1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is TNT hd really HD?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by Calvin386, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aug 6, 2007 #1 of 56
    Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Or do they just strech the screen. I recorded a couple movies and they sure didn't appear to be in HD.

2. Aug 6, 2007 #2 of 56
    cdub998

cdub998 Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    A lot of their stuff is stretch o vison. They have a few things in HD but most are just stretched. Worst HD channel on TV.

3. Aug 6, 2007 #3 of 56
    sdague

sdague Cool Member

Jan 19, 2007
    What is even worse is when they play a show like Angel, which was shot letterboxed for HD. And they show it on TNT HD.

Because they cut off the wide to fit it on TNT SD, then restrech it for HD. It meaks it the worse possible way to watch it. I've given up on TNT HD, and only record stuff on the SD channel. The aspect ratio is non distorted, and it takes up a lot less space on the 622.

4. Aug 6, 2007 #4 of 56
    Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    I agree that TNT is the worst HD channel available. My fear is, in the rush to HD, we are going to see a lot more "stretch o vision" HD versions of stations JUST so they can say that they are HD. I would rather see the satellite and cable companies wait until a channel is true HD rather than carry the stretch versions of the channel.

5. Aug 6, 2007 #5 of 56
    davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    At least they make a good attempt at it. I think getting their hands on good material is where their difficulty lies. If what they show was originally 16X9 or greater it looks good. I am willing to bet it is due to budget. They are not really a premium channel like HBO so really prime movies are expensive, or the studios charge more for the 16X9 versions. Just guessing. If it is good material it looks good.

6. Aug 6, 2007 #6 of 56
    Calvin386

Calvin386 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    That's what I thought. It is really bad. I was watching Reign of Fire the other night and it was awful. Tombstone's clarity was a little better but the people were stretched.

TNT could be one of the best HD channels with all the movies they air. Instead I they are at the bottom of my list. There is no way they don't have enough money.

7. Aug 6, 2007 #7 of 56
    logicalnoise

logicalnoise Cool Member

Mar 23, 2007
    meh I can't stand edited for TV movies so in the end I don't even bother.

8. Aug 6, 2007 #8 of 56
    ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    TNT usually blows. Only once in awhile have I watched a movie on it, but I first check to make sure it isn't a stretch-o-vision one. How could anyone watch one of those and not get seasick? Under no circumstances should anything be stretched. Thankfully most of the new channels don't resort to that, rather show things in their original aspect ratio.

Was I just seeing things the other night though on TNT, it looked like they also took a full anamorphic movie and squeezed it, rather than crop, so instead of the usual short fat people you see on TNT movies, everything was a little tall and skinny. Can't remember what movie it was, but geez, can't they get anything right.

9. Aug 6, 2007 #9 of 56
    twaller

twaller Member

Dec 17, 2005
    The thing that really baffles me about TNT HD is that they will take a movie that I know is available in HD, not air that, but instead air the SD stretch-o-vision version. Make you wonder if they realize what they are doing. Even Joe Sixpack knows this aint HD.

10. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    What about "Gladiator?" I thought that looked great yesterday.

Or am I missing something? (Quite possible.)

11. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I don't know about the movies or older shows on TNT-HD, all I watch on it are the NBA and NASCAR which is at least some form of HD and not stretched.

12. Taco Lover

Taco Lover Icon

Jan 8, 2007
    I didn't see it, but as long as it's shown in it's OAR, then it looks pretty good. Anytime it's stretched, it's yuck. I remember they showed Minority Report recently... that looked really good, and sounded just as good.

13. Hunter Green

Hunter Green Legend

May 8, 2006
    Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd rather have an HD channel that shows 10% of its content in true HD, than not have it at all, because 10% is more than 0%. Of course, I'd rather have 20% than 10%, and I'd rather have 100% than 20%. But the idea of "don't go HD until you can go 100% HD" just means a choice between 20% and 0%, not between 20% and 100%.

But then, I wouldn't watch a movie on TNT either way, because they cut the hell out of movies most of the time.

14. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006

I didn't really watch "Gladiator," either. I was just surprised, as I was channel surfing, that it did look really good.

15. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    I see your point but disagree, TNT HD is not the best out there as far as an HD channel, but WAY better than SD TNT, so I'd rather have all channles in that kind of HD, then all the crappy SD channels now

16. kstevens

kstevens Icon

Mar 26, 2003
    I disagree. I would rather watch the SD version of TNT than the supposedly HD, stretched to hell, version of TNT HD.

Ken

17. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    Apparantly you've never seen A&E HD. ;)

18. projectorguru

projectorguru Godfather

Mar 5, 2007
    You guys keep sayin streatched to hell? I have no issues with my TNTHD, my 1080P TV keeps the picture looking fine, so I never see the stretch you guys say, it looks wonderful on my set

19. allargon

allargon Legend

May 2, 2007
    Nope. It depends on the content. I have to ask, do you "stretch" your standard def stuff to "avoid" the black bars?

I've seen TNT do the OBVIOUS horizontal stretching. I've seen TNT,HBO, Cinemax *and surprisingly* Monsters perform vertical stretching (2.35 movies to 1.78). The vertical stretching isn't as obvious to most. (People tend to look REALLY tall.) The horizontal stretching is just disgusting. Why even bother?

Despite complaints about A&E, I've never seen them distort the aspect ratio. BTW, I take it none of the A&E complainers subscribe to National Geographic HD as NatGeo shows a lot of 4:3 stuff, too.

20. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Then you don't know what you are talking about, or haven't actually watched more than one or two shows on TNT HD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.