Issues (Phase 1)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Widgets (private)' started by Sixto, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Noticed a few things ...

1) If you hit the right arrow while watching a recording, you get a black screen. You need to exit out of the recording and re-enter to get back a picture.

2) After bringing up the widget screen and exiting out, while staying on the same channel, if you hit the select button, the widget screen comes up.

Edit: HR20-700

2. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I also have this. While watching a recording and you "bring up the widgets menu" the screen will go black. You must exit and resume the recording to get the picture back.

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Good start, Sixto! Are we all testing off of HR20-700? If not, we should include the DVR model in our posts ...

I have the same problem - but not consistently on my HR20-700(57). Yesterday, I could not display the Widget Dockbar over a recording, but this morning I could on one of them.

I have the season finale of Lost (MPEG4 HD from WABC-7) and I can repeatedly display the Widget Dockbar without losing video.

I just tried on several other HD recordings (The Wild, Meet the Robinsons - STARZ-HD), but this causes the video to blank out. Steps to replicate:

• LIST
    • Highlight program to watch - press PLAY
    • Wait for onscreen graphics (progress bar and info banner) to disappear
    • Press right - wait for Widget Dockbar
    • Video disappears, audio continues to play
    • EXIT to close the Widget Dockbar and return to Live TV
    • Banner will flash showing the title of the recording you just exited, but the channel number of the current Live TV channel.
    I'm not able to replicate this ... If I press SELECT on live TV after EXIT on a recording where I launched the Widgets dockbar, nothing happens.

However, while IN the recording that has gone to black video after using RIGHT for the Widget Dockbar, SELECT will TOGGLE the Dockbar open and close multiple times ...

I just tried it on LIVE TV as well, and it does the same there: press RIGHT, wait for Dockbar to load. Press SELECT, Dockbar closes. Press SELECT again, Dockbar instantly appears. Rinse and repeat. Perhaps this is intended behavior?

4. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Things I've noticed and posted previously when widgets were 1st discovered.....

If you follow the directions and press the right arrow to exit widgets:
    1) you cannot use the left arrow as the back function
    2) you cannot press and hold the info button to get to the system info screen
    3) fortunes do not work
    4) pressing select brings the widgets back up

You don't get these problems if you press exit to close the widgets, change the channel, access the guide or any other new screen (list, manage recordings, system setup, etc) after closing widgets with the right arrow. In other words, as soon as you navigate from what you were watching, it clears the above issues.

I have also experienced the problem of the screen going black when accessing widgets while watching a recording

Testing widgets on HR20-700 (system 2)

5. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    HR21-200 and HR20-700 both have it set up....

Widgets working fine still after the is weekend's updated CE's.

6. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    ONly updated the HR20-700 last night. Widegets still working on that one. No widgets on my HR21-100 and have not tried the HR21-700.

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    widgets working fine on the HR21-700 after last night's CE, same timing delays as on my HR20

8. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Widgets are working here on my HR21-700 too. Delay is about the same to the HR20. If i am watching a recording and open the dock bar. I will get a black screen. exit and resume and all is fine with the recording.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Any HR2x receivers with firmware 0x247 should now have access to the "coming soon" page for widgets.

10. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    No luck with Widgets on HR21-200. Hit right arrow, nothing (just "bong").

HR20-700 works fine. This is the registered box.

Edit: Hadn't done POKEEYENOW on HR21-200. Just enabled, awaiting results.

Edit2: It now works on the HR21-200. POKEEYENOW did it.

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It's interesting that POKEEYENOW did it. The widgets don't appear to be related to Network Services. After my HR21-700 upgraded to 0x247 last night the widget appeared right away but Network Services failed and there was no fortune. I needed to reset my router to get that working. The 'poke' must have had more than one purpose.

12. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Doug - How do we access the page? I have 0x247, but pressing SELECT when the Widget dockbar is present and I can see "Coming Soon" only closes the dockbar - it doesn't take me to a new page ...

13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Issue: Widget dockbar appears when RIGHT is pressed over video played in MediaShare, with a message that needs some tweaking.

Message: This channel contains an interactive application that cannot be displayed together with MediaShare. MediaShare has quit in order to display the application.

Questions: Is MediaShare a "channel"? Or is the Dockbar the "channel" referenced in the message?

Also, sometimes the video continues to play while the Dockbar is present, and sometimes the video stops playing. My preference would be that video should continue to play while the dockbar is on-screen, so the user experience is consistent while watching live TV, a recording, or video through MediaShare.

14. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I was trying to figure out how to word it that didn't confuse anyone :) ..

Basically, your one receiver is still the only one on the list, but you should be able to see the under-construction aspect of widgets (i.e. - everything is the same on every receiver as of this moment).

Officially, the trials have not yet started .. The earliest will be Monday and we'll know more details about what is and isn't available on each receiver.

15. MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Does network services have to be active for this to work? I haven't been able to get it to pass the test yet.

Thanks!!

16. MIAMI1683

MIAMI1683 New Member

Jul 11, 2007
    I don't think so. I have read that other people can't get "network services" to pass, yet they have the widgets dock bar. That's not to say it won't be necessary for us though.

17. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I have been unable to get network services to pass and can't get widgets either. All other networking functions (DoD, mediashare are operable).

18. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Yes, You need to have network services working for this to work. There are a few cases where the test "fails" but all other aspects of Network Services are working.

19. Doug Brott

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    What kind of router do you have? I might be able to help you out.

20. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    For those having network service test fail, are you getting new daily fortunes each day? If so, then you should be fine with widgets, because you're network service is actually working, it's most likely a bug in the service test.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.