Is the Tivo Directv HD-DVR really not supported anymore?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Dcm210, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    I have an HR21 that died and I wanted to get the Tivo HD-DVR to replace it with. The guy was almost done until his system was supposedly giving him an error. He then did some research and come to find out the receiver isn't made or supported anymore. But it's still listed on their website. So I settled for just a new HD-DVR free of charge and shipping cost waived.

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It is over 10 years old, not surprising if they don't have any more refurbished ones left / don't want to send any more out at this point.

3. Dcm210

Dcm210 Godfather

Jan 17, 2009
    Ok thanks. I just wasn't sure if they were being lazy and just didn't want to give out a good receiver.

4. sbl

sbl Icon DBSTalk Club

Jul 21, 2007
    You're really better off with the newer HRxx (probably HR54). The THR22 still works, but its only advantage is for people (such as my wife) who are bonded to the TiVo interface.

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    And a Tivo interface that is two generations old

6. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Older TiVo GUI doesn’t bother me, as long as navigating thru menu’s is snappy. Our family still dislikes the new Genie GUI.

My mom still loves the THR I gave her after I got done with the beta testing, especially with the 2TB drive I dumped in it. My dad has a HR24 in the other room, and prefers the TiVo snappiness too over the 24.

7. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Yup. We've got a currently-functioning THR in one room that had replaced an HR10 (in order to get Hi-Def).

Pretty much the same interface as that old HR10, and the main user in that room really likes it.

Although it's still "supported" in terms of functioning, I've read that trying to add a THR to a T account these days can be a nightmare.

(I'm glad ours was activated a few years back.)

It definitely out-performs the HR21, but if the OP is used to the HR21 interface, hopefully they'll get an HR24 and be the UI they're used to.

8. codespy

codespy RIP Starr! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Yea, doing anything on a T account is a nightmare. My dad and sister’s accounts are transitioned. Thank god im still on a D account.

9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    For most people / use cases, its pretty much the same thing. One thing I'm noticing is that it takes more button presses to get through some of the menus, but most people use season passes.

I do like that I can view shows by season, makes my usage pattern a lot easier.

I've had my HR54 for about a month. It still sometimes freezes, but definitely snappier then my old HR24 that froze for 30 seconds on pretty much every button press.