1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It does depend who you speak with...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jerseyreef, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1 of 23
    jerseyreef

jerseyreef AllStar

Jun 8, 2007
    I'm an existing DirecTV customer and looking to upgrade to HD. I have one rcvr and one DVR. My price to upgrade to a HD DVR and HD RCVR would be ~ $328.

I called a few days ago I called and customer service rep wouldn't budge on the price or transfer me to someone would be willing to assist further. Even after saying that I'm an existing customer and would like to explore ways to retain me.

I called again today and the customer service rep gave me the same price as quoted a few days ago. After giving the same story as before, she politely said that she couldn't help me but was willing to transfer me to a department that could.

After getting transferred (which turned out to be a supervisor), I gave her the same information and she initially gave me the HD DVR for $99 (versus the $199) and when I was ready to accept that offer, she said "let me see what else I could do...".

She came back and said "that I can give you a $199 credit for the total order. The discount will be applied, after the service is installed. For a total bill of $139.81, versus $328". She went through the whole order process, we both took notes and repeated the information and ensured that I had the order number and her ID number, in case their is an issue with the order.

Needless to say, I was very pleased and happy that they we're willing to make a deal. Granted, I had to get to the right person/department. But it does matter who you speak to...

2. Jun 4, 2008 #2 of 23
    Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Yes... that's what we like to refer to as "CSR Roulette" around these parts.

In the past, CSR Roulette would net almost anybody a smoking deal. It's been said that they're cracking down on CSR Roulette. Making notes in the system what you've been offered and how many times you've called, etc.

Joe Blow, it would seem, isn't going to be able to call up and get free HD DVRs just because he's got a pulse. More established customers who haven't got a ton of freebies may still get some deals.

But more than ever, CSR Roulette is going to result in varying mileage for anyone who calls in. And I believe there was a thread a while back about someone who called in 3 times and was offered the same deal 3 times and finally the CSR suggested that he "Take the deal or move on to another company" or something along those lines....

3. Jun 4, 2008 #3 of 23
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    its pretty sad that a new customer who may only stay 2 years gets SO MUCH for signing up, while those that give $100 month for last 8+ years have to fight just to get 1 deal in that time period.
    its even sadder that the deal can't be done, unless you speak to the right person. if a certain person can do it for you, and the csr knows who can, why can't that csr do it instead of playing phone games?
    its great that you get someone finally, but why not standardize and make it easier on the customer.
    ok, done venting now :)

4. Jun 4, 2008 #4 of 23
    Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Well think of it this way...those same new customers that are getting "SO MUCH" for free from D* are going to be existing customers just like you 8 years from now. Do they have the right to bitch and complain in the future that they cant "get a deal"? Everyone got a special offer when they signed up as a new customer. I knew a lady that had an old DIRECTV Tivo unit and she was bitching that she couldn't get the free DVR that new customers get. It turns out that D* sent her a new standard DVR to swap out her owned Tivo unit, but she has kept the sent DVR unopened in her closet. She wanted ANOTHER standard DVR for free on top of the one that D* sent her for free.

5. Jun 4, 2008 #5 of 23
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    The problem is, technology changes so quickly that every two years or so, there is new equipment with new features that people want. This is almost exactly like the cell phone industry. The difference is that most cell phone providers offer equipment discounts to existing customers every 2 years in exchange for a contract renewal. High ARPU customers get even better deals, like offering upgrades every year instead of every two, and even crediting them with free minutes and such to get them to renew their contracts. Compared to this, D* acts like they could not care less if a customer leaves after the commitment term is fulfilled.

6. Jun 4, 2008 #6 of 23
    rabit ears

rabit ears Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    Boy, do you have it right!

I've been out of contract with Verizon for a couple of months and have used that time to talk to Sprint and AT&T. My basic position is that I want something more from them than I'll get if I reup with Verizon.

The latest conversation with AT&T was essentially "Give me until the end of June and I'll blow you away with what I can give you". I'm pretty positive it'll be a pair of iPhones and some attendant goodies, all Verizon has to do to get me to stay is give me a couple of XV6800's and I'll resign, but they won't budge, so I'm probably off to AT&T land for the next two years.

I've got 11 more months with D* and then I'll see what I can get out of E* and cable. If D* doesn't better the offer, I'm gone!

7. Jun 4, 2008 #7 of 23
    retention_sup

retention_sup Guest

Jun 3, 2008
    :sure: yes, if you call a number of times your account is flagged as frequent caller....yes, if you have excessive credits applied to your account for whatever reason you will get a letter basically saying back off, or disconnect, and yes, based on which agent you talk to (depending on your credit history with dtv and your programming purchases) you may/may not get equipment upgrades discounted or free. NOT EVERYONE WILL QUALIFY!!!

on a personal note, YOU WILL GET MORE RESULTS BEING NICE TO AN AGENT THAN BEING A JERK. keep in mind, in retention, we get screamed at by every tom, dick, and harry--some of which dont pay their bill, have our cheapest package, and have only been customers for 4 months....and they are "entitled" (in their opinion) to a FREE HD/DVR....:nono2:

believe it or not, sometimes these ''jerks" that i refer to, when they get on one of their rants its so fun to put them on speaker so everyone can hear how they make an a$$ outta themselves. lol.:lol:

8. Jun 4, 2008 #8 of 23
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    first, not everyone got a deal when they first signed up.
    except for the dvr sent to me (last week of Jan 2008) when I asked to quit I have gotten nothing in 8 years. no free install when I first signed up, no free receiver, absolutely nothing.
    the only deal I've gotten was the 1 dvr (I paid shipping) so they could extend me 2 years.
    and the only deal I was looking for at the time was to NOT be incorrectly billed 3 months in a row.

second, how do you know those customers are going to be here after 2 years? if that was fact they would not be so worried about constant attrition (not sure the term they use sluff maybe?) as people's 2 years come due.

9. Jun 4, 2008 #9 of 23
    diggerg56

diggerg56 Legend

Sep 26, 2007
    I know this has been mentioned before but some of us "old-timers" got a real deal when we first signed up in the mid 90's. We got to pay upwards of $800 for the RCA DSS receiver and dish, another $60 for the self-install kit and of course we got to install it ourselves!

I agree though, I do think that Directv should "throw a bone" to existing customers every once in awhile.

10. DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523 Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I signed up back in 2000 and receive no special offer. I had to pay $300 for my standard definition Hughes box and installation (with an existing dish on my new house already).

That doesn't sound like a special offer to me...:)

11. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I’ve been with Verizon since they’ve been in the cellular business (I got there through buyouts of Cellular One and GTE wireless). They have always helped me out, but my bill is usually $250-$300 per month, so I guess my ARPU is in their sweet spot. I did think about a switch to AT&T last year. They were totally disinterested in giving me a deal, though they did offer me a deal on my home hone and DSL service, but they lied about the price, refused to honor what the agent gave me in writing, then screwed it up trying to undo all the changes, and needless to say, I am happy leaving my cell service right where it is with Verizon and I’d love to switch away from AT&T and get VOIP, but that would mean dealing with Charter cable for Internet access and I’m not sure I want to do that, either.
    Oh, I’m only two months into a 24-month commitment, so I don’t have to worry about that for a long time!

12. satwood

satwood DBSTalk Club Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I just want to note that I as well have received only one "deal" since I signed up. I have purchased ALL my own boxes at full prices, dishes, and cables, etc. I did get a free replacement of my H20 a while back after I paid full price to own it when it first came out.

I think they should be doing more for customers who have been with them a long time.

13. JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez Legend

May 9, 2008
    As I have politely told DTV, existing customers get the short end of the stick. I consistently spend $140/month with them, and have never asked for much....just good service. I did try to talk them into a deal on another (I have an HR 20-100) HD DVR, and rec'd nothing. I also tried the AAA discount for existing customers (DTV +5yrs and AAA +14yrs) and was told it was no longer available??? So after recommending DTV for 5 years, I did something I thought I would never do. I told my son to try Comcast in his new house first...he would get a better deal. And he did. He may decide to switch later, but he is not locked into a contract with Comcast.

14. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    BRAVO! :righton:

15. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    Please explain Directv's policy for offering non-advertised deals on equipment and service, as well as credits for existing customers.

Based on my own experiences and those of other DBSTalk.com posters, it seems like non-advertised deals and credits are subjective based on who one speaks with at Directv. IOW, luck of the draw.

16. jprafter

jprafter AllStar

Aug 7, 2007
    On a positive note...

My experience has always been good with D*. When I initially installed in 2001 I was able to secure great deals on 3 Sony Ultimate TV DVR units. All had substantial rebates and I even got some short term reductions in service rates.

I was very pleased with those units for many years. Then HD came along. I did have some problems when I wanted my dish changed out due to inadequate training of D* technicians in the DC area at that time. So I decided to install the AT9 myself. D* was very nice after the fact and refunded the cost of the At9 in programming credits.

I also purchased a H20 and HR20. Then I saw ad's for 49$ and 99$ for new customers. I called D*, they again were super nice, and they again refunded me the difference in programming credits.

When I wanted another HR20 I called D* directly. Again they were super nice but they had none in stock. The lady asked me how much it was currently selling for at my local Best Buy, she credited the amount over 99$ and told me to go and pick one up.

I really can't say anything bad about how D* has treated me over the past 7 years. The customer service and customer retention reps have always been polite and helpful. I am very pleased with my HD lineup and the dvr capabilities. I love the CE program and participating in testing new features.

:)

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I just think about my local newspaper subscription. In order to sign you up they offer you 8 or 12 weeks at the cost of just the Sunday paper for 7 day service. Once that promo is over, you're stuck paying regular price for the remainder of time you subscribe. I have never gotten any offers of discounts after subscribing for over 13 years.

Companies use promos all the time to get new subscribers. Once you are a subscriber, you cannot and should not expect to get goodies or freebies from a company. If you get them all the better, but don't plan on it. If you think that the goodie another company offers you to steal your loyalty makes the other service better than what you currently have, then by all means jump ship.

As for me, I signed up for DirecTV and paid for two basic SD Hughes receivers (Gold and Silver) and installation when I got fed up with cable in my area. Since then, I've gotten some promos that have been offered to me (35hr DirecTivo for $99), free upgrade to an R15, and 2 free PPV movies a month for a year) that I have taken advantage of. Did I expect them? No. Would I still be with DirecTV if I didn't get those offers? Yes. I still feel my money is getting its best value by using DirecTV over another provider.

- Merg

18. boxster99t

boxster99t AllStar

Mar 9, 2008
    Not necessarily true--as anyone who signed up from Directv way back in 94-95 will tell you, there was no deal for new subscribers and the dish cost $900 with basic install no matter where you bought it from, and there were two providers--USSB and Directv.

And for a long time thereafter, when they started giving deals to new subscribers, there still were no deals for existing customers, that needed to replace a basic receiver, like I had to do when my original first receiver broke.

The only deal I ever got until recently was the FFDVR deal years back which gave you a DSR 7000 Directivo for $99 which was somewhat of a deal 4-5 years ago on whenever it was.

Now, however, there is CSR roulette :) In March, I got an HR-21, slimline dish, run of two more coax lines making 4 to the back of my set, and a wall fish, for a grand total of $19.95 shipping charge and $10/month credit for one year.

Of course, in order to get that deal, I told them truthfully, that I can go with either Dish or Fios and get HD DVR's in up to 4 rooms for free vs. Directv's price of $198.

19. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Ditto! I started with D* around 1997-1998. I bought a two-receiver and dual LNB package for about $700 and installed it myself. D* never gave me anything. They even stuck me under a two-year commitment when I added an old used UTV to my account a few years back, and this ended up precluding me from any retention deals when the HR20 came out.

20. DiSH Defector

DiSH Defector Legend

May 4, 2008
    As a former DiSH technical supervisor and sales supervisor of 3 years (as recently as about 6 months ago) I can tell you with GREAT CERTAINTY that no one can get HD DVR's in upto 4 rooms for free from Dish. A couple things:

1) Dish HD-DVR's (ViP 622/722) are dual room receivers, one room gets HD w/ DVR, 2nd room gets SD w/ DVR.

2) With Dish's new customer offer you can get *ONE* HD-DVR for free. A 2nd LEASED HD-DVR would incur an upgrade fee, which when I was there was $199. A while back you used to only be able to BUY the 2nd HD-DVR for about $599.

3) Dish has a maximum of FOUR leased tuners on an account. If your receiver is a dual tuner (like the HD-DVR is) that counts as TWO. So having just two HD-DVR's would be a $199 upgrade for a new customer, and you'd be at your four leased tuner limit.

4) Every receiver you want beyond the four leased tuner limit requires a new customer to BUY the additional receivers. Using that logic, requesting FOUR HD-DVR's as a new customer would cost $199 to lease the 2nd, then $599 x 2 to get the 3rd and 4th one, or a total of $1397 for a NEW customer (maybe a few hundred less if Dish lowered the purchase price).

There's also the matter that say Dish DID give away four HD-DVR's free. Dish also charges a DVR service fee of $5.98 per receiver along with the $6 HD lease fee. D* only charges $5.99 per account plus $4.99 lease fee per receiver. That's a difference of $20.97 per month, or $251.64 per year. In terms you can understand, that would be worth more than one FREE HD DVR upgrade per year from D*.

This part I can't be certain on because Fios isn't in my area, but I believe Fios DVR service fees are in the neighborhood of about $13.95 per month, per DVR. And additional receiver fees on top of that are higher than the $4.99/month D* charges.

Beyond all that though, if the DirecTV CSR believed you then CONGRATS!!