1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is The Lack of Active OTA Tuners Holding You Up From Ordering A HR20 Now?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by judson_west, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    I was wondering if anyone else is waiting until the OTA tuners are active before they order a HR20. The presumes that you CAN order a HR20 now.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    What's a problem ? Just wait - it was mentioned the tuners will be on at end of August.

3. deraz

deraz Daydreamer DBSTalk Gold Club

Sep 25, 2004
    Not me.... I can't get OTA without constructing a huge tower with a blinking light on top!

4. marcello696

marcello696 Cool Member

Aug 16, 2006
    For me it isnt an issue. Im putting the HR20 in the loft until Im satisfied that it can replace the HR10-250. The HR10 will stay in my HT room with OTA connected

5. JBernardK

JBernardK Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    To me it is a major issue. D* has a history of including ports that never get turned on. Also, the fact that they can turn them on and off is of concern. Suppose they decide to activate them only in regions that do not have locals on D*? No one really knows what will happen with this.

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    So does every other major manufactured of electronic devices for the last 20 years.... re->including ports that are never used.

It is cheaper to include the ports that you "think" you may use now, then trying to add them later.

But with this regards.... OTA flat out, bet the bank, the house, ect.... will be enabled.

1 good reason why:
    Not everyone even has SD Locals via SAT right now.... So it will take even longer for the HD Locals to get there as well...
    If you don't have OTA tuners... your are SERIOUSLY limiting the audience this product is intended for... the HDTV viewer.

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    You may not know this but the very first DirecTivo DVR units only had *1* sat tuner active. They activated the 2nd tuner at a later date. They will activate the OTA tuners, they have to. Right now the unit is still in testing. My guess is that they are disabled to limit the amount of trouble calls about the unit to be just sat issues and the unit itself.

By the time I can order one up they'll probably be enabled anyway. Non-issue for me.

8. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    I wouldn't get the HR20 simply because I have no incentive to switch to mpeg4 to get a measly 4 channels. I already get those same 4 channels from two markets via OTA antenna PLUS numerous PBS, UPN, WB, and other independent stations. I also get the CBS mpeg2 HD channel sincve its a CBS-owned affiliate. DTV is going to have to greatly increase their HD lineup with channels other than locals to entice me to add the HR20 to my household.

I never understood why they went with locals from all markets instead of just those that had limited OTA reception. I would have rather seen them use the remaining bandwidth to add HD channels like Sci-Fi, FX, USA, History Channel, and other channels that I would actually watch. Right now they have nothing new to offer me in the way of HD programming. Who else thinks that the next step will be to upgrade all of the shopping networks to HD instead of something worthwhile? No doubt whatever gets added to the mpeg4 sats will be whatever brings in the most revenue for DTV.

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    "We" (meaning forum boards) have had this debate multiple times.

You had 1 of 2 choices.... because of bandwith constraints

1) More National HD
    2) More Network HD

The "bulk" of new HD programming is on the Network HD's...
    The "bulk" of the major sporting events are on Network HD's and RSNs (football, baseball)

There is a lot of other programming out there in HD on other networks, but IMHO.. .the network lineups have way more original new HD programming, then the "cable" companies.

And given that the Networks, Affiliates, and the FCC won't allow a true national feed of these things... DirecTV selected to go to get the local markets their HD for the networks..

They couldn't do both based on bandwith availability.

You would be very surprised to find how many people dont' want a "radio shack" antenna, or simply can't get their DT signal at all.... who are happy they can get it via SAT..

Do we want more of the National stuff... of course..
    But what would most people rather see? The new episodes of Lost, Desperate Housewives, CSI, L&O, Playoff Baseball in HD?
    Or Movies that are available via DVD, and specials on the Food network...

(I am not knocking those shows that are availalbe....on other networks... it is just I think more people are intreted in the primetime programming then the "cable" shows)

10. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Since the way my HD TiVos can now share a multiswitch with the antenna is good because I don't need to run a 3rd cable, what is the plan with the HR20? I know we can't diplex the signal with the MPEG-4 dishes. The reason I would want to keep my antenna is for the other sub-channels such as weather, etc. Any ideas?

11. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    End game plan...
    New technology that you will only need 1 cable to run the SAT signal (FTM)
    So you would only need 2 cables to also include an OTA signal.

Till then... 3 cables is the only option if you want the extra OTA signals.

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Would be nice but none of these channels exist and won't for quite some time.

13. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    The lack of OTA has nothing to do with why most would not (more appropriately stated -- can not) adopt the HR20. It is only available in LA.... I do have local MPEG4 network availability and most likely will wait "some" time before considering/making the switch.

Granted, I understand the frustration why OTA is not out there on "day 1" for those that do not have MPEG4 locals...I do. I see no reason why Earl would hold back and claim something that is not obvious. DTV has every reason to enable OTA on the HR20, it is just not there today, "day 2" of its official release.

If/when I do really consider making the transition to the "r box"...it would still be +1 HR10, +2 HR20 (if), +3 the several SD DTiVos I currently have, and lastly the R15 in "my" DTV line-up.

The transition to more MPEG4 obviously will change that order for me, as well as the vast majority of the rest of DTV customers.

14. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I knew there was a reason I saved my old HIRD-E8 HD receiver when the DTV stopped, but the OTA kept going. When the "man" comes tomorrow to install my HR20 and 5 LNB dish, I'll use the E8 to do OTA. I can get them all with the Radio Shack UHF antenna in the attic. Of course, I can't record them, but.....

I have no doubt those tuners will be activated. It's only a matter of "when."

15. captain_video

captain_video Icon

Nov 21, 2005
    Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all.

Unfortunately, the "cable" shows don't have as large a following as they deserve. There are some topnotch shows being aired by the "cable" channels. I'm talking about shows like The Closer, Rescue Me, Eureka, Nip/Tuck, and several others that are head and shoulders above anything the networks have to offer. Rescue Me has quickly become one of my favorite shows and some of the others I mentioned have superb scripts and acting that would put most of the network crap to shame. I find it ironic that many of the Emmys are being awarded to many of these shows in favor of the network shows you mentioned. At least I can watch The Closer and Saved in HD. Now if they can just get the rest to follow suit.:rolleyes:

16. phlydude

phlydude New Member

Aug 17, 2006
    I've been waiting for this unit to be released before I pull the trigger and buy a HDTV set. I live in the philly market but am 40 miles away from the closest boradcasting tower...I don't want or need an OTA connection and could care less about it ever being activated AS LONG AS my locals get carried in HD on t mpeg-4 stream

With the new birds, there will be 1600 channel or so add'l capacity. As new national networks get added (or existing convert), there is capacity there.

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Some of those shows are fantastic shows... but as you said.... they don't have as large a following as they should.... and that ultimately probably led to the choice to go with Locals first....

More people follow "those" shows (on the networks) then those on the "cable" channels...

My wife and I have found over time... we know less about what channel a show is on... because of the DVR... we just know it is on the hard drive.

18. Tseren

Tseren Cool Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Earl,

As a fellow Chicagoan, it really irks me that there is no word on WGN HD as part of the local package. My OTA stinks in the city and I am very tempted to go to Comcast for this reason. Add to this that diplexing won't work with the new dish (I don't have the dedicated lines for all the boxes I want) and I am wondering how this is going to be handled.

19. finaldiet

finaldiet Hall Of Fame

Jun 13, 2006
    I live about 30-35 miles SW of the city and i get all locals, even 9 in HD. My antenna is an old one I found laying in my attic on a box. Ran a cable through house and it works great other than the fact its all dirty and laying on a box. I believe you must have another issue. Did you check and use 9-1 for HD?

20. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm in the Philly market. I get OTA channels quite well with my HR10-250.

OTA is a MUST for me. For one thing, DirecTV has a history of compressing HD signals to increase the number of junk channels carried. I want my OTA locals at full bandwidth.

I'm in the following situation:

HR10-250 - paid $1000 for it
    Sony HD200 - paid $800 for it, it's dead after a lightning issue
    Sony A65 - sitting on the shelf, could be reactivated.

I need to put a replacement on the upstairs SD TV. I had the Sony HD200 up there (it gave me OTA Locals up there, even though the TV wasn't HD) and had planned to get a smallish flat screen LCD HD TV for that room. Then the receiver died.

I am not happy with DirecTV, and seriously considering Fios when it becomes available, or a Tivo Series 3 when it is available with either Verizon Fios or Cablevision. I have held off replacing the dead receiver with an H20 for $99 (or less - the rep offered to "work with me") because of the 2-year commitment.

There are features of the Tivo that are not in the HR20-700. Suggestions, dual tuners, OTA (for now). I'm not sure that I want to stick with DirecTV.

I know that I won't be paying for a swap of the HR10-250 to the HR20-700. It'll be free or DirecTV will lose me once Fios or the Tivo Series 3 is available.

So here I sit - on the fence. I think I'll probably just reactivate the Sony A65 for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.