1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is VOD worthwhile?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by flaguy, Aug 23, 2010.

1. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    I'm getting the HD/MRV upgrade and I have been trying to decide if it worthwhile to add the internet connection. What exactly do you get with VOD? Can you download any of the network (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) programming? Is there a charge for much or any of this stuff?

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    You can go to the DirecTV web site, and under the "What's On" tab on the top of the page you can scroll down and see all the content currently on DirecTV on Demand. No, there is not big four network DoD content at this time and I haven't heard anything coming. They did use to have some NBC stuff IIRC but they charged for it.

Besides DoD you'd also be able to use TVApps, MediaShare and DirecTV2PC by having the networks interconnected. IMHO it's worth the $25 to just pay and get it done now vs. then having something new come out that you want and then have to pay the $25 and another installation charge.

3. flaguy

flaguy AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    Thanks, Rad. That steers me in the right direction. I guess I'll add the ICK.

4. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    RAD is probably correct if it is only going to cost you $25 with MRV. However the content is nothing to get excited about. I unhooked my wireless Ethernet adapter from the HR21 (DVR) and plugged it into a Samsung Blue-ray to get Netflix, Pandora, Youtube, etc. I don't have or need MRV.

5. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I thought the ICK was free with the whole home upgrade if you asked for it?

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you put PlayOn on a PC the using MediaShare you can access all those same sites aloing with a bunch of others on any HR2X, H21/22/24 receiver.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Just like anything else with DirecTV, some folks get a CSR that will give away everything and others that think the cost is coming out of their own paycheck. YMMV.

8. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I use VOD all the time. There are plenty of free HD movies to download and its fun to sort through the music videos. There is 3D content on there as well.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Using PlayOn is not very good PQ wise & limits trickplay. I have both and the BluRay streaming blows away the HR2x. I can even stream 720p mkv files through the BR...it is the best $180 I've spent.

10. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    That's true, but the one time $80 on PlayOn allows access to all that content on all the HD STB's, not just the one TV that has the BR player connected to it.

11. jimmerz

jimmerz AllStar

Jan 25, 2010
    Not to hijack this thread, but I was a new customer to DTV back in January 2010. 8 months later I finally got around to connecting to the internet to utilize the on demand.

1. coming from cable and being able to just click and watch, I was somewhat disappointed that I had to download the content first, or at least a good portion before I started viewing it. But I can learn to live around that I guess?

2. When searching the cinema or on demand pay per view movies, I have not figured out how to "preview" a movie? Any way to watch a trailer, or something?

I tried searching the site for this particular issue and after a long search this thread was the closest.

Thanks!

12. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    just play a movie - I think the first 5 minutes are free.

13. jimmerz

jimmerz AllStar

Jan 25, 2010
    I guess that is ok, but you dont get a good idea about the movie by watching the first 5 minutes.

Good to know I am able to watch 5 minutes free though, thanks.