Is my DECA bad?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by SteelersFan, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Nov 4, 2017 #1 of 16
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    I have an HR-44 Genie that's accessing the Internet via DECA on an old HR-24 . The DECA shows two green lights, but I have no internet connection on the HR-24, the HR-44 or any of my other HR-22 receivers. I unplugged the power to the DECA and plugged it back in and the internet worked again. For about five minutes. It then loses connection again on all receivers even though I still have two green lights on the DECA. I ordered a new DECA online for $10 so I'll go that route, but I was wondering if anyone else had this issue. There's also a DC-RF adapter plugged into the DECA, but I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with this issue.

I went the DECA route instead of the HR-44 wireless route as I didn't want to drive down the bandwidth of my local network. I actually could have ethernet cables plugged into each of my four receivers if anyone thinks that may be a better way to go than the coaxial method. I like the coaxial method because the cables are already needed for the receivers and thus, I might as well put them to good use.

2. Nov 4, 2017 #2 of 16
    DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    How are you determining that you are losing connection to internet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Nov 4, 2017 #3 of 16
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    Hitting the "-" on the various remotes either displays connection or not connected.

4. Nov 4, 2017 #4 of 16
    DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Ok. Learn something new every day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Nov 4, 2017 #5 of 16
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Using wireless for Hr44 will not cause you to lose any bandwidth -The HR24 has a Internal Deca just as the Hr44 has -With one exception -Putting a RJ45 Cable into the Hr44 Does NOT disable the deca function- (HOWEVER) should you plug a RJ45 into the HR24 it will disable the Deca Function for that receiver and you will no longer see the play list.

6. Nov 5, 2017 #6 of 16
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah you can plug in one Ethernet cable into the hr44, disconnect the power to the bbdeca you have been using and it’s the same thing as you had before.

7. Nov 5, 2017 #7 of 16
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    Why would the installer use a DECA in the first place then? You sure I don't need the DECA to access the HR-24? How will the other receivers get internet if just the HR-44 is plugged in to the router? Built-in DECA in the HR-44? Should I cancel my DECA order?

8. Nov 5, 2017 #8 of 16
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    the DVR is the router between internal network eg clients and Internet

9. Nov 5, 2017 #9 of 16
    SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    iz
    I'm just baffled why the installer a few years ago wouldn't have just hooked the genie up via ethernet, removed the DECA and said you're good to go? Was the DECA ever needed in a Genie set-up? It just seems like such an easy solution that was just overlooked.

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    we have literally 100s posts why DTV want put everything on own network ...

11. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    I also saw this on another forum - Once the Genie is connected to the internet it provides it to all DTV receivers in the system but if they not an HR24 then they will need a DECA home adapter to splitt the internet off the coax to feed the internet to the Ethernet port.

Is this going to be an issue for me?

12. SteelersFan

SteelersFan AllStar

Nov 4, 2006
    UPDATE: Plugged Ethernet into HR-44, pressed red button reset. Upon reboot, full internet. HR-24 removed DECA and unplugged. Full internet. Kudos to this thread on what to do. Shame on DirecTV for making me waste a few years of an overheated powered DECA when I didn't need it in the first place.

And even as current as today, the tech support person only gave me two options: schedule a service call at $99 or sign-up for the monthly support. And his resolution was without a DECA, I would need to plug ethernet cables into each of my four receivers. Go figure.

242424 likes this.
  13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    if you didn't read these 100s posts yet, a reminder - Ethernet only config is NOT SUPPORTING by DTV !!!

14. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Technically they do not support Ethernet directly into the hr44. That’s why. I’d go ahead and get the deca assuming it wasn’t expensive and see how it goes with Ethernet directly into the hr44.

Genies are the only ones you can do that with. And HR24 get their access via the deca cloud in the coax. There should be a splitter where the current deca is correct?

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Or to be more precise, instead of using a separate BB DECA, the Genie's internal DECA can act as the bridge between the inside MoCA network and the ethernet connection to the router for internet access.

The downside to this is that the Genie must be placed near the router or other convenient ethernet access to the home network of course.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    sure (I did mention that in my post#8 ;) )