1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been a while

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mikhu, Oct 25, 2018.

1. mikhu

mikhu Beer Aficionado

Oct 10, 2006
    Hey everyone,

I first installed DIRECTV in 1997 and I used to be active here years ago but life got busy and I haven't been here a LONG time. Maybe some of the old timers remember me? Anyway, I have returned looking for some advice.

I am currently running the following equipment:

(1) HR44-700
    (2) HR24-100
    (1) C31 wired client
    (1) C31 wireless client

I have the XTRA package but nothing else. I dropped the Sports Pack a month or so ago when they dropped BEIN. I used to get NFLST but I haven't bothered the last couple years.

Based on the age of those devices it should be pretty obvious I'm not under contract. I have been paying for the protection plan that includes device upgrades but I haven't taken advantage of it yet.

If I called the number for device upgrades what could I expect to get as an offer? Does that plan upgrade everything every two years or just one item every two years?

The bigger question is would it be worth it? I also have 45MB AT&T internet and phone and the service is average at best. Neighbors with Spectrum have been having better luck with that internet service in our area. I'm trying to decide if I continue to deal with average internet and new DIRECTV boxes, keep DIRECTV and switch internet providers, or switch to Spectrum completely, which admittedly is the least attractive option.

Thoughts & opinions?

Thanks!

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it's depend how you as a customer represented in DTV system
    so, only your call to CSR will reveal what exactly offer you could get

3. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    With the equipment that you already have, the only possible "upgrades" available would be to (A) upgrade your HR44 to an HR54 and your wired mini to a 4K mini. But, they would only consider that if you already have a 4K TV. The other "upgrade" would be to replace your HR44 with an HS17 (whole home server) and a mini (because the HS17 doesn't have any direct outputs) and your two HR-24's with minis (you can't have anything other than minis if you have an HS-17). This "upgrade" would reduce the number of recordable tuners in your system from 9 to 7. But, it would allow for up to 2 simultaneous 4K feeds.

So, realistically, unless you really want 4K programming (which is extremely limited right now), there really isn't anything that could be considered an upgrade for you right now.

4. linkstorinks

linkstorinks New Member

Aug 13, 2014
    MN
    Well honestly, the service and when you could get an installer in your area would also be like playing roulette right now at dtv even more than ever. Guess it depends on how much time you have on your hands for minimal upgrade in equipment etc. I had 6 receivers and was with them for 14 years and the only ones they wanted back were the genie and client. My suggestion would be to trial a streaming service with the channels you want etc for free, I was always personally more of a redzone person for NFL especially with the amount of games on now and the more and more in London is ST even worth it anymore?

5. horace clark

horace clark New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Well it depends on whether you are trying to save money or you want the best setup. The cheapest way would be to go with Spectrum and do the triple play. However if you want the best setup you should drop at&t internet and get spectrum for internet only. Then call Directv and get an HS17 and 3 c61k’s all free and ask for $40 a month off promotion. Your current equipment is getting old and now is a great time to upgrade. I’ve been with directv since 2002 and I usually upgrade every 3 years at no cost to me. Good luck.