1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a know shortcoming of the VIP612 receiver?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Electrojim, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Electrojim

Electrojim New Member

Oct 30, 2018
    A couple of times now, my VIP612 has exhibited this problem. While recording two channels at once, and playing back an already-recorded show, the picture will freeze at some point and the receiver will not respond to any remote commands. At this point I can either reset the receiver and try again, which usually brings up the same problem in short order, or just leave the receiver in the 'hung' mode until the two shows being recorded are over. Evidently the recordings continue even though the receiver is frozen and not responsive, because they can be played back just fine at a later time.

Is this a known situation? Is it expecting too much of a two-channel recorder to play back a previous recording at the same time it's recording two different channels?

I'm hesitant to bother Dish with this because it's an old receiver, and to replace it with a current model would probably drive the monthly cost up. Thanks!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I would connect EHD 2TB or 1TB and transfer all recordings to it, then reformat internal HDD, but before run DST-1 and DST-2 tests !

3. some guy

some guy Godfather

Oct 26, 2012
    It sounds like your hard drive is finally starting to go. I would back up the content on an EHD as mentioned above, then call and get a replacement if you aren't wanting to upgrade.