1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my signal good enough?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jimmy16x, Aug 12, 2017 at 4:05 PM.

1. jimmy16x

jimmy16x New Member

Saturday
    I just finished installing my new swm 5lnb dish using the signal strength meter on my HR54 receiver and I'm wondering if my signal strength is good enough or should I get my dish checked with a meter? I'm in western North Carolina if that makes any difference. 101 transponders were all within 96-100 with an average of 98. 119 transponders were all within 96-100 except 23 was 0, 29 was 70 and 31 was 88, average was 97. The direct tv installation guide said these were the only two satellites to align and the rest would be OK. All my tv channels are working fine but I wouldn't mind paying someone to dither a little more if it would help rain fade significantly. Thanks for your advice.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    What is the strength of the 99 and 103 sats ( leave out the ones with an "s" after the number.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Those signals look excellent, but as jimmie57 says, you need to check the 99 and 103 sats.

4. jimmy16x

jimmy16x New Member

Saturday
    99ca was 80 average, low was 67 and high was 85. 99cb was 79 average, low was 72 and high was 87. 103ca was 88 average, low was 85 and high was 94. 103cb was 81 average, low was 79 and high was 85. BTW 110 average was 86 if it matters. Why does the installation guide Solid Signal refers you to only say align 101 and 119? What would recommend I do considering these numbers? Thanks again for your help.

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The 99 and 103 numbers are too low. They should be a minimum of 85 and preferably higher. Those are the numbers that all of your HD programming comes from. The 101 is for the SD programming. The 119 is for possibly some locals and the guide into and some foreign programming channels.
    Try this with the elevation first. Set the calibration / adjustment dial to zero. Turn it in one direction until your signal on the 99 or 103 comes down to 70 average. Reset the dial to zero. Now turn the screw the opposite direction and keep going until the signal goes up and then falls again to 70. During this time you will count very carefully the number of turns and even a partial turn. Now back the dial up half of the turns.
    Then repeat this for the side to side setting.
    This is called dithering.
    Unless you have trees in the way you should be able to get those numbers up from where they are now.

6. jimmy16x

jimmy16x New Member

Saturday
    Thanks Jimmie, I have no trees so I'll try this. I was watching Fox news last night and in clear weather I got an instant of pixilation so I guess that also shows I'm not good enough. I'll dither with it today. What about the tilt? It's set dead on what my receiver told me to set it on so should I leave it for now?

7. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Most times you set it to the recommended and just leave it.

8. tyrantkill

tyrantkill New Member

Monday
    As a installer I generally try to tune the 103cb transponder 4 to at least 90+ on a perfect install it's normally 95/96+ this will help avoid most pixelation on your HD channels also im in upstate SC and the tilt here is 66° so nc the tilt shouldn't be much different then that may vary by a degree or so but your stb will tell you the tilt aslong as your zip code is correct

9. jimmy16x

jimmy16x New Member

Saturday
    I dithered some more and got the 103's up to average of 92 but that's the best I could get. Best on the 99's is average 83. My house faces due south and the dish is mounted on the west wall with a 213 degree azimuth which puts the edge of the dish about 3 inches away from the wall but still pointing 213 degrees. This is 33 degrees away from the due south angle of the wall but I wonder if the angle of reflection is to close to the wall or eave on the 99 but OK on the other higher numbered satellites. I can get the 101 up to 99 on the signal meter and it is only 2 degrees west of the 99 satellite so I know there is no interference with it. I did play with the tilt, which was set on 67, and it didn't make any difference. I also double checked the plumb on the mast and it was perfect.
    It is very cloudy and overcast, no rain but not a clear day. Would this cause lower readings on the 99 and 103 satellites and not the others?

Best I got on the 103cb transponder 4 was 84 but the 103cb average was 90.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 7:25 PM
  10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    IMO, opposite way: avg is 84, max is 90, min is ???