Is there a way to get another receiver without dealing with a truck roll?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by xrobmn, Nov 25, 2018.

1. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    Hey all.. rarely do I post many questions.. just read all the good ones over the years :)

But.. called D for discounts the other day (never hurts to ask.. right?) and gave me $60 off a month for 12 months.. sweet.. asked if I needed anything else, said anyway to get another receiver? Was told I could get another for free (which is good for one of our spare rooms).. They said "great.. when can the installer come out?" .. In the last 12 years, excluding the install and the 4k upgrade, I have been able to hook up my own receivers and not have an issue.. When I called, they said their new backend software has no option to drop ship any more and every new receiver requires a truck roll.. has any one had any luck of not having to take the day off and patiently sit for the installer?

and yes.. system can handle another receiver and nothing else needs to be changed on the dish or elsewhere..

Thanks in advanced!

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Others have reported the same thing, that if they have been converted to an "AT&T" account (i.e. new account number assigned) that even when they were able to get Directv to ship something or acquired it by other means they had to get someone out to activate it. Apparently AT&T's systems aren't fully functional for the "corner cases" yet.

Obviously that's something they will have to fix next year, since the whole premise of the new 'Directv via IP' product will be that they can drop ship clients to customers for self install using their existing broadband. That kind of depends on the customers being able to activate them, unless they are shipped pre-activated I guess.

3. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    I got an HR24 self installed after I bought it from solid signal for $199. I am not sure if I am on ATT or the old system, but based on the online techs comments I suspect I was on the ATT system. The first few people I talked to said that it required a truck roll. No thanks, I have already wasted 3 days of my life waiting for techs to arrive. I escalated the call to retention because I was also calling about my high bill and all the previous calls made me decide to call it a day and move onto another provider. In the end the lady at retention allowed me to buy the HR24 and guaranteed phone activation without renewing my 2 year contract. I also got my bill price reduced.

Everything worked as planned except I think the bill reduction is going to require monthly calls. No more contracts for me! The ship feels like it’s listing and I might decide to bail if things get worst price wise.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Most likely you leased the unit and unless it was a replacement receiver, you'll get a two year contract.

5. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I find it interesting that they’re willing to ship you a receiver to hook up to your internet for their soon to be IPTV service, but they won’t ship you a receiver and allow you to hook it up to your already existing D* system.

I called Solid Signal out of curiosity to see if they could access RC1 AT&T accounts and they told me they could not. They also said that AT&T is not activating receivers bought from them. Hope this doesn’t mean future troubles for Solid Signal.

tecnicoloco likes this.
  6. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They aren't willing to do that yet, because that option doesn't exist yet. Maybe things will be different by the time that IPTV offering launches.

7. xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007

I asked that after having to call 9 times.. I have an installer coming this Saturday.

The issue I had was I called in last weekend.. 90 minutes on the phone.. got zero dollar receivers (protection plan upgrade time) .. wanted to show up on Sunday. couldn't do it.. so then we got into the drop ship vs. truck roll.. but.. I delayed the install.. they noted account..

Called Tuesday.. first person helped. 30 minute son the phone. asked me to hold and got hung up on...

Called back 30 minutes later.. got the first line person.. said they see it but could not do the order (wanted a HR DVR and normal HD receiver).. long story but family staying with us for many months.. order system 'crashed' and they had to call me back..

called back. said she tried it again.. spent 90 minutes on the phone.. transfered me to someone that could help..

That person was useless.. said there are no notes about free receivers.. and nothing about me calling in the weekend prior.. I was like "do you see me calling in asking about movie packages and then they offered me a 2 for 1 deal".. oh yes. right here.. well. that was last weekend.. had her read me the notes and the receivers came up.. of course then they were lying and didn't know what they were talking about.. threatened to cancel.. then was routed to a call center down south I beleive..

That person answered.. apologized.. set me up for zero dollar receivers and asked if I wanted to upgrade my genie to the latest one. I'm happy with my stuff for now.. gave me $60 off a month for 12 months... and apologized again saying this is the new norm.. told her it was almost beyond painful and she said she knows my pain..

same thing a month ago when I use the protection plan to fix a tablet. under directv, one call and boom. done.. took me 4 hours and 6 transfers to get a RMA to get the device.. got the "sir.. we are a TV company. not a repair company".. had to explain their own protection plan.. at least the repair folks when I called in for a status check gave me their direct number to avoid going through the Directv call centers. lol

Hope this is not the awesome future of the deathstar :)

sorry for the ramble :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  8. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Unless something has changed recently....if they need to activate a box they can't do it on Saturday if your account is with AT&T because the AT&T activation center is only open Mon. thru Fri. At least that is what they told me when they brought my HR54 a couple of months ago on a Saturday and couldn't activate it. They had me to call back and reschedule on a weekday to get the 54 activated and when the same guy came back to do it he didn't have an HR54 with him so he had to leave and find another installer with a 54 and then came back and finally got it activated.

9. Dec 2, 2018 #9 of 12
    xrobmn

xrobmn Legend

Oct 22, 2007
    They managed to stop out today and deliver and install 2 new boxes.. The biggest complaint they had was they have to use a fleet of tools that do not talk to each other.. one to get the directv account info. another for att account.. and another to activate or something else. lol..

but I had everything ready for the guy.. cables.. etc.. was in and out in 25 minutes.. so went well

10. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    There was an episode of the Simpsons years back where Bart was on the phone with a DBS satellite CSR, probably DirecTV, and they are telling him his obligations as a customer to complete the deal and the last one was, "and you have to agree to be home from Tuesday afternoon at 2:00 PM... until forever."

I once bought a supposed $2,000, 10 piece "pit set" couch for just $800 at a furniture store's going out of business sale. I lived 70 miles from the store, and since the entire set would not fit in my van that day, as it had other things in it, I took advantage of their free delivery offer.

I waited 11 hours on the schedules delivery day, but no one showed up.

I arranged for reshipment two days later, and after nine hours I got a call from the truck driver who said he was in my area, but the furniture he was supposed to deliver didn't match what was on the truck. I called the store and asked if I could come down and get it. The time was about 7:00 and they were open until 9 and they said sure.

I got to the store at about 8:30 and there was an angry throng of people at the closed and locked loading door. It seems that they had a policy that no loading could be done after 8:00 PM. I don't know if that was an established policy or if they had had too many warehouse screw-ups that day and were just bailing out.

I was ripshit. I let them know that I had waited 20 hours and just driven 70 miles and I wanted my furniture. They told me to drive down an alley on the other side of the building, with my headlights off, and they loaded me out of a side door.

All in all, a good deal for me, because they never billed me for the furniture. I had given them 20% down - $120 - and that is all I ever paid.

sweep49 likes this.
  11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    psssstttt....Bart isn't real. He wasn't actually on the phone with a real person. :)

sweep49 and AntAltMike like this.
  12. Jodean

Jodean Icon

Jul 17, 2010
    I have access to RC1, i can activate any day any time. I have not seen a "free" upgrade" though for any att(directv) customers that were converted.

I can drop ship receivers, no problem.