1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a bad install guys ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Gofastr, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Gofastr

Gofastr Cool Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Just had Directv do a new install with a slim line HD dish ,Genie and clients on Tuesday of this week.
    My new home was pre wired with 4 home runs from the distribution panel out to the dish. My electrician gave him 17 feet of wire. Everything was working perfectly.
    Today after going to closing I finally sat down for five minutes,turned the tv on and received message can't communicate with satellite .
    Turns out that the installer spliced the connection why I have no idea?
    He buried the cable with the splice in the dirt leading to the dish.Seems that the splice was causing a short and not getting feed to the Genie. Once I pulled wire out of ground the picture returned.
    Called tech directly and he's coming back in the morning.
    Question is this ? Is this Cable now useless, as he spliced it approx. 4-5 feet from pole.
    Should this line be abandoned and use one of the other unspliced lines.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    Yes, a splice should never be underground. That line is basically pointless. Issue with underground fittings is very likely for water corrosion. Any splice should have drip loop that prevents water from dripping towards splice.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'd be so inclined! Be interesting to know what his thought process was.

Good luck!

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I'm not sure there was one.