Is setup wired correctly (SWM box)?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by nolow, Jan 7, 2018.

1. nolow

nolow New Member

May 4, 2012
    A back bedroom TV receiver is no longer getting a good signal. I keep geting error 775. I was changing the coax wires around. I just want to make sure I put it back correctly. I was looking to see if there was a faulty coax.

There are only 2 standard receivers at my house. One is in the living room and one in a bedroom. The living room works fine. They bedroom gets the error message. The main coax comes from outside into a splitter. This wire goes into the input side of the splitter. One output feeds a wall coax output in the bedroom (not getting a signal). The other output feeds the coax wall plate in the living room. From there it goes into the input side of the SWM (grey box). The output of the SWM goes directly into the living room receiver. Let me know if that makes sense.

Before I call Directv for a service, is there anything else I can try? I tried running a coax cable directly from the splitter to the bedroom TV. It will receive a signal for a while, but it will then give me the error. I tried a brand new cable and it did the same thing. I can get intermittent signals.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    from my personal experience, when I was at "crime scene" - say some asked for help with a case like your, I'm usually begin from tracing cables, getting all connectors, switches, splitters, LNBF, etc, making hand sketch, marking all devices/parts/inputs/outputs on the paper, getting models from each label/port, measure/estimate length of cable runs and it's kind (sometimes you would find pieces of RG-59 :eek:)...

that drawings would help you if you will come again or other person who will be involved; usually no one user bother to do that survey and documented it. Professional habits, ditto.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    You can’t Tested that way. You have to have the swim power supply connected in order to get signal. So you would need to move this one power supply to the bedroom if you were going to bypass the splitter. You might try that.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Could be a failing receiver.
    You could swap them around and see if the problem goes with the bedroom receiver or not.
    I was having that for awhile when my son had an H21. Then it died. He then got an H24 for a replacement and it has not had this problem since.

5. nolow

nolow New Member

May 4, 2012
    It ended up being a bad receiver. I was going to swap them out last night, but I never got around to it. It would have saved the technician some time. He spent a couple of hours here.

jimmie57 likes this.
  6. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    Wow.. it took him a couple hours to figure out it was a bad receiver? Did he have an AIM meter?