Is the OTA channels still working on VOOM boxes?

Discussion in 'VoomTalk.Com (Closed Forum)' started by Michael P, May 10, 2005.

1. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Title says it all. There have been several posts in the past wondring about using old VOOM boxes for HD OTA. I havn't seen anything about this subject since shortly after the final cut-off was annonced.

Also just who owns these boxes? If you had to pay ~$700 IIRC to get it installed isn't it yours to keep. Others have said they were leased boxes, if so why the high price for installation? :confused:

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Are the OTA channels still working on voom boxes? I don't know.

Voom had several "deals" over its short life. First were the 'purchase' deals costing some $400-$700+. Then, Voom offered various lease deals. The one I got was $0 up front, with a small monthly on the IRD. I would imagine that those who paid the $400-$700 now "own" their boxes, while those of us who got the no/low up front deals are under some form of a lease agreement, most likely now voided due to Voom's failure.

My voom box & remote will take up valuable space in my tech closet until such time as 1) someone shows up at my door to claim it; 2) it becomes a collectors item on eBay; or, I need the space in my closet, whichever comes first.

If I only had a boat! :shrug:

3. Kazy

Kazy Mentor

Mar 4, 2004
    I just purchased a used Voom box and the OTA works just fine.

Kaz

4. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    :cool: Keep us posted on how well it works as an OTA box.