1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a backlit RF remote that works with C51?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cypherx, Nov 8, 2018.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Hi,
    In my bedroom I have a 40” TV on the wall and a C51 client Velcro to the back of the TV. Since the C51 is hidden behind the TV the remote needs to be RF compatible. The thing is in the bedroom it’s very hard to see the buttons on the stock remote. I usually have to use my cell phone screen to light up the remote. Many times instead of hitting guide I accidentally hit record since the buttons are next to each other. Or I mix up FF, skip and Prev all the time.

So do they make a backlit one that can be paired to the C51? This one is fragile, lost the back cover and every time it falls, the batteries fly out and roll all over the floor. Since I can’t buy just a battery door I might as well look into an illuminated remote.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Look for the ones that are RC71b or RC73b. The "B" is for the backlight.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_89k19vp1c0_e

3. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Is the 73 better than the 71? It’s cheaper on amazon and cheaper is not always better. I remember when I had the client installed, tech said a certain remote could do RF. I think the original easier to use remote was the one that could only do IR on the client, even if using the RF version.

4. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    The 73 is supposed to use more codes than the 71. Amazon will let you return it if it does not work for you.

cypherx likes this.
  5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have the RC73 and the RC73B. The 73B is backlit. There is a difference between the two. The 73 is more responsive, the 73B is backlit and has white buttons that are easier to see in a dark room than the black on black buttons on the 73. I got the 73 with my 44. I bought the 73B because it illuminates the buttons and I use that remote.

Rich

6. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Thanks everyone! I think I’ll get the 73B fro
    amazon.

Rich and jimmie57 like this.