1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its Been Awhile...Is the HR20 "Ready for Primetime" Yet???

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by perilous, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perilous

perilous Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    ....can some of you "summarize" the current status of this box? Last time I reviewed thoroughly, lots of bugs/glitches, etc. so I kept my HR10 Tivo box and added Calevision HD for better HD picture quality, local NYC sports in HD, plus now have Voom HD channels too!

Current quick review suggests now there are now issues with "BBC's" (apparently necessary for MPEG4 roll-out in Sept.), still no dual buffers (or definite word from D*TV as to whether that feature will EVER be added/implemented) and "hope" that all this new "capacity" will once and for all end HD-Lite.

Can anyone "convince" me that now is the time to call "retention" and get me an HR20 "deal" or should I wait and see what happens and keep my trustworthy HR10 Tivo with DLB "live" for now until all shakes out in a few months -- in other words, why do I NEED an HR20 now with all the potential headaches??? :confused:

2. spoonman

spoonman Icon

Feb 21, 2007
    I changed in the spring to a HR20. It was a little hard at first to give up my HR10. I was using the HR10 as a backup, but just last week I turned it off forever and got a second HR20. The only issue I had was the hard drive went in my first HR20, but that could happen with any thing with a hard drive in it. And D* had a replacement to my house in two days. Overall, I say the box is solid and will have an interesting future with VOD coming.

3. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I got two of them in September and had all the major bugs at first and with every release the boxes got much better. I have not had any major problems in 5 or 6 months. I have also had very few minor problems since. I added another HR20 in May and I will be adding one or two more. I was a long time TiVo user and I actually like the HR20 much better. I would say go for it now. Also longer you wait longer it is going to take to get one. Since the new MPEG4 HD channels are starting in September DIRECTV is going to start backing up on installs soon because people are going to want to be ready when they launch.

4. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    I have had my HR20 for 11 days now. No reboots, and no other major problems of any kind. Go for it now (and beat the rush in Sept.).

5. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I purchased three units in the last few months. Wrote this summarizing the good and bad recently. Hope it is of some help

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=91721

If you don't get an HR-20 you will not receive any of the new HD channels which are supposedly starting around September...or at the latest by the end of the year. They seem to be trying to fix the issues...and at the very worst if you get it now your two-year commitment will be up sooner if they don't.

There have been some rumors of an HR-21, but no real information on what it is or when/if it will be available.

As for your specific questions.

The BBCs appear to be necessary for the new channels. They come with each unit and more, if necessary, can be ordered from DirecTV. I'm not sure this is a huge issue...but I guess we'll all find out sooner or later :)

There are no Dual Live Buffers available on the unit and it has not been promised as a feature.

There has been no mention of how much/little compression will happen once the new satellite goes live.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    At this point if you're looking for a solid HD DVR, look no further. Most of the complaints I hear these days are about "extra features" like Media Sharing.

Just my opinion, from someone who's been living with one since 10/06.

7. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    +1

The HR20 is much, much better today than it was last September when I started. It isn't perfect, but it is very good. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to the casual user.

I would not recommend it to the perfectionist, anal-retentive, or someone who views their use of a DVR as "mission critical"...it still has some issues, and will likely continue to have various issues for quite some time to come.

Depending on how you use the HR20 these could be considered "minor" as Lamont indicates (and how I assess them as well), or "major" if the issue you experience affects something you feel strongly about.

People are all over the map with their "issues". The vast majority of people seem to be happy with how the HR20 is progressing, and its usability in its current state. Those who aren't happy, are VERY unhappy and tend to be quite vocal about it.

When you figure out how you might fit into this spectrum of the user community, you can make an informed decision on whether it's time ....or if it will ever be time, for you to make the move. Ken S. breaks down some of the issues he is experiencing nicely. If you were in his situation, could you work through it without spiking your blood pressure? The probability that all his issues would impact you in the same way is fairly low...however, if they did, could you deal with it?

If yes, then go ahead. If no, then wait or find another provider.

Because the unit isn't perfect, no one can tell you if it is "ready for prime-time". Everyone's prime-time is different. The way in which the HR20 may not be "prime-time" is what you have to be concerned about.

As for me, I'm quite pleased with the HR20 as it stands, and very optimistic about its future development. D* is working hard on its issues, feature set and overall performance. They are on a fast development cycle and they listen to the segment of the user community that is trying to help develop the box. I'm not sure what more I would ask for (but I'm sure that there are those, that no matter what they do, it will never be enough...I just don't happen to be one of them):)

8. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Well, I'd say it's been ready for prime time for at least 6 months now. Certainly doesn't mean there aren't problems or people with problems as every receiver out there has problems no matter how "ready for prime time" it is. But overall it's very solid now and works great for most people.

Your decision is actually pretty simple: If you want to continue with DirecTV and get the new HD (and eventually all HD from the sats) then the HR20 is your only choice.

9. lman

lman Legend

Dec 21, 2006
    It would be ready for prime time if it had DLB. It currently is inferior to my previous DirecTivo since it lacks this feature along with 30 second skip. It seems that DirecTV is catering to the advertisers instead of their customers.

10. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    +1

I can't say that I've ever had any major issue with either of my HR20's. A few minor, isolated irritants here and there, but nothing that was a recurring problem.

11. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Lack of DLB doesn't make it not ready for prime time. It's simply a design descision.

12. boltjames

boltjames Icon

Sep 3, 2006
    I was nervous to drop my HR10 and decided to take the plunge to the HR20 only because of the new sattelite going up and the 100+ channels that can only be pulled down on the new HR20's MPEG4 circuitry.

My reaction after the first six weeks?

I was stupid to wait so long. The HR20 is actually better than the HR10 in many ways. There are no "headaches". To me, losing the dual buffer and gaining faster menus, MPEG4 RSN's, and the phenomenal native mode is a tradeoff that slants heavily in the HR20's favor.

BJ

13. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003
    I had one of the first HR10s in the country. Added a second one about two years ago. I dragged my feet, following the trials and troubles of early adopters of the HR20s.

Had two of the 100s units installed two weeks ago just ahead of the launch. While it takes some getting used to because of the differences -- I actually have to think about what I want to do rather than rely on muscle memory -- I think the new units are great. Nothing mechanical is flawless, but these guys are more than a match for the TiVo, IMO. Dual buffers don't outweigh the new features for me.

14. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    I agree. I've never seen anything from DirecTV that stated it would ever have DLBs.

15. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    If you need to be "convinced" then you're not ready for the HR20.

16. boltjames

boltjames Icon

Sep 3, 2006
    Well, just in case he does:

September 16, 2007 - HR10 Owner - 14 HD Channels, 14 by December 30.

September 16, 2007 - HR20 Owner - 40 HD Channels, 100 by December 30.

The move is inevitable. Waiting makes no sense.

BJ

17. stiffi

stiffi Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    I've had mine for a month, and I love it. No problems (knocking on wood) to speak of yet with the box. I prefer it over the HR10-250 for a lot of reasons, but the kicker for me was locals in HD over satellite. If you are in a market that has locals in HD, I can't see any reason to wait.

Oh and the dual live buffers, for pete's sake, get over it. :nono2:

18. judson_west

judson_west Godfather

Jun 15, 2006
    I upgraded/converted 3 months ago and have been very happy since. While some minor issues still exist for me, the basic function of recording what I want when I want it is solid.

19. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Yes - Ready for primetime. And morning talk shows. And mid-day soaps. And weekends ...

20. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It doesn't make coffee or give massage, either. I guess it's time to return my HR20 and ask for a refund.:)

It's hard not to respond to the DLB drum....an unpromised feature from a totally different receiver and it's been beaten to death. I've almost gone from the point of wanting it, to hoping they never do it. Now, that's a bad attitude.:D

Tongue in cheek, folks, don't blow a blood vessel. Being a sports fan, I'm sure it would be nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.