1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is padding working for you?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by rsblaski, Feb 12, 2007.

How is extensive (1hour+) padding working for you?

1. Always

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sometimes

72.4%
  3. Never

27.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Now that the NASCAR season has started, I would like to dependably pad the end of the broadcasts for three hours to account for rain (or snow--Bristol 2006) delays.
    How is padding working for you?
    Does it work every time, sometime, never?
    I haven't tried it since the latest s/w version. I noticed that one member posted that he was successful in padding the qualifications yesterday. I am just curious if this issue is getting any better.
    Thanks,
    Rick

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Users have posted and I've recreated that if you set something to record, then add the padding later, that can create problems. I still lock up during the phase the HR20 should be resolving conflicts.

So I urge you to set the pad by highlighting a program, hit select, then edit the pad as you set the recording options. (Or set a 3 pad as your default recording option...) :)

As for capturing all that extra padding, I've not tested that on the current release. Sporting events seem to be the most problematic, alas. And not as simple to test as a 2am recording of a move on HBO which never fails for me.

Safest thing to do is to record all the following shows until padding is verified as working.

Cheers,
    Tom

3. Just J

Just J Crivens!

Oct 11, 2006
    That's the way I do it, and padding has worked 100% for me since version 0x10A. The only quirk is that there are no tick marks in the padded part of the recording; they're only in the "scheduled" part.

4. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada

One of the few times I've used padding, I was watching the NY Titans season opener against Chicago. I tuned in about 90 minutes late and Vs. was still showing Pro Bull Wrestling or whatever it was. It became clear that I would miss the second half of the game, so while it ws recording, and I was watching it, I padded the recording 90 minutes, and no problems arose.

5. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    I've had on and off success with padding, but have not used it since early Dec. (so I didn't vote). Like tibber and others, I'll record the following program until D* tells us it's fixed.

6. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    I voted sometimes. 2 weeks in a row the second CBS football game would stop after 40 minutes of my 90 minute padding. In general it does work.

7. LI-SVT

LI-SVT Icon

May 18, 2006
    My sports padding has never worked until 12a (current software). This weekend I padded the NASCAR pole qualifying and the ESPN2 drag racing both three hours. They both recorded fine. I do seem to have all of the padding issues with HD channels. Keep in mind this weekends experiment was on SD channels, so I am undecided if padding is fixed or not.

8. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Haven't had any problems with padding.....

9. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    thepoloman33 - You voted NEVER works.

Have you tried it since the 0x12a release? As padding is one of the specific fixes in this release.

If you have, and it still fails... please add it to the issue list for the 0x12a thread, as I haven't seen a post by you in the thread.

10. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Earl,
    I'm going to take a chance and set one of my hr20s to record the 500 using a 3 hour pad. The other one will record the two or three following programs. I will post here and in the general forum as to whether or not the three hour pad is successful.
    The only thing I don't like about adding shows is that sometimes the second program starts a little late. In the Bud Shootout on Saturday, the first recording stopped on the last lap of the race. When I started watching the second recording, the first thing I saw was a wrecked car. I was able to back the recording up to see what actually happened, but this method of "padding" can cause "spoilers" such as this.

11. NYHeel

NYHeel Godfather

Aug 21, 2006
    I voted never also since it has never worked for me unless I do it when I set up the recording. I haven't done it yet with 12a as I usually only pad sports and I rarely watch sports on the TV that the Hr20 is connected to. I mostly use my hr10 (connected to a second Tv in a different) for sports. It's a much better DVR for watching sports.

12. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    Ok, Earl. I'll take a chance too and start using the padding... plus the extra show. I just didn't read the release notes as "padding fixed" -- Consistancy and reliability of recording extensions (aka padding). Early on I lost the last part of several games :( and have felt burned. (Sorry, not very good as a tester in that case.)

13. richlife

richlife Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2006
    NYHeel, just curious. The HR10 isn't HD, is it? Except the the occasional Carolina game that isn't broadcast in HD, I've just given up on SD sports. Just too many good games, matches, and tournaments in HD to waste on SD. (I'm sure everyone has a "Carolina" that they would say the same for, I'm just interested in whether for the average sporting event, people who have HD still watch SD sports.)

14. rsblaski

rsblaski Icon

Jul 6, 2003
    Southern Nevada
    Yes, mpg2 only, so no local HD broadcasts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.