Is the FCC ready to think outside the set-top box?

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by phrelin, Nov 14, 2015.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From the LA Times comes Is the FCC ready to think outside the set-top box? which tells us:

From this article It would appear that a combination of forces are pushing to make the "set-top box" a Roku box built into a tv signal receiver box. The problem is right now without a set-top box live streaming is possible for a few tv channels along with "on-demand" streaming for most programming using other devices through the internet without a set-top box.

IMHO cable and satellite TV has about a decade before most people won't be getting their video programming. It's happening without the FCC, but it wouldn't hurt for the FCC to keep an eye on it all as many of us depend upon a cable company for our internet service.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
  3. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    What ever happened to the "cable card"? Our local cableco recently went all digital and made everybody get a thin client if they previously had analog only, tuned directly by the TV set, service.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, I see that now. The earliest one is under the General Satellite Forum even though the article is about the FCC and is of significant interest to cable, the second is under a Directv Forum. It is, of course, about Regulatory Issues so I didn't see it in those other Forums.

1 person likes this.
  5. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    Seems kinda late to be concerned about set top boxes for cable - me thinks it is a case of fiddling (pun intended) while Rome burns.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm not sure exactly how this will unfold. On one level, forcing set-top box independence is akin to forcing Microsoft to run Apple software or Apple to run Microsoft software... or XBox to play PS4 games, and vice-versa...

I'm not sure there is truly any huge thing to be gained by allowing people to take a set-top box from one provider to another OR buying their own and using that instead of a cable-co supplied one. It seems like a "war" being fought over a minor thing, and a win being more of a "win" than anything meaningful.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Although... You have a choice of games for xbox or ps4, and which system to get, where as in cable, you don't have that same choice for the most part.

But I agree, I don't think this will actually do anything, I don't see anyone clamoring to get into this market in the first place.Tivo has shown if people wanted in, they could be in right now.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    True.. it wasn't exactly an apples to apples comparison, but it was about as close as we get I think. I also agree that Tivo and Sling (especially before Dish bought them) proved they could make add-on devices to cable installations that anyone could use. VCRs also could be connected to the older analog cable systems back in the day... so it was really just those cable converter boxes that were company-specific... and there's not really a huge market for that kind of device.

I mean, who is going to pay a lot of money for a 3rd party device when the cable company will "give" you one essentially? So those 3rd party converter boxes would have to be really cheap... and if they're really cheap, what company stands to make any money producing such a thing?