1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a good deal on NAS?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by SayWhat?, May 1, 2012.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Far more storage than I need, but I wondered if any of you might be interested.

Amazon is showing a "Iomega StorCenter px4-300d Network Storage, 12TB 4-bay (4x3TB) 35101" for about $1,800 after discounts and a $100 e-coupon.

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Are you crazy ? :D Pay "about $1,800" for the box ?

[I'd experience with Iomega NAS - dual drive device; someone ask to help retrieve data; well both [Seagate] 1 TB drives was TOTALLY dead; Seagate didn't RMA because treat them as OEM and Iomega has short warranty less then for Seagate for drives, the NAS box become totally useles]

3. BrettStah

BrettStah Legend

Feb 7, 2003
    Not really... I did a little googling, and you can buy that NAS without hard drives from newegg.com, then add in four 3TB drives from newegg.com, for a total of 1289.95 (didn't check on shipping/taxes, however, so the total amount may be a bit higher).

For what it's worth, there are 5 user reviews of this NAS at newegg.com, and they aren't very good overall.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Just the box? The way I read it, I thought it included the drives, but maybe not.

Oh well.

5. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Sounds a bit like overkill for personal NAS..you could do a lot better with similar devices. Check the following link for Newegg.com NAS storage devices..it is listed by rating, so you can see the features and pricing.

http://tinyurl.com/7j8bwst

Good for serving up digital media, not always an option for recording/storing media from tv provider..

best of luck!

-=K=-

6. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yeah, that $211 tag is more then enough for such NAS ...