1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a DVR "Recycle Bin"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by cypherx, Dec 15, 2010.

1. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I'm pretty sure the answer is no... but the wife wants me to ask anyway. She deleted one of her episodes of "The Sing Off" on nbc on the DVR. Normally I can just grab it on BitTorrent, but no one seems to be ripping this show. We can use Hulu to get it, but the resolution stinks vs. a 720p torrent.

So when you delete a program, there is no recovery or recycle bin correct?

2. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry no bin wish there was one

3. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Ok that's what I thought, but I promised her I would ask!

Thanks.

This happened yesterday, so if there was a recycle bin, it may of been overwritten by now anyway (a few recordings occurred since then).

4. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    +1, I would think that a recycle bin would be one of the most desired features and am quite surprised that it does not already exist..

5. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    :whatdidid I don't get it. If you don't want it deleted... don't delete it :lol:

As far as accidental deletion, you have to press the button, and the DVR even asks, "Are you sure?".

6. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    I don't know how she deleted it. I know sometimes there are delay or latency issues with the remote, and maybe she overcompensated and the software 'caught up' and ended up saying yes to delete. I know I almost deleted stuff by accident before.

7. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yeah, except if you hit 'dash-dash' the show will be gone immediately. I've done it once or twice to myself :( and once to my wife. :eek2:

8. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Mistakes happen. We all make them. Wishing for a Trash Bin is probably one of those mistakes. Look at how the DLB NR that made so many people happy screwed up so very many HRs. Be careful what you wish for.

Rich

9. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's one trick play to avoid. I like being asked if I really want to delete it.

Rich

10. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Same here I dont use dash-dash anymore

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Icon

Nov 14, 2006
    I never dash-dash my wife :lol:

12. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    !rolling

Yeah, I learned my lesson... won't do that again. :lol:

13. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    How hard would it be to give us a Recycle Bin???

14. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Did DirecTivo have one? Doesn't the real TiVo have one? Of course whatever is in "the bin" would be subject to be overwritten if needed.

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Of course but normally when you accidentally Delete a Show or your Kids Delete it, it hasn't been that long since it's been Deleted so the chance of it still being there is still Great!!!

16. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    DirecTivo (SD or HD) never had one. Standalone Tivos have one now (they didn't originally). I assume the cable ones that they are doing with cable companies have one and, probably, the new DirecTivo will have one.

The recycle bin does not get overwritten on Tivo until it needs to. The order of disk usage on the Tivo is:

1) unused space
    2) deleted items (in reverse date order)
    3) autorecorded suggestions
    4) "expired" programs (those beyond their keep by date)
    5) non-expired programs

Not a huge fan of the recycle bin because as implemented by Tivo because deletions happen right away without any confirmation. If you made a mistake, you have to sift through the bin to get the show back. I normally keep recycle bins on email and computers clean, so I like them clean on my DVRs too. That drove me nuts (yes, a bit anal there). If a recycle bin was implemented to it asked if I want to delete something and it went in the bin, I would probably try to never look in there. But I did not like that I got no deletion confirmation on Tivo.

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Not true. My son has a SAMSUNG SIR-S4040R DirecTivo and it has a "recently deleted" folder from which you can recover deleted programs.

and from a May 26, 2008 Engadget article:

18. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Ok, I thought that I saw that feature somewhere. I knew it was technically possible.

I think the Comcast Tivo software on Motorola set tops has it too. One of the big requests was a percentage free indicator. They always said that it would not be useful, because once the drive hit 100% full, it stayed there. It just overwrote deleted programs, autorecord programs and expired programs in that order.

Tivo software pushed to Motorola DCH/DCX cable boxes never seemed to get out of a few New England regional systems.

19. nighthawk777

nighthawk777 Mentor

May 1, 2008
    Didn't someone in the forums report that you could view a deleted show by going to history under manage recordings and clicking on the date and time of the episode that had been deleted and it would play as long as it hadn't be overwritten. Or maybe that was just a reported problem with a certain firmware.

20. wagman

wagman Legend

Jul 11, 2007
    I can also confirm that the HR10-250 DirecTivo also has the feature as I had to use it just last week....and, of course, it was because the wife (as wonderful as she is) had "accidentally" deleted a show.:grin: