remember buying my HR10-250 from value electronics eons ago. Seems like it cost over $500 in 2004 or was it 2005?

8. dinotheo

dinotheo Godfather

Sep 21, 2006
    I bought 2 in April of 2003 (at release) for $1000/each. OUCH

SParker likes this.
  9. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Michigan
    You're right I forgot they cost that much at release. I was in the 2nd shipment. That was a major purchase for me back then, actually it would be a major purchase now!

10. SParker

SParker Active Member

Apr 27, 2002
    Michigan
    This is hilarious I just looked at my old old old emails and found this!

Time of Order: 1/17/2004 8:09:41 PM
    Order Type: Email
    Order ID: 12689
    1---------------------------------
    Product Code :HD-DVR250 $100. discount
    Product Name :HNS HD-DVR250 -$100.
    Attributes :
    Quantity :1
    Unit Price :$899.99
    Total Price :$899.99
    Sub Total :$899.99
    Ship Method :
    Shipping :$15.00
    Tax State :
    Tax :$0.00
    Order Total :914.99

11. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    Back to the original question (imagine THAT!) ...

Whether you can use your neighbor's HR10 at all depends on whether you'll be able to get AT&T to activate it to your account. Some recent reports seem to indicate that they are now making it difficult or impossible to activate units not obtained through them.

12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    You keep email for 15 YEARS?!?! Your Outlook must have millions of email messages.

13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Why would you want to activate a brick? It can't get any channels. It's pretty much only good for OTA and why would you pay DirecTV $7/mo for an OTA DVR when you can get one for free?

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  14. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Back in 2006 I started deleting only spam and ads, and saved all other emails in the address I use for all online shopping (I use a different email for personal stuff) I have a mail server running on my home PC, so I can check the size and it is 6471 message or 1.35 GB right now. That's not much, and I'm able to search receipts for 10 year old purchases which comes in handy occasionally (just yesterday I searched for something I bought back in 2012, for instance)

SParker likes this.
  15. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I thought someone said the OTA features on the H10/HR10 still functioned without the satellite being activated? If that's the case he can use that HR10 "for free".

I agree paying $7/month for it would be stupid, for an OTA only device you have a lot of choices from a $35 Chinese box you add your own drive to, to a Tivo.

16. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This is exactly the reason I didn't buy one. I wanted one, but...

Rich

17. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    The HR10-250 won't work at all unless you have a DirecTV access card (the older big ones like a H, HU or P4). Then it also requires the card have the Tivo tier activated on it. There is a hack you can do on the HR10 to get around that part... so I guess if OP has the access card and does the software hack, he can use it as an OTA DVR... but like you said, what's the point? Just buy an actual OTA DVR.

18. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I don't think I paid $1k for mine... it was a great DVR... that was back in the day when most people didn't know what a DVR was. WHAT?!?!!? An onscreen guide AND it can record AND it can record 2 things at ONCE?!?! I "sold" probably around 5 of them through my demos. I should have gotten a commission lol.

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    My DVR experience started with a single tuner SD device. Even with those limits I quickly decided that I'd never buy another non-DVR again. It was too easy to pause what I was watching or record something while I was watching something recorded earlier. 16 year later I still know what a commercial is ... but I see a lot less of them.

I have an older friend who has had a cable company DVR for at least 10 years but NEVER uses it. He only watches live TV. I have been tempted to hit the pause button when I have the remote but it would probably confuse him since he has not seen that function in action. "The screen froze so I unplugged the box and restarted it." Fortunately he didn't have to pay $900+ for the receiver (the DVR was the standard device provided with the account).

I remember the days of early adopters paying as much as $1k to be the first on the block to have a HD DVR. I waited a few years before making the HD leap - letting the prices come down to my level. Hopefully the people who paid $1k got their money's worth in the years where they had the receiver before they were "cheap".

20. BertCooper

BertCooper New Member

May 7, 2015
    Mooresville NC
    Thanks everyone for the comments. It's very much appreciated. My neighbor said, "this thing cost me a fortune". So the cheapskate that I am, I put the grab on his HR10-250. My plan was to check with my smart friends here on DBSTalk before doing anything. Thanks again and have a great day.