1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is SWM being installed to regular customers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 21hawk, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21hawk

21hawk Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Can anyone verify the SWM is being installed in non-CE installations, I remember a thread a week or so ago, but wasn't sure anyone could verify that. Thanks.

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    As far as I know they are not being distributed to installers for general public installations at this time. They may be, but I haven't seen any confirmation here.

3. Sep 1, 2007 #3 of 52
    21hawk

21hawk Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I must say I am disappointed to read another post where someone has had a SWM8 lying around and didn't even have a 5 LNB dish installed, "just waiting for something worth watching" was the qoute, Talk about abusing the CE process. WTH, I am not fortunate enough to have HD Locals so I rely on OTA, but since the installer wanted to rip me off to install a seperate line for OTA, in a few days, I will have to chose between new HDs and local HDs. I have autopayed my bill for years, a bill that averages well over 100 dollars, and I get to read where a piece of equipment that I desperately need was sent to to someone who tossed it aside until they felt like using it, that is enough to tick a guy off.
    WAY TO ALIENATE A LONG TIME, ALWAYS PAY ON TIME, YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO SEND ME A BILL, SPORTS SUBS OUT THE ^*&, KIND OF CUSTOMER!! Rant over.

4. Sep 1, 2007 #4 of 52
    Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Can you point me in the direction of that thread/post... as that shouldn't be the case.

Part of the agreement to get SWM, was that you would install and use it.

5. Sep 1, 2007 #5 of 52
    saryon

saryon Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    My 5LNB, HR20 and H20 were installed yesterday, the installers told me that they had a SWM in the shop which they were evaluating, but had no idea if/when/at what cost they would be deploying them in the field.

6. Sep 1, 2007 #6 of 52
    dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    yeah, i am curious to see the thread also, as i would love to have a swm

7. Sep 1, 2007 #7 of 52
    saryon

saryon Icon

Aug 12, 2007
  8. Sep 1, 2007 #8 of 52
    Volunteer

Volunteer Cool Member

Oct 14, 2006
    Had the HR20 upgrade and Slimline dish done last Saturday and was promised a SWM by the retention CSR who took the order.

I asked specifically for the SWM to be included on the install at least 2 times and each time described what I was talking about (1 wire -to- 2 tuners) and she clearly understood (eg. "you won't need the b-band converter with the swm") and affirmed each time that it would be on the order and part of the install.

No big surprise, it was not. The installer said they knew about them, but were not installing them and wasn't sure if they even had them to install and further more really did not want to install them as they'll lead to a lot of service calls headaches with hidden splitters and diplexers, and incompatible equipment (eg HR10) on the SWM line.

FWIW

9. Sep 1, 2007 #9 of 52
    saryon

saryon Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    My installer also said it would cut into their additional line charges per install..

10. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Well sorry that it will "cut into" the installers additional line charge...
    but in theroy... they will be able to use the existing wiring in your house, and they should be able to do more installs in a day...

Or the installer company should work out a flat rate if an SWM is to be installed.

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Umm... just because someone "just" updated their information, doesn't mean they just installed their SWM...

I know for a fact that Racer88 connected it shortly after receiving it, as I was working with him, to get it connected.

Most of the SWMers haven't gone back and updated their profile, and as anyone of them will "attest" too, about 6-8 weeks ago, I contacted all of them to check on the status of their SWM's and asked for some information...

At the time there was only 1 person that wasn't using the switch, and that was because they where in the middle of a house move... and had uninstalled it during the move.

12. Sirshagg

Sirshagg Hall Of Fame

Dec 29, 2006
    :icon_cry:

13. saryon

saryon Icon

Aug 12, 2007
    Earl - you asked for the pointer to the thread where someone said "waiting for something good to install it for", I was just providing it based on the available information. It's the appearance of sitting on it which appears to have annoyed others. Doesn't make any difference to me, until last night I didn't have any SWM compatible gear anyway.

As for the installlers complaining about losing additional charges, hey, I said boo hoo too. I'm just reporting what I was told. I think it'd make their lives easier, thus being able to accomplish more jobs per day (aparantly they're paid per the completed job, one of the guys who was out here yesterday said he had one day where nothing went through and he didn't get paid for that day at all) and earn more per/day longterm, but I don't work for any installer company so don't know the internal politics.

14. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, I did ask for the links...
    And I was following up on what was going on with that particular user... that it isn't a case of someone sitting on it.

15. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    And one from installers,

I (we) contract to install the items listed in the basic installation.

The OTA antenna line is not part of the deal. Neither is the second recorder line. Neither is running any phone line other than the modular patch cord that comes with the receiver.

Due to technical changes (improvements?) in the system additional specification items become necessary. The money to pay for these has largely been found by just telling the installers to work harder and expect less.

This DTV stuff is a luxury, guys.

Enough!

Happy labor day,

Joe

16. 21hawk

21hawk Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Yes I was referring to the post mentioned above. I do still question, nothing personal to anyone involved, I wonder how much info could be gathered on a SWM8 from a setup that includes 1 SWM line and 2 legacy lines. Again, someone mentioned in other posts something about abusing the CE process, and or the integrity. There are those people out here who have a real need for the equipment and the ability to test it properly, for lack of a better word, I wonder just how these people are looked over and someone scores a SWM8 to feed an absolute total of 4 tuners? Just a thought, nothing personal, just questioning the selection process.

17. jtcrusader

jtcrusader Legend

Jun 13, 2007
    Being new here, please excuse my ignorance...but what the heck is a SWM or SWM8 and what is it supposed to do? Thanks.

18. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Having once been a phone installer, anything, I mean anything that could potentially keep me out of that @#$%^& hot ass attic here in florida. Would, Im sure, be greatly appreciated.

19. Racer88

Racer88 Icon

Sep 12, 2006
    If you knew how to !@#$% read you'd see that I was talking about the AU9 dish. I don't get MPEG 4 locals and have had no reason to install the AU9 dish. I also don't appreciate your insinuations about me either.

Not that it's any of your business I did install the AU9 dish yesterday in anticipation of the D10 becoming active and actually having a use for the damned thing.
    Also not that it's any of your business EITHER. The 2nd round selection process was for exactly the SIMPLE type of setups that I have. Hence why I was selected.
    Now get over it and stay the !@#$ out of my business !@#$%^:mad: :mad: :mad:

20. 21hawk

21hawk Legend

Nov 15, 2006
    Again nothing personal, I was just "discussing" the whole process, and I am sorry, but when you post your "business" on a public forum you are making it public "business" , I was simply using your post as an example, I had no way of knowing which round you were in, no need to be so terribly defensive, my post was, and still is directed to those people in charge of selecting the participants. Breathe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.