1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Your Dish Grounded?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Steve, Apr 28, 2007.

Is your dish grounded?

1. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not sure

68 vote(s)
    52.3%
  3. Earth Ground

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  4. House Ground

55 vote(s)
    42.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I have overseen 6 dish installations over the years (four of my own), by 6 different installers. In none of them did the installer actually run a ground wire from the dish to either an earth or a house ground. I'm curious what % of installations are actually grounded. If you know whether or not yours is, please take the poll and let us know. TIA. /s

2. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    4' grounding rod driven into the earth at the base of my 6' "dish tree".

3. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    Well, the installer did not ground the dish.

I grounded it. I tied it into the grounding rod.

4. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I ground the cables inside to bleed off noise and static, but I do not ground the dish.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That would be a no.

6. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    All coax lines and dish grounded to the same point, where the electrical box on the side of my house is grounded to.

7. 585960

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    that would be yes!!

8. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    But is that considered a house ground or earth ground? It's grounded with all the other utilities at the side of my house, but all of those run into the ground. I voted Earth Ground.

9. Tom M

Tom M Legend

Jan 3, 2007
    When I built a house and installed my own system 9 years ago I grounded the system. When I did a Movers Connection a bit over 2 years ago the installer grounded the system by connecting it to the existing ground. When I did a MC and later an HD upgrade a few months ago the installers never installed any grounds nor did they tie anything to any existing grounds.

10. 585960

585960 Legend

Feb 4, 2007
    I would think earth ground too. My reason for thinking (excuuuuse me for thinking) is the electrical box, goes to earth ground. If you ground to say a cold water pipe, etc. thats a house ground, right?

11. Fish Man

Fish Man Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    House electrical ground, telephone NID ground, and Dish/Coax ground are all clamped to the same physical ground rod (driven, I assume, by the electrician who wired the house).

12. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    In my present house, all electrical services (electricity, phone, cable, dish, multiswitches, and coax) are grounded at the same point to the same ground rod.

Likely has not been true of all my houses.

Cheers,
    Tom

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That's not always true, Tom .. But yes, it should be.

14. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Sorry, was describing my situation in my current house. I realize that many houses are not as well laid out as mine with all the services entering within a very short distance of each other. I didn't check on all my other houses, but I'm highly suspicious they were not very kosher.

Cheers,
    Tom

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Nevada County is quite "unique".
    I have a pole mount dish that goes about four feet into the ground. I have underground service with no visible signs of a ground [though the power box has seals on it limiting my inspection], and the phone line is grounded to a water pipe [which turns to PVC for the underground feed].
    Anybody want to take bets? :lol:

16. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    My Installer(s) wouldn't even know how to pronounce the word.

17. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I am an electrical engineer and inspector and routinely see dish installs done improperly. The local install company (Ironwood) that subcontracts for D* has no clue what "NEC" means let alone any of the NEC requirements. I had to get them here 5 times to properly ground my dish.. I explained to each installer what the NEC required and even printed out the pertinent pages from the code book, but it was greek to them. They do not train their employees what NEC requires. I think they get most of these guys off the street.

I ended up contacting the state atty generals office. Who knows how many other installs aren't done properly and the avg. person would have no idea. Is Ironwood liable if a home catches fire or occupant is injured because of an ungrounded satellite install?

I knew what the code required and could have done it myself, but it was Ironwood's job to do it right, not the customers.

18. Car1181

Car1181 Legend

Mar 30, 2006
    When I installed my own dish on my summer cabin I followed the directions and grounded the dish. No installer has ever grounded my dishes (Standard, 3lnb,5lnb) at my home.

19. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Bet? Noper, no way. But best guess...not very likely.

Cheers,
    Tom

20. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    These can be on the same ground rod, but each is required to have separate ground clamps on the rod. If on separate ground rods, each needs to be bonded to the electrical service ground rod.

Water lines are ok if:
    1. The home has metal plumbing. A lot of newer homes don't and the installer doesn't check or ask.
    2. If an above ground water spigot (not coming out of the home), the waterline is in contact with 10' of continuous earth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.