1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the -622 the only HD-DVR available?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by c4racer, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 3, 2007 #1 of 11
    c4racer

c4racer Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I was trying to subscribe to DISH yesterday under the new HD promotion, but the CSR was telling me I had to take 2 receivers for 2 TVs - one HD-DVR and another HD-receiver with no DVR. From the website, the -622 is the only HD-DVR DISH is offering right now, and it supports 2 TV's. Am I missing something?

Do they now have a HD-DVR other than the -622 that only supports 1 TV?

I cancelled my new subscription until I can figure this out - the CSR was unable to tell me specifically what equipment I would be getting.

2. Feb 3, 2007 #2 of 11
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The ViP622 does indeed drive 2 TVs and is the only current Dish HD-DVR. But I wonder... were you asking for receivers for 2 HDTVs?

I ask because... the ViP622 only has output for HD on the primary TV. The other TV support is for SD only... so IF you were trying to sign up and ask for HD on 2 TVs, then that could be why they were trying to set you up with the other HD receiver.

3. Feb 3, 2007 #3 of 11
    TimL

TimL Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    If you have only 2 TV's you only need the 622..I believe that is the only HD-DVR on the market currently. The CSR shouldnt force you to take the second receiver (probably the 211)..Try calling another CSR. I think you can also subscribe online..

HDMe..I didnt think about the 2 HD-TV angle..

4. Feb 3, 2007 #4 of 11
    saltrek

saltrek Godfather

Oct 22, 2005
    The 622 is the only HD-DVR, and it can be used in dual mode, to support a 2 TV set-up. Call back and (hopefully) get a CSR that knows what is going on.

One thing - the 2nd TV output wil not display HD. If you your 2nd TV is an SD set, no problem. If you want a 2 HDTV set-up, you will need 2 receivers.

edit: 2 people beat me to the punch!

5. Feb 3, 2007 #5 of 11
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    On the plus side, we all gave the same correct answers at the same time! :)

6. Feb 3, 2007 #6 of 11
    c4racer

c4racer Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I originally signed up on-line, but the CSR I got was pretty bad. Perhaps she did not understand that my 2nd TV was not HD, but she made it sound like the promotion was not available for the dual TV HD-DVR so she had to put in for 2 receivers to get the promo deal. Which of course made no sense to me. I wasn't getting anywhere with her so I decided to bail and try again later. I'll try signing up on-line again on Monday AM and see who calls me back, or maybe just call instead of signing up on-line. Seems to be no benefit to signing up on-line because the CSR had to walk me through everything from scratch anyway when they called to confirm, so didn't seem to buy me anything.

7. Feb 3, 2007 #7 of 11
    Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The online setup is flat-out wrong in a couple of places I think anyway... so talking by phone is usually better, assuming of course that you get to talk with a CSR that understands the product offers available.

8. Feb 4, 2007 #8 of 11
    baudo219

baudo219 Cool Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I have to totally agree with you there. I tried to sign up online on February 1. First of all, the website wasn't working properly and when I decided to bail on the website, the CSR I spoke to shot down half of the information that was given on the website. In particular, several of the things that had to do with the "no up-front cost" VIP622. For Example:

Website says in order to receive free 622, you must choose AT200 - CSR said this was not the case and I was able to sign up for AT100 with RSN's. Website also said you must choose auto billing for free 622 - CSR said this was not the case. There was no mention of the $10/month credit over 10 months with new sub, but CSR gave it to me anyway. I feel like I got a much better deal on the phone and it sounds like if you are going to have to re-hash everything with a confirmation phone call from a CSR, it is easier just to call.

9. Feb 4, 2007 #9 of 11
    killzone

killzone AllStar

Dec 27, 2006
    I guess that means they won't give you a job as a dish CSR!

10. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You are probably right about that ;)

11. c4racer

c4racer Cool Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Well - I tried again today, and I'm much happier now. The call center I got routed to was indeed in the US - TX. The CSR knew the deals and the equipment. He set me up for the top 250 with the HD package and local channels. The price actually came out $10 / month less than what the other CSR and the website both quoted me. First of all the $6 HD fee only required if you have the HD equipment, but do not subcribe to the HD package. And secondly, he set me up with a $4 discount for direct billing to a cc (added bonus I will get airline miles for that). And also he set me up with a free 3 month sub to Showtime as an added bonus.

So over-all I am quite pleased that I bailed on the CSR from hell and tried again today during normal business hours.

Install is scheduled for Thursday AM. I can't wait.

And I have lots of time on my hands for watching TV for another month or more too as I am healing up from a broken collarbone.... New toys to play with will give me something to look forward to!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.