1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the D10's 16x9 setting supposed to do something?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Capmeister, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Just curious. Got a widescreen TV for my office, but both the 4:3 and 16x9 settings seem to be the same.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Well "kinda"...

It is a carry over setting that has been there since the first box has ever been out. A long time ago, DirecTV would broadcast both a 4:3 and a 16:9 version of the program, and that setting was to set your default.

Now... it is basically a setting that effects nothing.

Upgrade to an H20 :D

3. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    An H20 is $100. :(

I prolly will after a bit, but I don't want to split my antenna to a second receiver. Wouldn't it degrade the main signal?

4. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    No, not really.

Digital signal is a digital signal... if you can recieve it, you get the picture.
    Splitting with a high quality signal won't degrade it enough to be a problem.

5. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    But it's an OTA signal... and I'm on a deep fringe antenna. I thought it might be a problem. If not, I'd be willing to put a splitter on.

6. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    But even the "OTA" you are picking up the digital signal...
    You should be fine, so long as you put a high quality splitter on it.

7. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Can you recommend a high quality one?

8. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I 'll tell you something weird on my 50" RPTV when I have it on 4:3 it doesn't look
    as good as the 16:9 setting go figure right.That with my D11-500.

9. Brent04

Brent04 Legend

Nov 22, 2004
    Well I have a 60" DLP rear projection HDTV and an UltimateTV receiver and have the screen size set to 16:9 and it does do something on the UltimateTV receiver. If the show is in letterbox and has it listed as such in the guide then the UltimateTV receiver automatically zooms the picture to get rid of the the black letterbox bars on the top and bottom. I have noticed that if a program that starts at say 8:00 pm actually comes on at 7:59pm before the time and guide on the receiver turns to 8 at first I will see the letterbox bars but once the time on the receiver turns to 8 the image automatically zooms in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.