Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Mark Holtz, May 5, 2021.

1. May 5, 2021 #1 of 23
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    From BBC:

Is rewatching old TV good for the soul?
    FULL ARTICLE HERE

2. May 5, 2021 #2 of 23
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Since TV may be the only form of modern social exposure that more than a few get, I'd say that watching old TV exclusively is probably not a good thing.

We may not always like what we see, but I think it is better to be exposed to it when you have a chance to process it rather than being confronted for the first time in a live situation.

3. May 5, 2021 #3 of 23
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The article isn't suggesting "exclusive" viewing of older programs, only that older programs are popular.
    If one is watching old shows to escape reality for a few hours they can remind people of simpler times.
    Characters one loved a decade ago can be nostalgic.

Rich likes this.
  4. May 5, 2021 #4 of 23
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    And in the cases of characters such as Archie Bunker and Fred G. Sanford, culturally shocking.

5. May 5, 2021 #5 of 23
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Well, if you're thin skinned and faint of heart then yes.

6. May 6, 2021 #6 of 23
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Fortunately for harsh there are "politically correct" people at most streaming companies that censor previously acceptable material to protect him from re-exposure.
    Examples have been posted in prior threads, such as removing the Michael Jackson episode from the Simpsons and placing warnings in front of episodes of The Muppet Show.

The article Mark linked has nothing to do with the characters harsh listed as offensive. The article linked mentions The Sopranos, The Office, New Girl, Vampire Diaries, Seinfeld, The Big Bang Theory, South Park and Friends. And while there may be examples of "troublesome content" due to content that was acceptable when those shows originally aired that has been reclassified by more modern thinking, Archie and Fred are not the focus of those series.

I have been binging JAG ... and although it is two decades old it has held up fairly well. In addition to the actual plots of the episodes it is interesting to see how they handled issues of their day such as 9-11-2001 and Tailhook. They have strong characters of different races and sexes and avoided stereotypes as much as possible. It is still entertaining and thanks to being filmed under the "old standards" of 20 years ago does not fall into the current trend of showing gruesome murders and autopsies. I'd like to watch a cop show/procedural not a horror movie --- thankyouverymuch.

My wife has watched old Law and Order episodes but has reached the point where the show started to glamorize the crimes portrayed and appeal to horror fans that wanted on screen violence. blood and gore. Now she is watching Friends and The Big Bang Theory ... along with Andy Griffith and other decades old shows that were just decent television - and still are.

7. May 6, 2021 #7 of 23
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Perry Mason: A time when Family’s counted on inheritance and ways to speed it up –DIVORCE was Shamed and to be hidden and -Everyone was borderline Alcoholics or girlfriend was. All of which resulted in a Murder ---or the GOOD OLD DAYS

8. May 6, 2021 #8 of 23
    harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Watching too much news has created an entire generation of people who are thin skinned.

9. May 6, 2021 #9 of 23
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    How sad for them. Thankfully not all humans are as frail as they are.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm afraid that they are more legion than you think.

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Or thick headed ... but your side track was NOT the point of the article posted. The article was about people nostalgic for less recent TV shows. Not nostalgic for the most controversial programming ever to air (even controversial at the time). The article didn't apply negative stereotypes to people as you have done.

Based on how far off topic you are I'd say you didn't bother to read the article. If you did, you certainly didn't understand it.

12. lesleyharrell742

lesleyharrell742 New Member

May 7, 2021
    Sure!! for me personally just thinking about favorite TV shows was sufficient to make me feel better
    I love old favorite TV shows, they are so nostalgic !!

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    On the other hand, from my view of the world life is very short. I don't want to waste my time watching shows I saw 60 years ago. I don't even have time to watch everything current I'd like to see. Different strokes I guess.

14. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yup, everybody does it their way these days. I'm getting ready to binge SoA again. There are series that I watch damn near every year. GoT, The Sopranos...series like that. Different strokes, to be sure.

Rich

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    What you talking about, Willis? :D

phrelin likes this.
  16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I consider episodes of M*A*S*H, Dragnet, Adam-12, I Love Lucy, Golden Girls, and Emergency to be "potato chip television". With the exception of the occasional two-parter, these series episodes tend to stand on their own and tend to be interchangeable, and like potato chips, you can't eat just one. These series were not serialized as well. And, the newest of these series, Golden Girls, ended in May, 1992... almost 30 years ago. Think about that... this was an era where the new shows aired on the three major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC), and if you missed an episode of that series, you had to wait for a rerun months later. Even in syndication, it was just one episode per day back then. It wasn't until the 1980s that the households had more than one television and a VCR to "time-shift" your program for later viewing. Before that, it was just a single expensive television, and it was what daddy wanted to watch, and the kid was the remote.

Another consideration.... for some of us during this Covid-crisis, we have been working longer work days, and really don't want to get vested in a newer television series on a week-to-week basis, and instead prefer to "binge-watch" a series. Some of us got burned watching a brand new series only to see it cancelled with unresolved storylines after the end of the first season. In some cases, we have the television on as a bit of noise to get through the day and occasional evening. In addition, some of us have some challenges with some of the "creative choices", which make some sense when you consider that 49.657% of the television households are in the top 25 television markets.

TheRatPatrol likes this.
  17. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I haven't been able to find too much NEW good stuff to watch, so have to go back to the classics now and then. At this point, I can't watch Diff'rent Strokes, Chips, Knight Rider, Dukes Of Hazzard, A-Team, I Love Lucy, Burn Notice, 24, Strike Back, Wonder Years, Boy Meets World, Everybody Loves Raymond, King Of Queens, Seinfeld, TBBT, 2.5 Men, Three's Company, Friends, Night Court, etc. I have this weird thing where I seem to remember the episodes too well.

Some of the shows haven't held up that well too. Hard to buy Michael Weston as an uber spy using a moto flip phone :D. 24's gadgets are kind of dated now too.

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Did you know Michael Weston is an actor (House, among others) and Michael Westen is a character (Burn Notice)?

I don't mind the "low tech" approach ... if the spy can work with two cans and a string instead of comms and a supercomputer driven support center they are a better spy. "Secret Agent Man" fell into that trap back in the 1960's. It started as a show where the spy used his wits and cunning to get the job done. Then the Bond films came out and spies became gadget driven. It changed the feel of the show (and how spies were portrayed). I believe the shift to gadget driven (and bordom with the role) is why actor Patrick McGoohan stopped being a "Danger Man" (British for "spy") and retired ... and we found out what happens when a spy who knows too much wants to quit being a spy (a good concept for a show). While not a sequel, "The Prisoner" was inspired by the question "what happens when a spy retires".

19. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    That's where the new Macgyver lost me after 5 mins of the pilot. The original show was based in reality and was science based with the exception of a few Indiana Jones type episodes. In the pilot he was randomly deflecting bullets with a serving tray and I bailed. That's not Macgyver.

20. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I just think, old TV, like anything else nostalgic is comforting. Forget the content. If it's older and familiar, it's going to make you feel good.

mke likes this.