Issue with flashing to black (HR44/700)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Romans5.8, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Romans5.8

Romans5.8 New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Missouri
    Hey all,

So here's my setup

HR44/700 -> Pioneer VSX-819 AVR -> Vizio E700i-B3 70".

Powered by a power conditioner / battery backup unit. SWM is also on a battery backup (along with my other basement equipment, networking equipment, etc.)

I began having this issue a couple of weeks ago; especially bad on Sunday, where every few minutes the screen would flash to black; but the audio would continue. Then the image would come back (Remember audio is coming through the AVR).

The issue does NOT happen when I'm connected directly to the TV.

So sounds like the AVR is to blame right? Well, it doesn't happen with ANY other devices, including HDCP enabled devices (like streaming boxes, my PS4 playing protected content, etc.) And yes, I've tried different HDMI cables, and different inputs on the AVR, etc. And I've been hearing that this has happened before with DirecTV DVR's (The issue of it not working well with AVR's, including the flash to black issue).

Any thoughts? I'm on 0x93d. Never had this issue before. And it just boggles my mind that it has NEVER happened with any other device, but happens consistently with my HR44 when it feeds through the AVR.

Thanks!

-John

2. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Try setting your HR44 to receive only 720p
    I know this sounds strange, buy my old lovely HR34 had the exact same issue, but only when in 1080i.

Just to eliminate some possibilities.
    Report back.

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Does this issue occur on several channels or just one? Most AVRs have HDMI Pass Through. Try leaving your AVR off and see if the issue persists.

4. wxguy

wxguy AllStar

Feb 17, 2008
    central...
    Mine has done it forever it seems. I presumed the box and TV lost the HDMI handshake signal since it always returns after a few seconds. Doesn't seem to be program based since rewind and replay goes perfectly through the part that blacked out. Not likely the AVR since other devices play without fault when using the AVR to switch inputs. I think it happened before I got a genie box, but that was over a year ago and memory fades when it comes to what irritated me at the time.

5. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    Any chance there is a software update available for your AVR?

6. Romans5.8

Romans5.8 New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Missouri
    It occurs all the time. Live TV, recorded programs, you name it. Even once when I was in the settings menu; flashed to black. Image returned after a second or two.

I'll try that!

Nope. No firmware updates were ever released for it that I can see. Though it worked fine for months.

7. Romans5.8

Romans5.8 New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Missouri
    Here's a video of the issue if it'll help.

http://youtu.be/h7Za3l9rYVo

Ignore the cable draped over the cabinet, I bought a brand new high speed HDMI cable to try and absolutely make sure it wasn't a cable issue. It's still occurring with the new cable.

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Have you tried bypassing the AVR?

9. Romans5.8

Romans5.8 New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Missouri
    Yep. As I said in the OP the issue doesn't happen when bypassing the AVR. But it also doesn't happen on any other device, including wii, PS4, streaming box, etc. 1080p, HDCP protected content, you name it runs just fine. direcTV is the only source that does this (regardless of which HDMI Port it's connected to)

10. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've seen this with my HR44-200 when watching Football on my local FOX channel. Screen flashes black like in your video, audio drops on my AVR but it's discrete light stays lit. Picture returns and is followed by a momentary loss of audio. Only happens on that channel and only when they are broadcasting a Football game and only during the game and not when commercials are being shown which leads me to believe they are having technical issues with their feed. I have Sunday Ticket and do not experience the issue when watching games on other FOX channels. That said, is there any pressure on the HDMI cable going from your HR44-70 to your AVR? The HDMI port on my HR44-200 is very sensitive. The slightest touch or movement of the HDMI cable connected to my HR44-200 causes signal loss.

11. Romans5.8

Romans5.8 New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Missouri
    This is happening on all channels. I guess at this point my only recourse is to see if DirecTV will send me a new Genie; though I'm concerned it might be a software issue.

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Nothing to lose.
    I certainly would not put up with that. We pay way too much money every month to look at a picture that does what your is doing.

13. Romans5.8

Romans5.8 New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Missouri
    I just hope they don't blame my AVR and refuse to replace the genie (since it doesn't happen when plugged directly into the TV). Which might make sense; except it's not happening on any other input. I've heard though that Genie's are notoriously finicky when passing through other devices (Xbox One's, HDMI switches, AVR's, etc.)

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Can you hook all items to the AVR ( except the HR44 ) and run the HDMI to the TV from there ?
    Then run an HDMI from the HR44 to the TV and run an Optical cable from the HR44 to the AVR for it's sound ?
    Will that work for you if it stops the flashing ?

15. Romans5.8

Romans5.8 New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Missouri
    If I need to, I could. It's be a huge pain in the rear, though. Since the TV is wall mounted and the HDMI is run through the wall, so it would just be a pain. But not undoable.

Though, I would really love for it to work correctly! Then I need to switch inputs on two devices, etc. None of this is the end of the world; but hey, I pay a lot every month and it ought to work right!

16. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Even if you can get Directv to exchange the Genie, I doubt it will help. Despite the fact that it's the only device you have issue with, it seems clear the issue is actually with the Pioneer, probably HDCP as you said in your first post.

17. Romans5.8

Romans5.8 New Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Missouri
    Why would it work fine for months then and only start this behavior now? Would a failing AVR exhibit symptoms like this with only one device? (And, to be clear, the streaming box and PS4 use HDCP as well, so even with protected content they run fine). And I'm genuinely asking that. If I have to replace my AVR, then I have to replace my AVR. But if the issue is DirecTV and not my AVR; then I sure as heck don't want to replace it!

Guess I'm just trying to be thorough. Especially when I asked on another forum (more AV related), they sort of had the consensus that this was really common (DirecTV not behaving well with AVR's), so I figured I'd ask over here since you all seem to be the experts on DirecTV boxes!

18. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Trouble shooting is always a pain in the rear. If you try jimmie57's suggestion and it works it will have identified the cause of your issue.

19. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I never think of a set mounted on the wall and the cable ran in the wall. I guess there are more than I realize.

To see if it works for temporary could you just run the new HDMI cable from the HR44 to the TV and not run it in the wall ?

20. TANK

TANK Icon DBSTalk Club

Feb 16, 2003
    FLORIDA
    If you connect the hdmi directly to your flat screen and just a coax or toslink to the avr for DD. Then if you have no flashing problems ,you have ruled out the genie as the cause of the problem.