Is this overkill for a sport bar with 13 receivers?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by William L Whittenberger, Jul 28, 2019.

1. William L Whittenberger

William L Whittenberger New Member

Jul 28, 2019
    The pic only shows a splitter for 8 receivers. This is what I'm given to install for a sports bar that I install as a sub contractor. I have another customer that has 8 receivers with just a swm 8 splitter but they want to add 4 or 5 more receivers. Is all this eauipment needed or is it just plain overkill?
    I'm an AV and IT contractor but I'm no expert with DirecTV equipment We specialize more in AV over IP solutions. I'm trying to learn more about the DTV stuff though.

[​IMG]

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I question whether the amplifier is truly necessary, it would depend on how far the cable distance is to the dish, you don't need it for a single DSWM30. You could split the output of the PI instead of using separate ones for the DSWM30 and amp.

If you have 13 receivers, one 8 way splitter isn't going to be enough. Not sure what the thinking was there unless they are going to use 2 way splitters further down the line (ugly!) There should be another 8 way splitter coming off the second SWM port on the DSWM30 so every receiver can have a home run.

If this is a new install, not sure why they wouldn't use the new reverse band LNB, which requires 6 coax from the dish not 4, unless there was already a dish up there they didn't want to mess with. If they ever hope to do 4K they'll at least want the other two coaxes run and connected to everything so at worst you'd only need to swap the LNB.

3. William L Whittenberger

Jul 28, 2019
    This board was made for a sports bar with only 8 receiver. I did not design that, it was done by a company that I do installs for as a contractor. But my next install is my own client and will have 13 receivers so yes, I will need a swm2 splitter and add another swm 8. The dish itself will be under 50 feet of cable away, the receivers are in a rack directly in front of that board so about 15' of cable. The deca is important because we use an ipad app to control their audio and video routing to all of their TVs.
    I just didn't know if using a sl5 swm dish was just as good as using the sl5 reverse band dish then using the dswm30 and all that other gear.... again, I have little technical knowledge of what all this stuff does. I usually just get it all connected, plug it up, hire a contractor to aim my dish and it works.
    I was trying to hire the local DTV dealer in New Orleans to help my client but they are not very good so I plan to just buy all this gear from SolidSignal and hire someone with an AIM meter to get my dish aimed properly.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  4. William L Whittenberger

Jul 28, 2019
    This is the equipment I have in the cart. I did include the 4k dish in my setup. I was wondering about the necessity of the amp too being the dish it less than 50 feet away and the receivers will be 15 feet of cable from the receivers.

Items Qty
    [​IMG]
    ProBrand Power Inserter Polarity Locker (DTV6PWRPOL-02)
    $53.99

[​IMG]
    Sonora DIRECTV Coax Amplifier with Adjustable Output (TAMP6R03)
    $155.99

[​IMG]
    ATT DIRECTV 30 Tuner Reverse-Band Capable Satellite Multiswitch (DSWM30)
    $89.99

[​IMG]
    DIRECTV GigE DECA ATT Approved Network Adapter (DCAGE11)
    $27.99

[​IMG]
    DIRECTV 8-Way Wide Band Satellite Splitter for SWM Systems (SPLIT8MRV)
    $9.99

[​IMG]
    DIRECTV SL5 SlimLine Reverse Band 5 4K LNB Satellite Dish Kit (AU9-SL5-4KLNB)
    $173.99

[​IMG]
    Perfect Vision Dual Port High Frequency Ground Block (PVGB3HF)
    $1.99

[​IMG]
    Unitron DTV-DIPLEXERR0-09 Diplexer (DTV-DIPLEXERR0-09)
    $13.99

[​IMG]
    Thomas and Betts RG6 Snap-N-Seal Compression Connector 50PK (TSNS1P6)
    $18.99

[​IMG]
    DIRECTV 2-Way Wide Band Satellite Splitter for SWM Systems (SPLIT2MRV)
    $4.99

[​IMG]
    VMP Adjustable Non-Penetrating Pitched Roof Mount for Satellite (PRM-2)
    $112.99

Subtotal:

$678.86