Is the Supercast AIR Client ready?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV NFLSupercast Discussion (private)' started by cdavis0720, Aug 29, 2008.

Is the Supercast AIR Client

1. Ready to go as is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. A good idea in theory needs work on execution

76.2%
  3. Still needs major improvements but still usable

9.5%
  4. Not ready for this upcoming football season.

14.3%
  1. cdavis0720

cdavis0720 Godfather

Jun 25, 2006
    Do you feel that the Supercast AIR Client is ready to go as is? I like it in theory and think it could be a great addition to those with ST. In all honesty I have no been able to enjoy an entire game on it as of yet so think they need to work on the execution (either with the servers or the program itself) before going all out with it. What do you think?

Carl

2. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    I voted ready to go because I think the issues we have been seeing have been due to testing. We'll be able to see soon =)

3. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Ready to go. I have not had any problems with it.

4. scuba_tim

scuba_tim Godfather

Sep 23, 2006
    I think the app is sweet. Hopefully the tweaks on DirecTVs server side will make it run smoothly. It did have some bugs, but everyone did a great job finding them and DirecTV responded. Nicely Done...

So what's next?

5. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Ready to go here

6. ccr1958

ccr1958 Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    usable...but needs some tweaks..like less compression....
    the blocking gets very bad especially on
    the green playing field...

7. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Some minor tweaks left to address...but basically...ready to go.

8. rahlquist

rahlquist Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    Roll it

9. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    seems alright to me.. but I'm no expert :lol:

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I didn't vote, as I'm really not sure which answer best describes my impressions. I do not know how many of the issues we've seen are related to the testing, and how many were actual issues. If all were test related and none will show up in actual use, then it is probably ready. The most recent issue for me has been not being able to use high quality mode, and in general the first few days I was involved worked better than the last couple.

I don't have NFLST, so I won't be using this during football season. Nice to get to see what it is all about in this trial. Thanks for the opportunity.

Carl

11. dbmaven

dbmaven Icon

May 29, 2004
    I've had few client side issues - so I believe that it's ready to go. It may need a tweak or two here and there - but in its current form it's very usable.

I think the issues, if there are any - will come up on the server side - which is why I give DirecTV a lot of credit for doing the stress testing last week. Nothing like putting real load on both the network and the servers to be able to extrapolate to the real world audience they expect next week. As I recall, last year the servers weren't even close to being able to handle the load for the first couple of weeks after release - so they're prepared this year.

12. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Looks good to me so far.

13. ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    Assuming they can handle the laod properly, which I believe was a problem last year, it's good to go. Never had the highlights working, but I consider that an add-on, and if it were me, wouldn't delay the release just for that (but I would be working my tuchas off to gt it fixed).

14. afulkerson

afulkerson MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

Jan 14, 2007
    Still needs tweaking.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Folks,

Sorry, I'm going to have to shut this down .. Some of the testing that was done intentionally broke some things to test failure situations .. That's what testing is all about, right?

You can continue to discuss, but the Poll will need to stay closed

16. cdavis0720

cdavis0720 Godfather

Jun 25, 2006
    Thanks for that compromise Doug!

Carl

17. SAlBO

SAlBO Icon

Jan 6, 2007
    I believe it to be ready. It works perfectly and +1 to whomever designed the gui. Simply beautiful.....

18. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    It has always worked very well on my home LAN, I can say that much. I never had much luck at work but I am entirely convince that has to do with issues with our office DSL connection and the cluelessness of our local AT&T techs. :)