1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Mobile DVR Just Plain Broken

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by raott, Apr 15, 2018 at 6:33 PM.

1. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    This thing seems to work about half the time. Tried to watch shows while on a trip this weekend on my iPad...it can't find the receiver. I come home, reinstall the app, it works fine while on the home network but as soon as I turn wifi off, it can't find the receiver anymore. Not the first time it's happened to me and judging by other posts on various forums, others have the same issue.

Seems like sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Is there any sort of "fix" I can try other that what I've done?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    iOS app appears to be less reliable than the android app. And the android app isn't 100% either.

Not sure what you mean by you can't see the receiver when you turn off the WiFi. Clarify?

3. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Should have been more clear....when I turn the WiFi off on the iPad and use LTE, so that it becomes like I am out of the house for testing purposes.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Mine sort of works. I travel a lot so I use the downloads mostly. About 25% of the time my app won't see any of my DVRs. Exit, restart my tablet, go back into app. Then when it does see the shows, I usually get a message saying the show can't be downloaded. But while the top screen is telling me it can't be downloaded, I can watch the % complete in the bottom right corner ticking up to 100%. But even then, I have to watch the first 1-2 minutes of the show, then turn off my tablet's wifi (no LTE) to ensure it will continue to play. If I don't do that, as soon as I'm on the plane or in the airport with no wifi, it will say the show that is on my tablet can't play.

Then, about 75% of the shows that I watch and delete, stay on the lists of shows. The show has been deleted and I can't open it, but the name stays. So my tablet currently says I have 5 episodes of Blue Bloods on my tablet, when there are none. The only way to erase those is to uninstall and reinstall the app.

Major pain software. nomad was much better. But after I jump through the hoops, it is nice to be on a plane watching a show that was on TV the night before that I didn't get to watch.

----------------------
    Compared to Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, this Mobile DVR app isn't even in the same state, let alone the same ball park.

Rich likes this.
  5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Don't knock yourself out. MDVR app stinks. It works some days and not others. Sometimes it works on Cell, not WiFi. Sometimes it works everywhere, even outside the USA and other times, 3 miles from home it won't work.

It's just a poorly designed app and server system that has never been very reliable. Many will attest to inconsistent performance and others will say it has never worked away from home.

Billzebub likes this.