Is there any real value to the Sports Package?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Thinking, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thinking

Thinking New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    It seems like anything worth watching on the regional Sports package is blacked out.

Was wondering if folks had an opinion on whether this package is worth having?

I like the Golf Channel, but its not worth it to me if that is the only useful channel in the package.

2. Rusty

Rusty Legend

Apr 25, 2002
    Personally, I don't think that it's worth buying. I had it for a short time but realized, as have you, that all of the major professional sports teams are blacked out. The overwhelming majority of the programs you can view are shown on each of the regional networks so you are simply paying for program duplication. There is one area of interest to some people that would make the sports package worthwhile. In football and basketball season, they are allowed to show games between the smaller colleges without blacking them out. personally, I have no interest in them but, if you like small college football and basketball, you can feast on many different games each season.

3. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Honestly, I kinda like it, but it depends, if your looking for all profesional sports to watch.....then I say NO.

If your a sports nut.......I say yes.

4. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    You may see a lot more college baseball games, soccer games and maybe some niche programming. Most of it is Fox Sports programming that will be repeated on all those channels. I had it and I found myself just browsing the guide...

5. John

John Cool Member

Mar 27, 2002
    It also depends on where you live. Certain parts of the country have overlap areas.

For example, my assigned RSN is Fox Sports Ohio. However, I am also in Reds and Tigers territory. In order to get their games I would have to subrcribe to the RSN package.

6. jampedro

jampedro Cool Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Not worth it. Better to spend the $120 or so annual on a pro sports league you're interested in. You'll still get your local RSN's.

7. Ryan

Ryan Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    If you NEED to follow the local sports scene in a different area, some of the RSNs provide great coverage which the sports pack would get you.

Empire is one I think of, with Hockey hotline and some of their other local sports reports. Comcast Philly would be good for that too, if it ever got on the satellite (don't hold your breath), but from what I've seen a couple times, CSN Mid-Atlantic is similar.

The sports pack will also get you pre- and post-game reports from the RSN of your choice, even if the game is blacked out.

And Dish subs have indicated previously that Dish enforces their blackouts by time frame, say three hours for a baseball game. So an extra-inning game or raid-delayed game might be in the clear for the last couple innings when the three hours expire. I don't know if it still works that way for them.

There's also minor league and fringe sports like AAA (and YES will even have some A level baseball--the Staten Island Yankees), AHL hockey, lacrosse, arena football, etc.

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Major league sports are blacked out but you can often see the end of MLB games and quite abit of minor league hockey and amateur sports. Worth itt o som-like me. but not everyone.

9. Thinking

Thinking New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Thanks for all of the input -- I decided to cancel the sports pack. I'm a Philly boy by nature, so I'll have to wait until Comcast offers up their station to Direct TV.

Besides, I signed up for the Football package, so I'll just have to last until then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.